• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• Member No: 8163
  • 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'd rather replace a $30 coil than a $120 muffler any day! Not only is it cheaper, it's a lot less work. I'll probably replace both on mine.

There are two different coils used on Harley's. one 5 ohm resistance for points ignition and one 3 ohm resistance for electronic ignition. Is one better than the other for these engines?

LOL, yeah I switched those around there in that post. 

I checked the spark and before running it, it was getting stronger spark on the left side.  Both plugs were dry and caked with a loose carbon.  Was going to run it until it started acting up and check again, but after starting it, it died after two minutes and I cant get it restarted.  Too hot to messwith it today.   

I think Im going to go ahead and buy a new coil, plug wires, and plugs and see what that does.  Im looking for a muffler as well in better shape than mine. 

#17 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 06:50 PM

While your doing that, check your wires for loose or bad connectors/connections. Remove and clean your points. You would be better off just running new wires to the coil and points if those wires look real old.

Joe

#18 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 09:43 PM

While your doing that, check your wires for loose or bad connectors/connections. Remove and clean your points. You would be better off just running new wires to the coil and points if those wires look real old.

Well, I just got through installing a brand new coil and  points saver from Kirk engines.  Installed new points, spark plugs, plug wires.  Also installed a newer muffler I found on ebay that was in very good condition. 

But, unfortunately, the right spark plug had been cross threaded and when I removed it, it stripped the threads in the plug hole.  So, thats SUCKS!   For now, I wrapped some aluminum foil around the threads of the spark plug and got it snug where I can use it, but Im either going to have to try and rethread  the hole somehow or install a whole new head. 

On top of that, when running it, a hydraulic hose busted underneath and drained all my fluid.  I beleive it is the hydraulic rockshat cylinder hose that connects on the very back end of the tractor to the back end of the cylinder.  Looking onlinee, that hose costs $80.  Dont see one on ebay. 

So, I have to get a new hose and hydraulic fluid before I can mow with this thing to see if replacing all that stuff solved my problem.   And then I have to figure out what to do on the stripped spark plug hole in the aluminum head. 

#19 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 20, 2013 - 11:21 PM

Was lucky enough to catch a used hyd hose for $25.  Should be heere monday so I can see if the new parts make this thing run better.

Still not sure what Im going to do on the stripped spark plug hole.  How hard is it to change a head out on this thing?  Or should I try one of those kits with an insert to fix a stripped spark plug hole? 

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 08:11 AM

Simple as sin to change out the heads.  Many times the gasket can be used over again, but if changing heads, I recommend a new gasket.  You can download a manual for torque & sequence in our manual's section.  

#21 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Ok, went ahead and bought a used head and a gasket to change out the stripped one.  When you say torque, Im guessing Ill be needing a torque wrench.  Ive never used one of those before, lol. 

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Ok, went ahead and bought a used head and a gasket to change out the stripped one.  When you say torque, Im guessing Ill be needing a torque wrench.  Ive never used one of those before, lol. 

Actually, on small engines I rarely use a torque wrench, but it is an acquired "feel" over lots of time.  Best you use one if you've not done a lot of wrenching.  Best I did too for that matter!  :smilewink:

#23 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted June 21, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Doubt Id have the feel so will have to find one to borrow. 

This thing better run good after all this,

Ive spent over $300 in the last week on this thing. 

$

4      2 spark plugs

2      breaker point cover gasket

condensor (didnt even need this with the points saver)

14     breaker points

88     dual coil and point saver ignition from kirk engines

16     new spark plug wires

3        magnetic oil drain plug

71   used side exhaust muffler off ebay

13   hydraulic line rockshaft cylinder

45    used cylinder heads off ebay

9  new head gasket off ebay

24  shipping and taxes for above

25   hydraulic fluid

$320 TOTAL

#24 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted June 22, 2013 - 06:36 AM

Your not sposed to add up the money! You'll feel better if you don't

Joe
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#25 nathanatfork OFFLINE  

nathanatfork

• 5 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well got it done!

I got the new head and gasket installed, first time Ive ever used a torque wrench.  I got the busted hyd line replaced.  I already installed the new coil, plugs, plug wires, points, point saver, new muffler. 

This thing runs like a top now. 

• olcowhand and WHdbJD have said thanks

#26 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well got it done!

I got the new head and gasket installed, first time Ive ever used a torque wrench.  I got the busted hyd line replaced.  I already installed the new coil, plugs, plug wires, points, point saver, new muffler. 

What is a "point saver"?

#27 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 01, 2013 - 09:49 PM

What is a "point saver"?

http://www.kirkengin....php#PointSaver

:smilewink:

Edited by Trav1s, July 01, 2013 - 09:51 PM.

• WHdbJD said thank you

#28 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:06 PM

Well got it done!

Great news! After running it for awhile you'll want to apply the torque wrench agian. Those bolts can loosen up with heat and pressure!

Joe

#29 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Glad you got it up and running.  I bet you have a really good feeling of accomplishment.

#30 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Quite an adventure but with a good ending! 320$ is a lot but you have to look at it as a learning experience. Well, you don't have to , but it helps if you look at it that way!