• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 09:43 AM

It's a T70B. I considered that someone might have put an older T205 serial tag on it but the tag is from Panzer Products (Virginia Metalcrafters). T205s were out of production long before Metalcrafters bought them. The 2 is a misprint.

I bow to those that know these tractors.  My 1st thought was it was a B, but that didn't fit with the "20".  We've all seen mis-stamps of numbers on ID plates before, so this must be one of them.

#17 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 09:49 AM

For reference, there's a document out there with one dealer's sales records. The first serial number close to your 77011 that he sold was 76966 in September 1962 and then 77056 in November 1962 so it's pretty safe to assume production in late summer to early fall of 1962 for your tractor.

I hate trying to guess value as Panzers seem to be all over the place, price-wise. More so than a lot of other brands. I see crazy prices on ebay and craigslist and someone often pays it but I've also seen a lot of these sell at auctions and they never seem to bring anywhere near online prices. It's hard to judge real value. I would expect to see your tractor online for anywhere from $500-$1000 and maybe even higher but actual selling price would probably be more like $300-$400?????
When I first got interested in them, I attended an auction advertised heavily in the GT community so there was no lack of interested parties. They were selling a T70 like yours that is still, by far, the nicest non-restored one I've seen. It came with multiple Panzer attachments and ALL original sale and service literature. I assumed it would sell for WAY out of my budget so I just attended out of curiosity. There were probably five people in on early bidding but only two after about $300. It only ended up bringing $550. This would easily have brought $1500+ online. Wish I had brought the money....

Edited by Canawler, June 07, 2013 - 09:51 AM.

• sacsr said thank you

#18 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think you have a good looking Panzer there with a lot of potential. The engine not being original is nothing to worry about. I adjust the price if the engine doesn't run, but it doesn't change my decision to buy a Panzer. Your T70B looks to be in very good condition. I personally have spent as little as $30 on a Panzer and as much as $500 and everything in between. The mower decks and push blades are by far the most common attachments. The pto is a nice feature to have as well. It's hard to believe 50 years later, these little Panzers have pretty much held their value. They have very few parts that are troublesome. If you keep everything lubed, adjusted and maintained I know your Panzer will be around another 50 years! Congratulations on your find and welcome to the club.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#19 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thank you guys, I paid $200 for it. I felt he would have taken less, but to be fair, I didn't want to rob him blind either. 

The engine starter turns, he has a push button solenoid on it. The fuel tank has some rust in it, and it's hard to get moving. It seems it's been sitting a while and doesn't roll easy at 1st, but once you get it moving, she rolls fine. The tire chains aren't helping any right now. 

Sadly it's still sitting at the shop, I plan on bringing her home this week and parking her in the garage, my only day off is today and I need to get the pool ready...

I also have 4 bush hogs in the garage who are staring at this yellow thing known as a cub cadet and wondering why that's in there. 

I will try to get working on the case today too. Thanks for the info and warm welcomes, looking forward to getting this home!

• sacsr and KBCraig have said thanks

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 11:02 AM

You got a SUPER deal Titus!  And as to the Hogs staring down the yellow....better watch out,. as they may part out the cub on ebay & buy some Hog parts while you're not looking!  :smilewink:

• Titus said thank you

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Wow!  The turquoise will really throw the Hogs for a loop. :thumbs:

The hard rolling is probably one or both brakes sticking.  I've heard of people just lubing the pivot point in the back and working the linkage a bit to free up the brakes without needing to pull the axles and drums.  It would be worth a shot in your case.

#22 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Man.....Titus you get all the good deals!!!  Congrats and nice find!! One of the few other makes that if I stumbled on one in my travels would have to get loaded into the truck

#23 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks guys! I got the tire chains off, and the rear tires are still giving me trouble moving freely. On both sides there's a welded rod to a circle piece that goes to the brakes, that isn't moving. I would assume that's the brake? 

I also tried getting the drums off, but no such luck. I think because the brakes are possibly locked up that I can't get the drums off.

What was the original engine in this model?

Thanks again

#24 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted June 16, 2013 - 02:52 PM

Titus, I think that should have had 7 HP Briggs in it,,,, Did that guy come out of Mass. with that ? There was one on CL last week not far from me and the guy never got back to me !

#25 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:53 PM

He had RI plates on the truck, so I doubt it. He never said he had it online either. I have the tires off of this, hoping to get this rolling freely soon.

#26 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think the original engine may have been the 6hp briggs.  But guys that have the original engine weren't all that impressed with the power - especially if you are running a mower deck.  So go for the original engine if getting it to spec is important to you. but these tractors will run about any engine that has the right output shaft for your 3 pulley. I have a 16hp on mine and it handles it no problem.

#27 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:55 AM

I think the original engine may have been the 6hp briggs.  But guys that have the original engine weren't all that impressed with the power - especially if you are running a mower deck.  So go for the original engine if getting it to spec is important to you. but these tractors will run about any engine that has the right output shaft for your 3 pulley. I have a 16hp on mine and it handles it no problem.

With 16 hp you can pull the Budweiser Beer wagon lol !

#28 hscltb OFFLINE  

hscltb
  • Member No: 15235
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 08:23 PM

The original engine should be an 143302 briggs.

#29 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 12:12 PM

So I got this into the garage last night to tinker with since Amber is in love with it and wants to fix it with me. The engine has 0 spark and an enormous mouse nest inside by the flywheel. This things been sitting for a while...

So I take the top "hood" off and what do I find, it looks like they cut the steering shaft and re-welded it to fit the engine they put in it! Unless that's stock?

I'll snap some photos after work...

#30 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 196 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted September 13, 2013 - 02:37 PM

It's prbly stock. My T70 has a U shaped relief welded in to clear the gas tank.