• 15,392 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:38 PM

For Grand Cherokee and Liberty owners;

Just read this and thought it should be put out there,

By TOM KRISHER

and DEE-ANN DURBIN

| The Associated Press

First Published 3 hours ago • Updated 3 hours ago

"Detroit • A defiant Chrysler is refusing to recall 2.7 million Jeeps the government says are at risk of a fuel tank fire in a rear-end collision.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sent Chrysler a letter asking that the company voluntarily recall Jeep Grand Cherokees from 1993 through 2004, and Jeep Libertys from 2002 through 2007.

Chrysler Group LLC, which is majority-owned by Italy’s Fiat SpA, said in a statement Tuesday that the Jeeps are safe and it "does not intend to recall the vehicles."

Such a refusal by an auto company is rare. NHTSA can order a recall but needs a court order to enforce it.

David Strickland, the agency’s administrator, said in a statement that he hopes Chrysler will reconsider its decision. "Our data shows that these vehicles may contain a defect that presents an unreasonable risk to safety," Strickland said.

NHTSA opened an investigation into the Jeeps in August 2010 at the request of the Center for Auto Safety, a Washington, D.C., advocacy group. Clarence Ditlow, the center’s director, has repeatedly sent letters to Chrysler seeking a recall.

The agency found that the Jeeps’ fuel tanks can fail when hit from the rear, leak fuel and cause fires if there’s an ignition source. The placement of the tanks behind the rear axle and their height above the road is a design defect, NHTSA wrote in a letter to Chrysler dated Monday.

Chrysler moved the fuel tanks on the Grand Cherokee ahead of the rear axle in 2005, and did the same thing with the Liberty in 2007. But retrofitting the older Jeeps with repositioned tanks would be time consuming and costly. In 2011, when Toyota recalled 1.7 million cars for possible fuel leaks from loose fuel pressure sensors, an analyst estimated the cost at $240 million.

Automakers usually agree to a recall request, partly to avoid bad publicity. In the last three years, Chrysler has conducted 52 recalls.

The company previously refused a NHTSA request in 1996, when the agency asked it to recall 91,000 Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus cars for an alleged seat belt defect. NHTSA sued the company and won in federal court. But in 1998, an appeals court reversed the decision, saying NHTSA had unfairly held Chrysler to a new standard."

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:15 PM

I find this ... TO be polite.. STUPID.. When you can make a jeep TJ, YJ, CJ 7,6,5 roll very easy.. THey are going after this.. I have owned three Grand Cherokees from 2002 to 2004..  The recall should be for a crap motor.. 

Move the fuel tank... That's impossible.. No room for it in front of the axle.. NONE...... 

#3 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:16 PM

BTW.. I still drive a saddle tank GMC... 

• boyscout862, twostep and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Now tell me, just what car can retain it's fuel tank intact and unbreached in a rear end crash under the right circumstances.  I guess this is this generations "Pinto-gate".   So hit a pickup with a saddle tank in the side and see how the sky lights up.  Or a Beetle head on.  And just where were the safety concious 10 years ago when these cars were first "bursting into flames"? 

If the safety boys want to really get something useful done they should be looking into John Deere's 1026r H120 loader "Floppy Bucket Syndrome" before that kills someone.  This is a potential danger every time the bucket is used with a second person present.

• twostep said thank you

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 12:00 AM

A few years back a Honda decided to meet the back of my 93 Grand Cherokee. The guy had 2 good looking girls with him and didn't see me stopped at a stoplight. He was going 40 mph and folded the back bumper almost to the ground. The boy (2 1/2 years old) was with and luckily he was sleeping with his head against the seat so no whiplash like his oldman. The Jeep never missed a beat and I drove it 25 miles back home.

The sue happy idiots nowadays have to much power to try and get what they want. There is to many variables in crashes to justify recalles.

All the wrecks with front end crashes I've fixed through the years I'd say 96% of the time the airbags don't go off. Maybe every car and truck should be recalled for a failure in the airbags.

I'm glad Chrysler isn't giving in to fix a problem that "if" an ignition source is present it can cause a fire.

BTW.. I still drive a saddle tank GMC... 

I've still have one too. Just like all the Pinto and Corvair owners still tooling up and down the road yet.

• backwoods, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#6 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 12:41 AM

Ahhh, the Pinto.  First car I drove was my parents' '74 wagon.  Not prone to the explosions like the others with all of that backend.  Anyone seen "Top Secret?"  Nice little jab at Ford in there.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:02 AM

The Jeep relaibilty reviews are terrible, Chrysler tried to make a Jeep a luxury SUV, hasn't worked out well for them for YEARS. If Chrysler thought there was a defect and they could lose court battles due to deaths/injuries, I think they would recall them. The government wants to justify their bureaucracy and protect people that are too stupid and dont need to procreate. I vote we take 90 percent of the warning safety labels off all products and see if we dont start producing children that know not to stick pins in a outlet and politicians that don't spend taxpayer money on 900.00 toilet seats

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Forcing a company to "repair" a product after 20 years because a government agency decides it was a bad design? Common sense has truly gone out the window!          

