LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 04:23 PM

The mounds have to go to the shed, out come the big guns!!

hay7_zps396b3ade.jpg

hay8_zpsddefc55b.jpg

My best Burt Reynolds impersonation!!

hay9_zps702ced3a.jpg

hay10_zps201eee0c.jpg

hay11_zps180f4fe9.jpg

Field_zpsbf9c9192.jpg

Field2_zps1410ebdf.jpg

That is about it!! So what should I do to make my exercise program better!!??  :say_what:

You got a couple of Equus back there that could be put to work pulling a hayrack.

• CADplans said thank you

#17 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:49 PM

It looks likes you are using your loader as a haybuck.  This is my neighbor's haybuck.

028-3.jpg

029-2.jpg

More Amish farmers are using haybuck's, so the price of Hay loaders has fallen at auctions.  You  can get one under $300, but I think your way is better.

This is a hay loader.

Horse-Drawn-Hay-Loader5.jpg

You might find a ground driven Tedder for $300.

• CADplans said thank you

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:46 PM

For cutting the hay, design a way to mount a mount deck to the front of your garden tractor. Cut away the whole front edge, and about a quarter of the top of the deck and sides, so that you have at least half of the blades exposed at all times while cutting. Design it so you can mount some clear plexiglass for protection from the flying debris. At least you'll be able to ride in comfort, and should be able to cut down on some of your walking time.

For fluffing the hay to dry, jiffy rig an industrial sized ventilation blower on the rear of your tractor, with drive pullies smaller than your tractors drive pulley, so that you'll have twice the rotation as the rpm's your tractor supplies. Make it so that it only blows hard enough to roll the hay over, and not through it all over the place.

As for picking up the hay when dried, mount a two staged snow blower to the front of your tractor, and have your wife drive your truck in front of you while straddling the rows, and just blow (or shred) the hay right up into the truck. If this idea doesn't suit you, then think like Red Green. Wrap reversed duct tape around your tires, so that the sticky side will gather the hay. Then just drive the tractor to the barn, dismount the wheels, light a couple of candles, and let your animals think they are eating off of a plate.

Edited by johndeereelfman, June 05, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

• Alc, HowardsMF155 and CADplans have said thanks

#19 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 01:44 PM

For fluffing the hay to dry, jiffy rig an industrial sized ventilation blower on the rear of your tractor, with drive pullies smaller than your tractors drive pulley, so that you'll have twice the rotation as the rpm's your tractor supplies. Make it so that it only blows hard enough to roll the hay over, and not through it all over the place.

Hmmmmmmm,,,, I have an industrial belt drive squirrel cage blower in the shop, 3/4 HP. I have it on the second floor, and turn it on when the temp gets too high when tinkering., Maybe a HF $79 engine and a pulley, some wheels, and a drawbar!!  

It has about a 20"X20" discharge, I wonder if I would need to reduce the opening with a plywood "nozzle" ?  :pushmower:

So, does anyone know if a squirrel cage blower will produce more pressure if the outlet is reduced!??

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Hmmmmmmm,,,, I have an industrial belt drive squirrel cage blower in the shop, 3/4 HP. I have it on the second floor, and turn it on when the temp gets too high when tinkering., Maybe a HF $79 engine and a pulley, some wheels, and a drawbar!!  

It has about a 20"X20" discharge, I wonder if I would need to reduce the opening with a plywood "nozzle" ?  :pushmower:

So, does anyone know if a squirrel cage blower will produce more pressure if the outlet is reduced!??

I can't answer that. But if you don't get an answer in this section you might post in the Mechanical section?

I know there are acouple HVAC guys on the Forum that probably work with this question often.