Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Almost Put The 214 Up For Sale Today! Argh!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:00 AM

I finally got a chance to till the garden today and when I went to start the beast it went "clunk, clunk, rrrrrrrr."  Seems as though the bolts loosened from the starter mount and broke one off in the block.  Of course there is no room to move in there so I ended up pulling the engine (again).  I pulled it last summer to locate an oil leak.  I'm getting pretty good at this 214 engine removal thing!  Under 2 hours to pull it, extract the bolt, and reset it in its home, along with some new points and a good static timing.  Oh how I love/hate John Deeres sometimes!

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:04 AM

I hate it when that happens...one positive thing, you knew what to do to.....fix it! 

#3 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,637 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:14 AM

You know I could brought the 1050 into town to do some tilling for you :D   Its pretty reliable.

Atleast it wasn't an exspensive fix, just a time consuming one.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 05:30 AM

It's a Kohler engine problem not really a JD problem. Could have happened to any brand that uses a K321.

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#5 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:56 PM

It's a Kohler engine problem not really a JD problem. Could have happened to any brand that uses a K321.

Yep, sh*t happens - one of my business cars, an AUDI A3, was the first 6 month, when I got it, in the workshop.

They called me to retrieve the car and when I got it, I had a little drive trough a roundabout traffic - and back to the workshop...

And an AUDI is not a cheap car :mad2:

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 03:17 PM

True Brian, but I've never worked on another make with a Kohler that was so difficult to work on the engine without pulling it completely out of the tractor.   :wallbanging:

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Never owned a 200 series Daniel. Since it's not shaft drive it should be easier to get the engine out than my 314. Having the crank running side to side would put a lot of the stuff you need to access front and back rather than on the sides like on the 314. They also have tall frame side rails which places more of the engine down below the top of the frame. They used that same basic design style of frame from the 110 all the way to the 318 when it came out in 83. In general I'd agree that it's difficult to access a lot of the mechanical stuff inside the rails. The designers had a tendency to use really elaborate linkages as well. The hydro linkage on a 300 series for instance is a real monster. I figure all brands have their problem areas when it comes to repair access.