• twostep, Team_Green and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Forcing a company to "repair" a product after 20 years because a government agency decides it was a bad design? Common sense has truly gone out the window!          

Therte hasn't been any glass in that window for a long time!!!

• Team_Green and pigsitter have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Let's See, the list is endless.  The govenment killed the Corvair. Pinto's catching fire( Yes some did) But when every family had 3 or 4 it was a very small percentage!!  I just last fall took my  2005 Ford pickup in to have the tank Straps replaced due to a recall.  Gas Tanks have been behind the rear axle since the 1930's and what percentage have caught fire in a rear end impact in 83 yrs.?

Stupid Regulations may be why the Great American Car Makers are no longer American Car Companies?

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 05, 2013 - 08:29 AM.

• Team_Green, pigsitter, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:28 AM

Sounds to me the Gov. wants to own Chrysler now. This may be a problem hard to really know definitely not because the Gov. said so. I have a 99 Grand Cherokee & love it with the exceptions of two things. Bad brake system in front but I solved the so called disposable rotor syndrome by replacing with vented. I also have the same problem as many with a roof leak because of the plastic drain lines that drain the water like a gutter & down spout system. Will fix that soon. I'm sorry I don't want to sound disrespectful but I'm to the point I don't believe anything coming from our Gov.

• twostep, Team_Green and dodge trucker have said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:34 AM

A few years back a Honda decided to meet the back of my 93 Grand Cherokee. The guy had 2 good looking girls with him and didn't see me stopped at a stoplight. He was going 40 mph and folded the back bumper almost to the ground. The boy (2 1/2 years old) was with and luckily he was sleeping with his head against the seat so no whiplash like his oldman. The Jeep never missed a beat and I drove it 25 miles back home.

The sue happy idiots nowadays have to much power to try and get what they want. There is to many variables in crashes to justify recalles.

All the wrecks with front end crashes I've fixed through the years I'd say 96% of the time the airbags don't go off. Maybe every car and truck should be recalled for a failure in the airbags.

I'm glad Chrysler isn't giving in to fix a problem that "if" an ignition source is present it can cause a fire.

I've still have one too. Just like all the Pinto and Corvair owners still tooling up and down the road yet.

My brother was driving 60 in a bad Fog last Winter in a 3/4 Ton Ford  Service Van, A woman pulled out in front of him. He hit her and flipped the van on it's side and slid about 300 ft. He would not have been hurt badly if The Air Bags had not nearly beat him to death. Bruises and cracked ribs.

In My opinion Air Bags can in some caes do more harm than good.

• boyscout862, Nato77 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:43 AM

"Our data shows that these vehicles may contain a defect that presents an unreasonable risk to safety,"

May contain.  Seriously!  You better be willing to put your career on the line and say with certainty that it does contain this defect if you want to force them to spend that kind of money. 

It's just as Chrysler is saying.  This tank construction is no different than anyone else's design.  If you recall the GC, you're going to have to recall a heck of a lot of other vehicles.

I watched the crash video footage.  It took horrendous rear end collisions to cause this problem.  I couldn't find anywhere what speeds they were testing to re-create the problem but the video I saw was clearly of vehicles going highway speeds running into stationary Jeeps.  NO vehicle hit that hard is going to maintain fuel tank integrity.

Also as already stated, a recall is going to do no good as there is physically no room to move the tank.  All they could do is put in maybe a 5-10 gallon replacement tank.  Everyone would just love that. :thumbs:

• twostep and dodge trucker have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm on my 4th Cherokee, the last 2 being Grands.  The first had a GM 2.8 V6 and was a dog!  Never failed me though.  The net three had the 4.0 straight six, and NEVER had anything go wrong with the engines.   I have likely logged a half million miles on Jeeps & never had an engine go down.

As to the tanks, the way they make cars fold up these days, I don't think there is a safe place for them anyway.

• twostep and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:54 AM

He would not have been hurt badly if The Air Bags had not nearly beat him to death. Bruises and cracked ribs.

In My opinion Air Bags can in some caes do more harm than good.

I'm not anti-airbag but they CAN and DO malfunction just like any other system in a vehicle. 

The owner of my last place of employment had a BMW M5.  Forget the year but it would have been 2004/2005-ish.  The first ones with the V-10.  He was driving on I-95 when the airbags suddenly deployed for no reason.  Amazingly he didn't crash.  BMW took the car to their US headquarters to investigate and claimed they could find nothing wrong with it but they replaced the car.  After doing some research, it turns out there were quite a few 5 series that had this same problem.  There was even more than one death from it.  BMW was able to keep it very quiet and the government never issued a recall that I'm aware of.

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about the new "brake by wire" systems that will soon be in production....

• MH81 said thank you