The grass was finally growing in my yard and I needed to get some mowing done. I have been putting off working on the JD111. I had a senior moment a while back, that "extra" ground wire that hooks to the battery in my JD111 got put on the positive side of the battery along with the positive cable. It took all of about 4 or 5 seconds of this when smoke started pouring out from under the motor cover....I quickly disconnected the battery cables! I did not check to see, but I assumed this dumb move on my part burned up the coil. I have another 11 hp.briggs motor on an old generator that used to be in my dodge rv, so today I finally got around to taking the cover off the briggs in the 111 and confirmed that yes, I did toast the coil. Then I pulled the coil off of the generator briggs (it is also a magnetron) and bolted it to the 111 briggs. It fired right up!
Next, I took off the old broke and burnt up muffler on it and replaced it with a new one. Went kind cheap on the mufler, I used a 8" long piece of 1" black iron pipe and screwed on a generic muffler. Also did a little sanding of the inside edge of the hood so as to allow for the muffler pipe to pass. The hood would not quite close because it was hitting the 1" pipe.
Next, I pulled the deck off of the 111 and replaced the worn out spindle bearings on it. The old bearings came off fairly easy....The 111 starts right up and runs fine now.....and mows really quiet too!
Edited by James henry, April 22, 2013 - 12:00 AM.