37 replies to this topic

#16 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hah...yeah, this one was 130 miles one way...not to bad.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#17 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:19 PM

So I'm a little worried about the hydrualic issue he the po referred to. Being that this thing is hydrostatic, when the brake is released, shouldn't it free wheel when the brake is released? It moves, but it is making noises like gears meshing, and is resistive to move. Need to download the manuals.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#18 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,733 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:34 PM

There is a free wheeling pin that needs pulled out to make it roll.Seems like it is around one of the rear wheels.(left??)

• Oregon_Bolens and OkieGt have said thanks

#19 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:34 PM

So I'm a little worried about the hydrualic issue he the po referred to. Being that this thing is hydrostatic, when the brake is released, shouldn't it free wheel when the brake is released? It moves, but it is making noises like gears meshing, and is resistive to move. Need to download the manuals.

My H16 doesn't free wheel, and it sounds like that when I push it, and it runs fine, many hydraulic issues are old/low fluid and clogged filter. Many hydros have different or no free wheeling options and some quit orking. I have a Simplicity that I had to loosen up the automatic release buttons because they had rusted in the drive position, so that when you lift the release the tractor was still in gear because the buttons didn't come up. Real serious problems on hydros are rare and most fixes are cheaper and easier than geared tractors in my opinion. I base that on others telling me about clutch and gear problems on their tractors, My 12 tractors are all hydros, oops one shuttle shift.

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#20 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:35 PM

There is a free wheeling pin that needs pulled out to make it roll.Seems like it is around one of the rear wheels.(left??)

Thanks a bunch Doug!!!!!!!

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#21 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Thanks a bunch Doug!!!!!!!

The hydro tube frames dont have the pin.

The hydros dont push very well take the drive pedal in one hand move it well pushing it there is a spot were the pedal has to be at for it to move.

• DougT, Texas Deere and Horse, Oregon_Bolens and 1 other said thanks

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:58 PM

The hydros dont push very well take the drive pedal in one hand move it well pushing it there is a spot were the pedal has to be at for it to move.

Thanks Jerome, I wondered about that on Dad 1257, it's very hard to move without a forklift. :D

• OkieGt said thank you

#23 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I don't believe this has the pin. Glad to hear about your tractors doing the same thing OkieGT. Don't know when Ill get to get started on this but can't wait. Maybe after teeball, lunch, birthday party, home depot, oh...and possibly bed bath & beyond if we get lucky.

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 03:44 PM

:ditto:

Also use the Idler Lockout when manually moving the tractor

• Oregon_Bolens and OkieGt have said thanks

#25 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 03:05 PM

Okay, got the 1556 to fire, and also got all the lights working, =). The petcock was clogged, so I pulled all the fuel lines, replaced the old ones, and cleaned everthing.Napa won't have a new fuel filter until Tuesday. With the air filter off, the tractor will run spraying the carb cleaner down the carb, but won't continue to run for more than a few seconds, or as much of the cleaner as I spray. The P.O.said he rebuilt the carb 8 months ago, I can't know...looks like thats the next step?, pulling the carb for a good clean? I do this will I need new gaskets? Any advise? Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate this forum as everyone is helpful and respectful.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG3518.jpg
  • IMAG3524.jpg

#26 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Carb looks good. Just no fuel pressure.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#27 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Okay, got the 1556 to fire, and also got all the lights working, =). The petcock was clogged, so I pulled all the fuel lines, replaced the old ones, and cleaned everthing.Napa won't have a new fuel filter until Tuesday. With the air filter off, the tractor will run spraying the carb cleaner down the carb, but won't continue to run for more than a few seconds, or as much of the cleaner as I spray. The P.O.said he rebuilt the carb 8 months ago, I can't know...looks like thats the next step?, pulling the carb for a good clean? I do this will I need new gaskets? Any advise? Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate this forum as everyone is helpful and respectful.

Surely, that's not the stock fuel filter??? Check and see if your getting fuel from the fuel pump into the carb, but the biggest reason for it not running could be the little needle above the float, take it out and clean up that hole, if it;'s clogged, NO fuel will enter the bowl

#28 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 05:10 PM

Carb looks good. Just no fuel pressure.

The fuel pump uses pressure from the crankcase, are you gettingPressure, or are you getting gas out of the line after the pump? might be time for a new pump :-(

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Never seen a Fuel filter like that used on any Bolens!

#30 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 149 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 01:05 PM

Didn't get any more time on it yesterday, but hopefully today I can check the fuel filter, and the needle above the float. I sure would like to use this tractor around my place. I had no idea what the fuel pump was, but after looking at the manual, it is the little plastic box connected to the crankcase and the carburetor, makes sense. I found a rebuild kit on ebay, or other forum discussions have mentioned buying a cheap electric automotive pump that runs when the key is on. Anybody heard of this?