skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 06:09 PM

Never mind! I need to learn to read.

If you ran the resiovoir dry you might have some damage.

I have looked for information on "Kleen-flo No.1 EP hydraulic fluid." And was unsuccessful, so I don't know how it compares to Dextron. In my Sunstrand hydro that has combined circulation between final drive, hydro pump and motor I use Valvoline Universal premium Tractor Fluid, a specific substitute for AC Power Fluid 821 which has an EP component and is also preferred for the BGB. I believe it is ISO 32. I don't know if that fluid can be safely used in the Vickers hydrostatic you have.

Edited by skunkhome, July 21, 2013 - 11:13 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#47 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 09:22 PM

You must not have read far enough in the operator's manual. The transmission final drive uses 80 EP oil, but the hydrosatatic transmission pump uses Dexron ATF. 

Well I did exactly what I read in the manual. Since the filter canister was opened I filled it to the oil level plug

Capture.PNG

Edited by hatedge, July 20, 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#48 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 03:32 AM

Well I did exactly what I read in the manual. Since the filter canister was opened I filled it to the oil level plug

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

The instructions that you posted don't refer to the figure (picture) beside them. They refer to Figure 1 on page 3 of the manual. 

• hatedge said thank you

#49 sammiefish OFFLINE  

sammiefish

• Member No: 7456
  • 8 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:25 AM

here is the spec page from my manual:

300specs.jpg

• hatedge said thank you

#50 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:30 PM

The instructions that you posted don't refer to the figure (picture) beside them. They refer to Figure 1 on page 3 of the manual. 

I dont want to argue but it clearly says fill with 80 EP fluid to level plug.... Thats what I beleive Ive done... no? I included the image next to the text to show the level to witch I filled the cannister. Dont get me wrong Achomesteader I think youve more experience that I, but I dont understand Why you say I did wrong. Is it just misunderstanding?

Edited by hatedge, July 22, 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#51 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Never mind! I need to learn to read.

If you ran the resiovoir dry you might have some damage.

I have looked for information on "Kleen-flo No.1 EP hydraulic fluid." And was unsuccessful, so I don't know how it compares to Dextron. In my Sunstrand hydro that has combined circulation between final drive, hydro pump and motor I use Valvoline Universal premium Tractor Fluid, a specific substitute for AC Power Fluid 821 which has an EP component and is also preferred for the BGB. I believe it is ISO 32. I don't know if that fluid can be safely used in the Vickers hydrostatic you have.

This is all I get : 

Oil formulated for maximum performance in high temperature, extreme pressure applications. Contains anti-foam and anti-friction additives. Protects against internal rust and corrosion. Reduces wear. Meets or exceeds ISO specifications. Only for industry use. Not recommended for applications requiring a Dextron II or TDH type fluid.

Product number Capacity

winter

929 ISO 32
nr 1 205 l 930 ISO 32
nr 1 20 l summer 931 ISO 68
nr 2 20 l 932 ISO 68
nr 2 205 l 933 ISO 46
nr 3 20 l 935 ISO 22 20 l

#52 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 04:13 PM

I dont want to argue but it clearly says fill with 80 EP fluid to level plug.... Thats what I beleive Ive done... no? I included the image next to the text to show the level to witch I filled the cannister. Dont get me wrong Achomesteader I think youve more experience that I, but I dont understand Why you say I did wrong. Is it just misunderstanding?

I'm sorry that I've not been able to explain to you, so that you can understand, where to fill with the 80 EP oil and where to fill with Dexron ATF. Maybe it has to do with the terms used in the manual to describe different components of the hydrostatic transmission. Let me try again and start with this:

The hydrostatic transmission includes two major units: a hydrostatic unit and a gearbox.

The hydrostatic unit's major components are the motor and pump assembly, reservoir, fluid lines and cooler. The hydrostatic unit is filled with Dexron ATF through the top of the reservoir. Fill to the oil level plug located on the side of the reservoir.

The gearbox is filled with 80 EP oil through the 90 degree street elbow that is screwed into the side of the gearbox. The elbow is visible just inside the rear drawbar of the tractor. Fill to the bottom of the plug hole of the elbow.

I hope this helps and is a little clearer.

Edited by achomesteader, July 23, 2013 - 04:22 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#53 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 09:53 PM

It took me a couple of months to figure out the different parts of the drive system.  It wasn't until I rebuilt the Vickers T66X that I really got it.  Maybe some photos will help.

These are the major assemblies: 

Parts with labels.jpg

The T66X is a self contained system that does not share fluids with the Gearbox.  The T66X takes Dexron.  The Gearbox takes 80 EP.

Rebuild 0.jpg  

Here is a photo of the gearbox opening where the T66X fits into the Gearbox.

