• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LUNDNERD OFFLINE  

LUNDNERD
  • Member No: 37588
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have an unknown year John Deere 185 hydro, Tag reads *m00185b, and from all of the diagrams I have viewed the deck is a 46" serial 360001-475000.

I purchased this tractor at auction for little to nothing, after cleaning it up and changing the fluids, blades and deck wheels I tried to adjust the deck cutting level, this is where my problem begins. 

I need to cut around 3-1/2 inches tall, but no matter what level I have the deck on the chute side is riding on the wheel. 

1. when lever all the way up in "travel" position the chute side is still riding on the gage wheel, and the other side is about 4" off the ground. ( yes the wheels are set the same, all tires set to the proper pressure, and machine is as level as can be at this age, and for further informational purposes I removed the wheel and the deck was only about 2 inches off the ground in the travel position) So it is not the wheels.

2. When lever is on say 2 the chute side wheel is running on the ground, and the other side is just barely skimming the ground( I believe skimming the ground is the intent of these wheels, please correct me if I am wrong).

A. The front rods are connected and are equal length. 

B. The rear arms are attached and good.

C. The lift arms are attached on both sides ( I have tested with the adjustment bolt on the non chute side and it does not effect the "levelness" of the deck, 

So the question I have, and please know I have scoured the web for hours looking and trying to figure this out. ( Read I have looked at every 185/46" diagram on the web). 

On the chute side of this machine should there be a lift assist spring or a spring of some sort to keep it level? If so what is the part number and does someone have a picture?

I thank you all in advance, my local dealer ( for lawn tractors) is about an hour drive and all the dealers here are very very busy with farmers planting and pulling hay so again thank you in advance. 

• larryd said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 10:34 AM

I have an unknown year John Deere 185 hydro, Tag reads *m00185b, (It's the Hybrid DEERE_COW!)  and from all of the diagrams I have viewed the deck is a 46" serial 360001-475000.

I purchased this tractor at auction for little to nothing, after cleaning it up and changing the fluids, blades and deck wheels I tried to adjust the deck cutting level, this is where my problem begins. 

I need to cut around 3-1/2 inches tall, but no matter what level I have the deck on the chute side is riding on the wheel. 

1. when lever all the way up in "travel" position the chute side is still riding on the gage wheel, and the other side is about 4" off the ground. ( yes the wheels are set the same, all tires set to the proper pressure, and machine is as level as can be at this age, and for further informational purposes I removed the wheel and the deck was only about 2 inches off the ground in the travel position) So it is not the wheels.

2. When lever is on say 2 the chute side wheel is running on the ground, and the other side is just barely skimming the ground( I believe skimming the ground is the intent of these wheels, please correct me if I am wrong).

A. The front rods are connected and are equal length. 

B. The rear arms are attached and good.

C. The lift arms are attached on both sides ( I have tested with the adjustment bolt on the non chute side and it does not effect the "levelness" of the deck, 

So the question I have, and please know I have scoured the web for hours looking and trying to figure this out. ( Read I have looked at every 185/46" diagram on the web). 

On the chute side of this machine should there be a lift assist spring or a spring of some sort to keep it level? If so what is the part number and does someone have a picture?

I thank you all in advance, my local dealer ( for lawn tractors) is about an hour drive and all the dealers here are very very busy with farmers planting and pulling hay so again thank you in advance. 

How does the right side of the deck's front look??  I'll bet someone ran into something HARD and bent the heck out of either the deck and/or the front hanging arm(s)..  If there is no adjustment left to tighten up the right front hanger I've put the arm in a vise and bent the thing so it pulls the right side forward (thus lifting the front right side of the deck) and also inspecting the straightness of the deck's shell on the right side..  

Just a little redneck engineering for ya!  Good Luck!

• larryd said thank you

#3 LUNDNERD OFFLINE  

LUNDNERD
  • Member No: 37588
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 11:13 AM

With all the wheels off she sits flat on the ground. Not sprung or bent. 

The front rods were a little tweaked but I have already straightened them the best I could. (maybe 1/16 bend in the overall length now).

• larryd said thank you

#4 hdg4400 OFFLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:06 PM

LUNDNERD:

I have sent you a Private Message with some info that may help you.

Harlan

• larryd said thank you

#5 Rick18 OFFLINE  

Rick18
  • Member No: 58496
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 10:30 AM

Has this issue been fixed?

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted June 06, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Has this issue been fixed?

Rick, Welcome to the forum. This thread is about a year old and the original poster hasn't been back on the site since he posted. We'll probably never know the answer.