#31 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ahhh, the Pinto.  First car I drove was my parents' '74 wagon.  Not prone to the explosions like the others with all of that backend.  Anyone seen "Top Secret?"  Nice little jab at Ford in there.

• olcowhand, jdslednut, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#32 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:33 PM

All part of the "Pussification of the World" plan. Crazy

• tractorgarden, 916 hydro and marlboro180 have said thanks

#33 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Lets just put the gas tank back were it was on the first jeeps... :D

That's right!!!

0381.jpg

• tractorgarden and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#34 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Lets just put the gas tank back were it was on the first jeeps... :D

Or the Ford Model A.

#35 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Every car maker is going to build a bad car, sometime. And, there are folks who, when they get one, will think that make and model is the worst one ever, even if they are the only ones with a complaint.

I had a 2000 Dodge 1500 Cab and a half. 5.2 Litre, 26 way adjustable seats, state of the art radio CD Tape player, color matched fiberglas cap. Man! I LUVED that truck. 

At 67,000 miles the rearend went out. It was rebuilt 3 times before I got rid of it. Never again!!! Last time I'll ever buy one of those poo bucket, Ram This, POS, **#"&+@ , EVER!!!!!!!

Edited by LilysDad, June 06, 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#36 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:43 PM

That's right!!!

0381.jpg

I actually wanted to link the below picture but was at work an this one was on the home PC... I took this picture of a friend's willys last year. If you look close you can see where the gas was leaking out. And yes, he made it up this climb without pulling cable.

IMG_5372.JPG

#37 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Every car maker is going to build a bad car, sometime. And, there are folks who, when they get one, will think that make and model is the worst one ever, even if they are the only ones with a complaint.

I had a 2000 Dodge 1500 Cab and a half. 5.2 Litre, 26 way adjustable seats, state of the art radio CD Tape player, color matched fiberglas cap. Man! I LUVED that truck. 

At 67,000 miles the rearend went out. It was rebuilt 3 times before I got rid of it. Never again!!! Last time I'll ever buy one of those poo bucket, Ram This, POS, **#"&+@ , EVER!!!!!!!

I wonder who did the rebuild, what grade of parts they used and how extensive of a "rebuild" was done... I have heard of rear end issues on some of those but  not often at that mileage, (seems low)  and being I turn wrenches for a living I have to say they don't seem to be any worse than the other brands overall for that issue....

where I work now we have a mix of all brands...they used to be predominantly Dodges but now mostly Fords, with some Chevy/GMC's in the mix too.... I work for the State of Illinois.   I have seen or heard about approx. 1 Ford with rearend issues a month, none on any Dodges they still have or GMs either (yet)  that don't mean Ford rearends are "junk"..

I must say though that "they don't build em like they used to" is definitely true and NOT in a good way....

I am tired of redo's because parts stores INSIST on selling me Chinese junk for parts... I am on my 3rd clutch in my truck in a year/16K miles... (just put the most recent one in last weekend) because of throw out bearing issues 1st was the bearing just started screeching the 2nd one the ear broke off the bearing sleeve.... whose a$$ did they pull the idea of making the T/O bearing sleeve out of plastic?

and each time I have had to replace the whole clutch they wouldn't just warranty the bearing because I bought a "clutch KIT" so I had to exchange the whole shebang....  at work I have had to redo ball joint jobs because of the Chinese ones being junk... I hate redo's.

I will most likely NEVER, buy a brand new vehicle.  But when I need another? I will probably look for another I-6 powered Cherokee or grand Cherokee as my 1st choice. my wife drives the Cherokee we currently have. and will continue to right into the ground.

• twostep and Team_Green have said thanks

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 08:03 PM

I will most likely NEVER, buy a brand new vehicle.  But when I need another? I will probably look for another I-6 powered Cherokee or grand Cherokee as my 1st choice. my wife drives the Cherokee we currently have. and will continue to right into the ground.

:ditto:    As if you took the words right out of my mouth! 

• twostep, Team_Green, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#39 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 12:11 AM

New.. phht.. I just aquired a 82 gmc half ton 4x4 with a 6.2 diesel,  long box reg cab.  It will look great beside my 1980 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4 gasser..

The new stuff can bite my behind.. Im sick of the cost of fixing the new stuff. replacing bearings instead of repacking them... the list just goes on..

• dodge trucker said thank you

#40 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 08:52 AM

New.. phht...

The new stuff can bite my behind.. Im sick of the cost of fixing the new stuff. replacing bearings instead of repacking them... the list just goes on..

that's why I also have a 93 Dakota Clubcab  with a 318 ("5.2" I hate "liters" I grew up on CUBIC INCHES!) 

and a 78 Plymouth Fury Sport as drivers, and even an 80 Plymouth Volare as my "Project car"....

I work on FWD every day... that don't mean that I like them one bit.

FWD=wrong wheel drive

• Nato77 and Team_Green have said thanks

#41 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 09:58 AM

that's why I also have a 93 Dakota Clubcab  with a 318 ("5.2" I hate "liters" I grew up on CUBIC INCHES!) 

and a 78 Plymouth Fury Sport as drivers, and even an 80 Plymouth Volare as my "Project car"....

I work on FWD every day... that don't mean that I like them one bit.

FWD=wrong wheel drive

Nice rides... By next summer my daily driver for summer will be my 65 Cuda..  273 v8 with a auto trans. 

I feel the same way about FWD cars.. No thanks.. Others can have em.. 

• dodge trucker said thank you

#42 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hey-  They don't want to recall them because...  

They don't want 'em either!! :D

BTW-  One of the bosses @ work has a Grand and all winter long   :wallbanging: he drove the thing with the gas tank hanging by only one strap..  We kept expecting to hear about the car fire but he finally fixed it after we all got after him!!

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, June 08, 2013 - 11:09 AM.