GearCase.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 23, 2013 - 09:55 PM.

• achomesteader and hatedge have said thanks

#54 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 04:54 PM

I hope this helps and is a little clearer.

Yes my dumb ass finally understood the simple explanations you were giving me. Thank you. Sometimes I just dont understand things :wallbanging: .

I apreciate the patience.  :D

#55 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 05:00 PM

It took me a couple of months to figure out the different parts of the drive system.  It wasn't until I rebuilt the Vickers T66X that I really got it.  Maybe some photos will help.

The T66X is a self contained system that does not share fluids with the Gearbox.  The T66X takes Dexron.  The Gearbox takes 80 EP.

Here is a photo of the gearbox opening where the T66X fits into the Gearbox.

Yes now I finally seen the light. Now I realise that the no.1 hydro oil I uesed is not good for this system. I will be looking into the gearbox soon.

#56 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well after reading some about this hydro oil I used in the Allis, I m not so sure its bad for it. On the label it says not suitable where Dextron type II is needed. But the transmission doesnt use Dextron type II it uses ATF or Dextron. Some of you guys know quite a bit about fluids. Can anyone tell me if The Kleen-flo no.1 hydraulic fluid EP rated. is ok to use or will it catch fire and send radioactive waves to my brain forcing me to wax my GTs this weekend?

As for the gear box will 80/90 gear oil do the trick or Do I have to absolutely use straight 80?

Edited by hatedge, July 25, 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#57 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Well after reading some about this hydro oil I used in the Allis, I m not so sure its bad for it. On the label it says not suitable where Dextron type II is needed. But the transmission doesnt use Dextron type II it uses ATF or Dextron. Some of you guys know quite a bit about fluids. Can anyone tell me if The Kleen-flo no.1 hydraulic fluid EP rated. is ok to use or will it catch fire and send radioactive waves to my brain forcing me to wax my GTs this weekend?

As for the gear box will 80/90 gear oil do the trick or Do I have to absolutely use straight 80?

The Kleen-Flo website doesn't seem to list the product as #1, only shows different ISO value hydraulic oils.  Is it old packaging?

If it's the ISO 32 oil it will be a slightly thinner in viscosity than Dexron.  There are a variety of viscosity rating systems and here's a link to a viscosity chart:  http://www.bobistheo...scosity-charts/

The various weights are comparable horizontally across chart.  The earlier Dexron version would fall in the chart between ISO 32 and ISO 46.

Since it's a strictly a hydraulic system and not a shared sump with the transaxle, the hydraulic fluid should be fine to use.  According to their website, it's got the foam and rust inhibitors you need.  I would not, repeat would not, use this in any kind of a shared sump system though.  Universal Tractor Fluids are designed specifically for those types of applications.

If you really want to play it by the book though, you'll want to drain it and replace with one of the Dex III or universal atf's.  Dexron II and III are both no longer valid specifications and technically oil companies can't market products using them.  They'll typically be called D/M or Dex atf or something along those lines.  Dexron VI is the current spec but is a good bit lighter in viscosity.

As far as gear oil goes, I doubt you'll be able to find straight 80 weight.  I wouldn't hesitate to run 75-90, 80-90, or straight 90.

By the way, even if it does catch fire and send radioactive waves to your brain, just remember to wear your tinfoil hat and you'll be fine.  No waxing for you this weekend. :thumbs:

Edited by Canawler, July 25, 2013 - 12:58 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#58 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Canawler, on 25 Jul 2013 - 1:46 PM, said:

By the way, even if it does catch fire and send radioactive waves to your brain, just remember to wear your tinfoil hat and you'll be fine. No waxing for you this weekend. :thumbs:

Thats good news cos I was planning on taking the Wheel Horse fishing and Im scared the wax will hinder its floatability

On a more serious note The Kleen-flo hydro fluid is in fact old packaging. It looks to be on the thin side but its clean. The thing I dont understans is that it says EP rated on it. I dont know what EP is but in the manual its asks for EP in the gear box

Edited by hatedge, July 25, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#59 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 07:55 PM

EP = extreme pressure

I'm not super well versed in hydraulic only fluids but I believe it's normal to have those additives in hydraulic fluids.  It's pretty much mandatory in gear oils, that's kind of the point for using gear oils.  Whether gear oil and hydraulic oil EP additives are the same compounds, I'm not sure.

• hatedge said thank you

#60 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 01:27 AM

EP = extreme pressure

I'm not super well versed in hydraulic only fluids but I believe it's normal to have those additives in hydraulic fluids.  It's pretty much mandatory in gear oils, that's kind of the point for using gear oils.  Whether gear oil and hydraulic oil EP additives are the same compounds, I'm not sure.

OK cool, im reassured. TY