Garden Tractor Forums banner

Wheel Horse Gt14

20K views 80 replies 13 participants last post by  hatedge 
#1 ·
I need some advice from you WH folk! I've got a guy interested in doing some trading (firearm for a GT). Here are pic's and the description. I talked to the guy and he told me the thing isn't perfect but mechanically it is a good tractor. He took it on trade so he doesn't know the history on the engine but he thinks it's pretty low hours (he seemed to know quite a bit about old Cubs and their K engines). The gray looking color on the engine is the primer where the PO had used something a little to strong to "degrease" the engine and took the paint off.

I've read on the various forums and it seems that these are built really well but attachments are scarce as well as parts since these GT's were only built for 4 years (over 40 years ago). Anyway, I'm really just looking for a value on this. No attachments other than the deck.

Listing:

gt-14 automatic.like new k321 14 horse kohler.new seat,front tires,pto clutch,hydro oil &filter.runs &mows needs blades.

Pic's:

3E83G13N95G55F55Hbd5pb6331369f3c5191f.jp

3Gf3L63J45E55Ke5J4d5pae9d58cfc7bb1303.jp

3I73Je3Ne5N95G15M5d5pd200aa9594431682.jp

3L13Ib3N25I75G45M4d5p3a7d05526faa1fdd.jp

3E33Lb3H15L55I15E3d5p6d521dfe71ee190a.jp

See less See more
#2 ·
Those go for around $700 -$800 around here. They used a special unique to them tiller. And perhaps snowblower. The optional 3 point hitch adds a lot of value. 953 and 1053 or 1057 were predecessor's of the GT's. And the "D" series replaced it.

Looks like a good tractor. I'd like to have it!

Joe

#3 ·
Thanks. I have a pretty rough yard and my Cub beats me to death so the large rear wheels are really appealing. The guy says the deck is missing a blade so he only cut one little spot with it but he did say the deck was nice and quite. Also has a new electic PTO.

#4 ·
Engine has been upgraded to a newer one. Original was painted red & would have had a metal flywheel screen. Had a GT14 for years & a very stout hydro in them. I wasn't fond of where the hydro control was, but one could attach a long lever to the existing one to bring it out to a more user friendly spot. The gas tanks up front sometimes developed cracks, so check to see it's not been patched.

#6 ·
Bobby, I have had a few of them and they are great Hydro GT's. I had an ARK 500 loader on one of them. As Daniel said, the engine is a replacement from the 90's, one of mine had the exact replacement engine on it. By the hood decal, it's a 1069 and should have an open grill that you can touch the plastic gas tank. 70 and later used a closed grill casting to protect the tank. 15" rer tiers are nice, but 15" AG's are very expensive if you can even find them. The Hydros almost bullet proof One of mine had had the frame broken and re-welded, you might want to look at the frame around the Mid-Mount quick Attach. Most all of the Front mounted attachments and Mid mounted attachments will work from C-Series GT's. GT14's had a factory 3PT along with a draw bar, the tiller mounted on the 3PT and ran off the Hydro pulley with there own PTO thru out on the tiller it's self. I have the plane for the 3PT and can give you the info to convert any C-Series tiller to a 3PT GT14 tiller. I think you would be happy with it if you got to use it.

Reactions: twostep
#7 ·
Bobby, I have had a few of them and they are great Hydro GT's. I had an ARK 500 loader on one of them. As Daniel said, the engine is a replacement from the 90's, one of mine had the exact replacement engine on it. By the hood decal, it's a 1069 and should have an open grill that you can touch the plastic gas tank. 70 and later used a closed grill casting to protect the tank. 15" rer tiers are nice, but 15" AG's are very expensive if you can even find them. The Hydros almost bullet proof One of mine had had the frame broken and re-welded, you might want to look at the frame around the Mid-Mount quick Attach. Most all of the Front mounted attachments and Mid mounted attachments will work from C-Series GT's. GT14's had a factory 3PT along with a draw bar, the tiller mounted on the 3PT and ran off the Hydro pulley with there own PTO thru out on the tiller it's self. I have the plane for the 3PT and can give you the info to convert any C-Series tiller to a 3PT GT14 tiller. I think you would be happy with it if you got to use it.
Thanks for the info Brian! Attachments aren't really a big concern since I use my Kubota for all attachment work. The Ark loader would be nice to have!!! It might be nice to have the 3pt just for hauling a carry all bucket or something though. I agree on the 15" ag's... I ran into the same issue with my kubota but since it uses a common 6 on 6" bolt pattern I was able to find rims in the 16" flavor and ag's were a little more available. Still expensive though.

I still haven't made a decision yet... Anybody have any more opinions on value.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can change out those 4 bolt hubs to 6 bolt and do the same thing on the GT14. But not sure about clearance issue in the fenders. D series hubs will bolt right on as they are both 1 1/8" axles. I would say it's maybe a 500.00 to 700.00 depending on how well it runs and mows. Are the turfs dry cracked at all?

