Well, job done! That is one greasy, time-consuming, job that isn't for the faint hearted. I ruined three sets of clothes, and one seal. Fortunately the store replaced the seal as being "out of round". Everything was coated in years of oil soaked dirt with the texture of either grease or cement.
Once I had the case split, I needed to make a new gasket. Fortunately I had some gasket material laying around from a previous project. It was good to see the internals are still in good shape after all these years.
I found the easiest way to install the seals was to use an ABS pipe fitting. The OD for the threaded end was just small enough to fit inside the hole and ID was just right for riding on just the edges of the seal. Tapped it in with a small tack hammer. The plastic absorbed most of the shock. Preparation, patients, & pre-lube and are the key words.
While I had the DB in pieces, I took the opportunity to change the engine to one that will let the hood close. I borrowed Traill95's idea to use a modified breather cover. Mine was a soup tin. I had to make a new rod to hold it in place. The carb is #10 - 32 thread and I could not find a long enough bolt, so I used some ready rod & threaded one end at #10 - 32 and the other at #10 - 24 for a standard wing nut.
I also made some hinge pins out of a broken mower brake rod and some washers. Oh, and I finally got the clutch adjusted properly. Guess it needed a good cleaning first.
Some days, you can win.
Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, June 15, 2013 - 09:16 PM.