41 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:30 AM

There was a head on crash here in my town 3 years ago, both Chyrsler mini-vans, the woman was killed and the man was horriblly injured, neither of their air bags went off, weird. I will say as a whole American cars and trucks seem to last much longer and are much more reliable than ever before

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:13 AM

I'm on my 4th Cherokee, the last 2 being Grands.  The first had a GM 2.8 V6 and was a dog!  Never failed me though.  The net three had the 4.0 straight six, and NEVER had anything go wrong with the engines.   I have likely logged a half million miles on Jeeps & never had an engine go down.

As to the tanks, the way they make cars fold up these days, I don't think there is a safe place for them anyway.

I should have stated.. the motors i have had issues with are the 4.7v8's.... I wish they still built the 4.0 inline six. GREAT motor it is.. 

• twostep and dodge trucker have said thanks

#18 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:14 AM

THis all got me thinking.. If they force the recall.. What happens if you do not take your jeep in.. I own two jeeps in those years.. I have no intentions of letting them mess with them..  Buy em back or leave me alone...

• twostep said thank you

#19 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:19 AM

I didn't post this to start an anti-government rally. I just wanted Jeep owners to know what was going on with the Grand Cherokee's.

I'm like many others here and have owned a couple 4.0L GC and loved them.

So, keep it a productive thread and We'll all be in good shape.

Thanks Guys !!

• Team_Green and dodge trucker have said thanks

#20 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:20 AM

I didn't post this to start an anti-government rally. I just wanted Jeep owners to know what was going on with the Grand Cherokee's.

I'm like many others here and have owned a couple 4.0L GC and loved them.

So, keep it a productive thread and We'll all be in good shape.

Thanks Guys !!

Presently i'm throwing eggs at dodge.. hahahaha for once hahahahaha

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#21 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Daniel... the NHSTA would flip their lid if they saw you MF's rear bumper/fuel tank.

I agree with what someone else said, they just have to justify their existence...

I have a 4.0L (that was in a Cherokee) in my Jeep and that thing is bullet proof!!!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Daniel... the NHSTA would flip their lid if they saw you MF's rear bumper/fuel tank.

I agree with what someone else said, they just have to justify their existence...

I have a 4.0L (that was in a Cherokee) in my Jeep and that thing is bullet proof!!!

Yes, I think I may have to build a 3/4" thick steel plate cage around that tank to ward off the protectioneers!  :smilewink:    So ya don't think my oversize zip strap is good enough?  :rolling:Actually, I'd never mount a gasoline tank where I am putting this one, but diesel I feel fine with.

Love my 4.0's.... all 4 of them I've owned! 

• twostep said thank you

#23 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Im just glad that they can force this and still have non- stainless steel brake lines for all of us in the rust belt. Sorry Brian.Rotten brake lines on vehicles 2 years old is the norm here. Please someone protect me from myself, Thank you

• Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#24 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 12:00 PM

So hit a pickup with a saddle tank in the side and see how the sky lights up.  Or a Beetle head on.  And just where were the safety concious 10 years ago when these cars were first "bursting into flames"? 

That only happened because the news put explosives in the truck.

Ahhh, the Pinto.  First car I drove was my parents' '74 wagon.  Not prone to the explosions like the others with all of that backend.  Anyone seen "Top Secret?"  Nice little jab at Ford in there.

I was going to mention that. Funniest scene on the movie.

Both of my Chevy Suburbans have the fuel tank in the very back. Both are protected by a huge skid plate. If someone hit me hard enough to damage that tank I probably would be hurting so bad I wouldn't care if it burst into flames. There are ways to make them safer but that would ad weight to the vehicle which would hurt the fuel economy which would mess up their CAFE ratings which would cause them all sorts of problems.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#25 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:11 PM

I should have stated.. the motors i have had issues with are the 4.7v8's.... I wish they still built the 4.0 inline six. GREAT motor it is.. 

The 4.7s are boat anchors as far as I'm concerned. My brother loves the 4.0s in his 2 jeeps and for me I won't touch one 5.2s or 5.9s is the only engines for me. Never had one let me down yet. Besides I can get better mileage with the V8s than my brother can with his I6s.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:43 PM

I find it ironic that the 4.0 is the same basic engine that AMC came out with in the Mid 60's and it is still going strong.

Same can be said for the Buick 3.8 V6   I had a friend that used to Ride me about running  antiquated Technology in my Buicks.

But I pointed out that he had two of the newer OHC Cars while my Buick just kept going.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 05, 2013 - 01:43 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#27 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:50 PM

I remember that big 6 in the AMC's. It had a lot of power and felt almost like a small block V8.

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 02:02 PM

They need to not worry about just a gas tank recall, but recall the whole vehicle. Our '05 Liberty is the biggest piece 'O crap we have ever owned. I hate the thing, my wife loves it. I've replaced so much stuff on it that has worn out already, windo regulators, entire suspension with coil springs and bushings, radio, seats stain with water, etc.

If someone rearends it, they are going to get a whole lot of hitch in their grill before they get to the gas tank, I put a Chevy receiver on there :D . I think it goes to the Liberty at least has no rear end behind the rearend, the tail is pretty short and their is only the inner bumper structure pretty much between the gas tank and well the air.  

#29 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I am on my 2nd Wrangler and 2nd XJ Cherokee. This will NOT do anything to make me want to steer away from Jeep, when it comes time to replace them..... the designs were just fine when they went thru crash testing 20 years ago...  its too late after the fact to go back on them now....   ANY vehicle, involved in just the "right" crash will explode and people will get hurt. even a hybrid....

crap like this, makes me want to go buy myself another Cherokee right now to thumb my nose at these idiots.... and I agree I love the Inline 6s.

the 318s ("5.2s") and 360s ("5.9"s)  are fantastic engines too...   and agree the 4.7s are junk, have owned RWD and 4WD Chryslers all my life. 

Edited by dodge trucker, June 05, 2013 - 05:57 PM.

• Nato77 and Team_Green have said thanks

#30 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 05:59 PM

Lets just put the gas tank back were it was on the first jeeps... :D

• tractorgarden, twostep and Team_Green have said thanks