Reactions: twostep
#9 ·
You can change out those 4 bolt hubs to 6 bolt and do the same thing on the GT14. But not sure about clearance issue in the fenders. D series hubs will bolt right on as they are both 1 1/8" axles. I would say it's maybe a 500.00 to 700.00 depending on how well it runs and mows. Are the turfs dry cracked at all?
Thanks for info, I figured there would be some way to swap hubs. The front tires are new but I'm not sure on the rears. He didn't mention the rears leaking.

#10 ·
I too have a 69 GT-14. I did replace the open front for a newer (70's model) front for the protection of the plastic fuel tank.

I have a 3pt lift and really like it......I don't have a mowing deck though!

I have the rear rock shaft and connecting bar ( bar connects rear and mid rock shafts to hydraulic cylinder) than could be for sale if you are interested.

#11 ·
I too have a 69 GT-14. I did replace the open front for a newer (70's model) front for the protection of the plastic fuel tank.

I have a 3pt lift and really like it......I don't have a mowing deck though!

I have the rear rock shaft and connecting bar ( bar connects rear and mid rock shafts to hydraulic cylinder) than could be for sale if you are interested.
KC, Any C-Series deck will go under the GT14 with no MODS..

Reactions: KC9KAS
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I talked to the guy again yesterday and we might have a deal. I plan to make the trip tomorrow to go check it out and if all is good I should be dragging home my first WH.

So you have the two items called out by the red arrows in this pic? Send me a PM with price.

Plant Bicycle part Tool Gas Bicycle drivetrain part

Attachments

#15 ·
And today Ive finally installed the mower on it for the first time. I had been waiting for a set of blades for the 36'' mower and have been mowing 20 000sq ft with a push mower once in a while to keep somekind of control on the jungle that was trying to move in. I realised that I was missing the belt so I used the belt off the MF14 mower. It was very tight but I badly needed to get some mowing done so I ended up burning the belt but the yard is finally clean. Tomorow ill go hunting for new belts.

OH a guy called me today asking to buy it and offered a working WH 312 as part of the payment. I didnt turn him down but told him Id take his WH and 2300$ in exchange for my C160 with accesories. The funny part is that this guy actually said it would be a bit steep but that it was worth considering and that hed call again this week to give me his offer !!

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got the GT14 tonight. This thing is a hoss. I think I'll like it. Someone has put quite a bit of work into this thing. Quite a bit of new parts. The engine runs GREAT and the hydro seems to pull good. I mowed a little strip and the deck is nice and quite. The gas tank does not leak (what you see in the pic is from the cap, it's not orginal) but I did see one little spot that looks like it was repaired. Anyone have pointers on how to preserve plastic tanks? Even if this one is shot I've already got ideas for replacing it.

Things to do:

-cables... both are junk or broke.

-front hubs... one is a little tight so I'm going to pull them apart, inspect and do whatever repairs are needed.

-get a third blade for the deck... the right most blade is gone but the two that are there mow very nice.

-check all fluids.

-go through the wiring... it's a mess.

-the parking brake is not right. not sure what is up with it. I'll post up some detailed pictures when I get time to tear into it.

Things I want to do:

-paint the engine tins.

-give it a good cleaning.

-repair the lights or rig up something new.

-air cleaner, fab up one like my JD has.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got the GT14 tonight. This thing is a hoss. I think I'll like it. Someone has put quite a bit of work into this thing. Quite a bit of new parts. The engine runs GREAT and the hydro seems to pull good. I mowed a little strip and the deck is nice and quite. The gas tank does not leak (what you see in the pic is from the cap, it's not orginal) but I did see one little spot that looks like it was repaired. Anyone have pointers on how to preserve plastic tanks? Even if this one is shot I've already got ideas for replacing it.

Things to do:

-cables... both are junk or broke.

-front hubs... one is a little tight so I'm going to pull them apart, inspect and do whatever repairs are needed.

-get a third blade for the deck... the right most blade is gone but the two that are there mow very nice.

-check all fluids.

-go through the wiring... it's a mess.

-the parking brake is not right. not sure what is up with it. I'll post up some detailed pictures when I get time to tear into it.

Things I want to do:

-paint the engine tins.

-give it a good cleaning.

-repair the lights or rig up something new.

-air cleaner, fab up one like my JD has.
It looks like a decent base to start from :thumbs: Like I said earlier : WH are pretty impressive and quite reliable. Even though they are pretty rare up here the can easily be fixed for a fraction of the price on any other GT. When I first got mine I had a plan of fixing it quick and selling fast. Now that Ive been using it as the worker around the house I dont want to part with it and would surely love to find another one. Great pick, hope you enjoy it as much as me :rocker2:

#18 ·
It is a 69 Gt-14---check , like said--for the little nipple that comes out down on the right front side--for cracks or repairs..

