Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:43 AM

When I plant my potatoes sometimes I will cut them ahead of times sometimes not and cut them as I plant . This year was a " not "  what a BIG mistake  . NONE of my 4lbs of Yukon Gold came up and lost a lot of others too . When I dug a few spots where  were I planted the seed potatoes they  where rotten . Hard lesson to learn , must have just gotten lucky the other years might not have been this wet as this year .From now one they will get cut and cured a few days before planting  .

• daytime dave, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 06:11 AM

I have done mine both ways. This year I cut and planted same day, didn't have a problem.
  • Alc said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 06:31 AM

I let mine cure 2 days by happenstance and not getting much showing up above ground yet.

I may have to replant myself.
  • Alc said thank you

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Talked to a buddy of mine, all his taters rotted in the grorund too. He cut his, but thinks he planted to early and it stayed to wet. I planted a short row of old taters mom had in the cabinet with 1 foot eyes, I cut the eyes back and cut into pieces, saw this morning some are popping through.

• Alc said thank you

#5 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:56 AM

We usually cut and plant with in a couple of days , It has happened where we couldn't get them in for a week , but still didn't have a problem. And I'm talking about 20 acres or so. It sounds like your pieces were too big or it was too wet for too long.

• Alc said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Al I think it was the cool wet weather we have had this spring.  Sorry to hear you had problems!  I was concerned that mine would rot too.

And in my Tater Patch Thread Bolend 1000 said he lost his too.  Like others have said, I will cut he big ones so I have at least two good eyes per cutting. Smaller ones I don't bother to cut.

I was talking to my Dad about cutting and letting the starch heal the cut and He said he never saw his mother do that.

Sometimes it seems you do everything right and it still turns out wrong?? 

Have you talked to your seed supplier? With a loss that big they might replace the seed?

Like Tahoe said, last Summer in late June, My mother found some Russets under the sink that had Sprouted. She Asked if I wanted to plant them and I said sure. They made a nice mess of potatoes.

So don't hesitate to replant, they may mature later in the season, but I think they often do better than the early plantings.

It seems nature does not play by the rules? Sometimes we have experiences like yours, and others I have seen potatoes come up and thrive that I had misssed in the digging the last fall. Even after freezing and thawing through the winter?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 06, 2013 - 09:05 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 10:37 AM

We usually let them sit overnight after cutting but when I was a boy I don't think dad used to do that. They went right in the ground.

• Alc said thank you

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 10:38 AM

Thanks  everyone for the advice , I think what I'll do is since the rows are allreay there I'll take some old potatoes that have statred sprouting and shriveling up and plant them in the empty spots . Guess the only problem doing that there might be different varities planted together and maturing differnt times ,  some might have to be HAND DUG !!!!  lol just when I was getting my potato plow working right  lol

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 11:53 AM

I've had TWO years back to back of very poor luck with the Yukon Golds in particular.  The Pontiac reds which I handled in the same fashion have come up much better, though I'm not REALLY happy with the germination rate.  Got some pictures somewhere.   I think perhaps 8 plants out of about 50 put down?  Whereas the Pontiac Reds were around 40 for 50 put down.

• Alc said thank you

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Wow Howard 8 out of 50 isn't good at all . Is that counting this year ?   I just came in before the rain got heavy planting  "who knows what kind" of potatoes in all  the empty spaces between the different plants and the whole Yukon row.

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Al, sorry to hear about your bad luck.  I hope the substitutes do better.  Thanks for sharing that with us.

• Alc said thank you

#12 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Wife went out to work her garden and found taters growing from last year.

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:41 PM

Wife went out to work her garden and found taters growing from last year.

And I couldn't get  some to grow from this years seed potatoes lol

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,581 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:53 PM

This year I had more small seed potatos along and I didn't cut the smallest. Of course those were the ones that didn't sprout for me. The rest started out extra slow I thought, but now they are growing fairly good.

• Alc said thank you

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:47 PM

Wow Howard 8 out of 50 isn't good at all . Is that counting this year ?   I just came in before the rain got heavy planting  "who knows what kind" of potatoes in all  the empty spaces between the different plants and the whole Yukon row.

That was this year alone.  Last year the sprout rate was along the order of 3 in 30 or so, but I planted them early and wet.  I happened to plant the Pontiac reds a few weeks later and they came up ok, then I planted 10 lbs of white potatoes I found half price.

• Alc said thank you