Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

How Would You Fix It?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Steering wheel wobble (7 member(s) have cast votes)

How should I fix the steering wheel wobble?

1. Drill and install a roll pin. (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Install as is with Locktite. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Other solution (explain) (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 10:15 AM

After looking at that picture it makes me wonder what keeps  the wheel from sliding down the shaft ?  That tube right below it ?  If it does it must rub when you tighten it down ?

#17 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,142 Thanks
  • 4,558 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'm going to go with those who would shim it.

Ben W.

Vandalize an old feeler gauge and find the size that tightens things up..  Chop it off and install the wheel with it..  Done this many times over the years..  

#18 DougT OFFLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,530 Thanks
  • 4,183 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:57 AM

Casey, Did you check out the service manual here? http://gardentractor...and-front-axle/

It looks like there should be some thin shim washers between the wheel and column. The manual states no endplay, just loose enough to turn.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#19 gopher OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2755
  • 562 Thanks
  • 619 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 05:57 PM

If its like  my 79 224 you might as well figure on replacement wheel. The wheel has a lack for better description large nut shape fused into wheel that's that is was the nut tightens against.So more than likely its separating from that insert.  

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 12:31 PM

The problem is between the shaft and the wheel center, not the wheel and it's center hub.

Read the manual DougT linked and learned a lot about the steering I did not know, and a few things that caused the issue I have. My intellect tells me that Case/Ingersoll switched to the roll pin mounted steering wheel for a reason, and chances of that reason being my exact problem in possible, but mabey just an assembly decision (less parts/adjustment). Anyway, all the ideas to shim it are good but I just don't think that is the solution for serviceability later, although I did install a bronze bushing. I do not like the ideas of "epoxy" type products due to the permanent nature. I am thinking about just attacking it with a drill and going for roll pin... as much as I hate possibilty of failure, it does seem like a better long term solution, because all the other options seem to point to rework later. I just wish that they had designed a taper fit to start with, or something. I mean certainly all the other GT's with rolls pins in the steering wheels are all steering just fine. And short of pulling the current shaft and replacing it the better option would be drill it. Might be a one shot deal but it is a one time fix that can be repaired later. Certainly the keyed shafts are not being sold new anymore. Ok, guess I am going to go try to drill a straight hold thru the wheel and shaft.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,240 Thanks
  • 29,695 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 12:40 PM

Likely drilling & pinning is the best overall solution.  But being it can still have roll effect on the pin, do as you've already said & tighten the nut till you snug up to the pin tight.