Also the parking brake lever is bent or on way wrond--(last lever on right)---be careful trying to move the tractor with the brake pulled up--doesn't take much to crack that little lawl down in the tranny--then you have a problem......Make sure it;s charging also---that should be a 10 a mp. system and the amp guage will read 15-0-15 plus.

Good luck--

glenn

#19 ·
It is a 69 Gt-14---check , like said--for the little nipple that comes out down on the right front side--for cracks or repairs..

Also the parking brake lever is bent or on way wrond--(last lever on right)---be careful trying to move the tractor with the brake pulled up--doesn't take much to crack that little lawl down in the tranny--then you have a problem......Make sure it;s charging also---that should be a 10 a mp. system and the amp guage will read 15-0-15 plus.

Good luck--

glenn
Thanks for the info.

I did some work on the GT this past weekend. First I lubed, rerouted and hooked up the choke cable, works great and now I don't have to pull the hood evertime I cold start it. Next I pulled the deck off and pressure washed it. The deck tin is in rough shape but the mechanical components are in amazing shape... PO must have put new bearings in. The hanger parts are shot though... so the mower deck is going in storage. I want to keep the GT14 as my loader GT anyway. Next I pulled the beat up drive belt guard off. It was bent in a few places and all but two of the spot welds on the belt guides were broken. Drilled a couple of holes and re-spot welded them. Ever since I picked it up I knew that the parking brake lever was pulled up instead of pushed down. It wouldn't go down though. Plus when it is pulled up there is supposed to be no tention on the idler pully... but there is anyway. So the drive belt must be shorter than it should be. So when I was inspecting I also I noticed that the lever is actually on backwards. The parking pawl is obviosly already broken off and I've read/seen how you can repair but the next question is where is the part that broke off??? Just sitting in the bottom of the case?

Obviously there are a few things to work out but the GT is solid and it runs great! The hydro doesn't seem to have the speed I expect. Not sure about it...

Does anyone know if one of the C or D series hydro's will work on the GT14?

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nope--Oldcowhand--not the same hydro......one is Sundstran--one is a hydrogear.--but thatt's ok.

Your wireing is a mess----let me make a suggestion (we just finished re-doing one) to take up to the Wheelhorse show.

Get the wireing diagram (in parts/owners manual)--copy it, and get it blown up to about twice size/laminate on both sides-(Staples or Office Max) for a couple bucks)-

now greasy hand prints won't bother it..........

Do away with the big battery and those huge cables--you don't need all that to crank this over--that engine will turn over fine with a small L & G battery, Get the one with the posts away from the steerring wheel. you may have to redo your battery hold downs a little, but now you have room to get in there and work.

you don't need a lot of ampreage to start this tractor as it's electronic ignition.

1st---Loose all those blue scotch loks connections!!!!!! What a pain they are!

Start with the same color wire as diagram and do one wire at a time. Clean every connection and every ground good. (little wire brush on dremel tool works good for this). It's going to take a while, but do it right--do it one time, and it should last as long as you have the tractor. Most of the wires run up along the left side hood support rod--stay away from right side of engine where exhaust heat is, except for batter5y ground, which bolts to second bolt/nut from hoodstand....

Front wheel hubs have car- type wheel bearings and seals--just llike an older Ford car--can be bought at any good bearing supply store.

Hope some of this helps you out--- :wave:

good luck!

P.S>__BTW-looking back again at your pictures---you have the original two--spoke steering wheel (very desireable and hard to find)--protect that at all cost!!!!!!

--DO NOT leave out in the weather. Please!!When those steering wheels were replaced, they use a three spoke.

glenn

#22 ·
Thanks for all of the advice Glenn! Where are located? there were a could of nice looking rebuilt GT14's on CL from up in IN... yours?

The battery is actually a LG&T battery, they just have large wires with the bolt for the top post terminal ran through the LG&T battery terminal hole. But as long as the battery is good I'll keep it, no matter what size it is! Those things are too expensive these days!!! Why do you say to get rid of it? Both of my other GT's have automotive batteries.

Automotive wiring is what I do for a living so no worries about cleaning up that rats nest... but I'll completely rewire it with new switches and all when the time comes.

Would you know any part numbers for the wheel bearings? I've not pulled them off yet but if I could pick them up on my way home that would be nice.

Thank you for the info on the steering wheel too, I had noticed that pretty much all other GT14's I had seen used a 3 spoke wheel but wasn't sure why. This one is in pretty good condition, no cracks but the center cap is missing. Do you know if the two spoke and 3 spoke are interchangeable? The column has a woodruff key instead of splines.

#23 ·
Nope--Oldcowhand--not the same hydro......one is Sundstran--one is a hydrogear.--but thatt's ok.

glenn
Well, they look similar! I'm always happy to be corrected, but then I did leave my comment in question. :smilewink: Sundstrand owns Hydrogear now anyways, as many units are marked "Sundstrand Hydrogear"! :D

#24 ·
...like said--for the little nipple that comes out down on the right front side--for cracks or repairs..
I don't see any little nipple that comes down the right side. do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.