37 replies to this topic

#31 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Super pumped! Somehow I got the owner first on the CL ad for this Bolens 1556. Comes with tiller and deck. Everything works, just says it got an air lock in one of the hydrualic lines. Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. Only a 2 hour drive, well worth it! I know I've seen people mention the Tecumseh motors aren't as good or desirable as the Wisconsin, but it runs and hopefully ill be cutting grass this weekend. Here's the pic from the ad, more pics to follow after I get it. Anybody dealt with air lock in the hydraulic lines on these? What's the fix? Thanks for any help.

congrats on the 1556.. when I got my 1225 it had been sitting in a shed since 1989 the PO said everything was fine when he parked it but I burned oil so when I got it home I put a new battery in, cleaned the carb and drained/flushed the old brown gas out the tank. filled the hydo oil thank with atf an fired it up tried the hyd lift, nothing happened so I moved the hydo pedal an it moved 1mm so I shut it down removed the hyd filter it was dryier then my wishing well so I put it back on but left it loose, started it back up moved the pedal back and forth and kept looseining the filter until oil came out so I tightened the filter toped off the hydro fluid... no problem since... hope this helps you, Sam

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#32 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 02:06 PM

Got her running!!!! So excited...so funny thing is now...the drive belt is broke. I pushed it over to grass and and turned on the PTO. It cuts grass...now I gotta find a belt, read Dr.Bolens pinned thread on how to install...and cut grass. Anybody with a 1556 know what size the drive belt is?...and if an auto part store would carry it?

What got her running was massaging the fuel pump by lightly blowing, then lightly breathing in, fuel pump CPR. After that it started pumping fuel again. Only had to intake a small amount of gas in the mouth...well worth it...haha.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3576.jpg

• OldBuzzard and OkieGt have said thanks

#33 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Got the old shredded belt off...went down to Napa and got a new one...30". Can't stop smiling after cutting the grass. Thanks for all the help. Now I'll slowly be cleaning this thing one piece at a time, sandblast, paint, sandblast, paint, repeat, etc...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3579.jpg
  • IMAG3583.jpg
  • IMAG3584.jpg

• OldBuzzard and OkieGt have said thanks

#34 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Glad to hear its running!

Looks like fun to me.

Nothing like cutting grass on a Bolens :thumbs:

#35 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Got done mowing the grass, was heading for the shed when I saw a blade I missed. I went back for it, engaged the PTO, and....the PTO belt broke. My first lesson on don't replace one belt at a time...do them both...lol. Bonehead of the day!
  • OkieGt said thank you

#36 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 11, 2013 - 09:03 PM

Lots of lessons to be learned in this hobby and like life, it's best not to make the same mistake more than once. The guys that engineered these tractors did such a great job they lasted for decades and we take for granted the belt is okay if it's still working or think the belt couldn't be more than a year old if it is still working, in actuality the belt was probably over 10 years old. I hope to have a large frame in the Future, my 1976 H16 is my first Bolens, color me green and impressed from a red and orange tractor guy.

#37 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 12, 2013 - 08:51 AM

Lots of lessons to be learned in this hobby and like life, it's best not to make the same mistake more than once. The guys that engineered these tractors did such a great job they lasted for decades and we take for granted the belt is okay if it's still working or think the belt couldn't be more than a year old if it is still working, in actuality the belt was probably over 10 years old. I hope to have a large frame in the Future, my 1976 H16 is my first Bolens, color me green and impressed from a red and orange tractor guy.

Couldn't agree more, it's really to bad things aren't engineered and manufactured like they were then. These days we have tools that replace people that can do amazing things, unfortunately the tools are used to use the least amount of material and cheap as possible for most profit.

Looking forward to trying out the tube frame with the tiller. We'll see how she does. I have a large frame (1455), but the wiring on it is totally cobbled. It has a Wisconsin with Solid State Ignition. I may end up selling it pretty cheap. I'd love to buy this one, looks like a nice restoration done on it. Who would go buy a new one from a box store when you could have 5 times the tractor with this? http://portland.crai...3857500135.html

One more question, how much travel up and down should the mowing deck move with the hydro? I can see the cylinder is coming out a good 8 inches, but the deck is only travelling maybe 2 inches up and down.

Here's one more picture of the 1556 with my IH CC #2 trailer behind it. My 2 year old loves old tractors and sat with me the entire time I mowed the acre of grass...when I'm not on it, he still is. :D

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3589_2_1.jpg

• OkieGt said thank you

#38 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Finally got the tiller mounted up after putting four new belts on and getting the carb dialed. It did good. No need for wheel weights as you can tell...lol. My wife got me a gym membership so I think im getting the hint. The tiller made quick work of a flower bed that was overrun by weeds. Hydraulic lift is very nice, I'd be dead if I had to manually lift the tiller. Hoping to get some tomatoes in the ground, and some peppers. Just want some veggies for fresh salsa.

• sacsr said thank you