2287 replies to this topic

#1411 Delmar ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,257 Thanks
  • 2,384 posts

Posted April 21, 2013 - 11:55 PM

The grass was finally growing in my yard and I needed to get some mowing done.  I have been putting off working on the JD111.  I had a senior moment a while back, that "extra" ground wire that hooks to the battery in my JD111 got put on the positive side of the battery along with the positive cable.  It took all of about 4 or 5 seconds of this when smoke started pouring out from under the motor cover....I quickly disconnected the battery cables!  I did not check to see, but I assumed this dumb move on my part burned up the coil.  I have another 11 hp.briggs motor on an old generator that used to be in my dodge rv, so today I finally got around to taking the cover off the briggs in the 111 and confirmed that yes, I did toast the coil. Then I pulled the coil off of the generator briggs (it is also a magnetron) and bolted it to the 111 briggs.  It fired right up! 

Next,  I took off the old broke and burnt up muffler on it and replaced it with a new one.  Went kind cheap on the mufler, I used a 8" long piece of 1" black iron pipe and screwed on a generic muffler.  Also did a little sanding of the inside edge of the hood so as to allow for the muffler pipe to pass.  The hood would not quite close because it was hitting the 1" pipe. 

Next,  I pulled the deck off of the 111 and replaced the worn out spindle bearings on it.  The old bearings came off fairly easy....The 111 starts right up and runs fine now.....and mows really quiet too! 

Edited by James henry, April 22, 2013 - 12:00 AM.

• MH81 and hatedge have said thanks

#1412 hatedge OFFLINE  

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Took the dozer blade off and tried my new snow blower. Had to figure out which of the micelaneous parts I had to use in order to install it and get it running. shoveled some snow into a pile and gave it a try. feels good to slowly see things falling into place with the WH

Now I only wish I could find a mule drive to try out the mower :( 

Edited by hatedge, April 22, 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#1413 hatedge OFFLINE  

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Took the hood off the C120 for a coat of paint before installing it on the C160, while I was there I figures I might as well get the lights out and paint the reflectors behind them with some rattle can chrome. Ah what the heck Ive nothing to do while the paint dries so I get to the sticky brake pedal...then comes the wiring inspection, well! some wires are in bad shape I should get to that soon...What better time than now? so I jump on the wiring stumbled on some loose bolts I decide to paint those as well, Heck now the the tractor is gonna look like crap with pretty painted bolts on a sunburned mat red frame is already getting dark and now ill have to repaint the whole tractor.

its always like that aint it? you wanna do a lil thing and it builds up into a whole week worth of work

• Rock farmer said thank you

#1414 maggiewaggie OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33136
  • 34 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 22, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I gave it a pat and had some good memories.
  • KennyP said thank you

#1415 qtrhrs86 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33913
  • 10 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Put a new battery in my 2182, took the upper radiator hose off after discovering a hole in the hose and now waiting on a replacement.

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 04:40 PM

I put a new seat on the 1100 Cub Cadet and put the second coat of primer on the mower deck for the same tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1317.JPG
  • IMG_1318.JPG

• twostep said thank you

#1417 hatedge OFFLINE  

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Gave a second and last coat of rattle can red to me C160 and put the hood seat and fenders back on. Then I realised that the seat was too close to the steering for me to sit comfortably so I drilled a few more holes in the fender pan to move the seat back a couple inches, while at it I reupholstered the seat

Edited by hatedge, April 24, 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#1418 halvor OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 23143
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Filled the tires of my JD 400 with fluid for weight. Rear tires got 13 gal each and the front took 2+ gal each. This past weekend I mowed with this tractor and its 60" deck for the first. It sure eats grass in a hurry. I love this tractor. Looking forward to a plow day somewhere.

Edited by halvor, April 24, 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#1419 bja105 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted April 24, 2013 - 09:14 PM

My Cub Cadet 147 got a new seat and new head lights.  I spent more than an hour trying to increase tension on the hydro lever, but I failed.

#1420 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,154 Thanks
  • 4,567 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Changed the oil on the 425 and cleaned it up and even washed & waxed it..  Then I sharpened the blades & scraped the little bit of grass stuck on the deck's bottom..  **That thing is a mowing monster! :rocker2:

Then I re installed that beast under the tractor and filled the tires so I'm ready to mow when the grass grows!! :thumbs:

#1421 qtrhrs86 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33913
  • 10 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 25, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Got the upper radiator hose for the 2182 today. Installed it and filled her full of fluid.

#1422 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 07:13 AM

Greased up the finish mower. I greased it with about a month to go in last years mowing season and it still took 15 or so stokes from the grease gun to fill the spindles. I guess I'll have to start doing it every month.

Also got the limit links put back on the 3pt. I had tried an experiment with using a single link but it didn't work so well.

#1423 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,722 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 11:16 AM

This has been a busy week.

Built 40 & 50# front weights for the SS12 and the ST16, did a little gusseying up on the tractors, finished doing rear end oil changes, put the 240 lbs of wheel weights on the LH tire of the 81, got the ollie plows out and over at the plow day already.

Dad is hauling tables today and helping with setup... I hope to be out of work at 3 so I can help some too.

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and KennyP have said thanks

#1424 Zhenchu OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34197
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 26, 2013 - 06:10 PM

I live in fear of this tractor breaking because of what lawn service charges to cut five acres of lawn, even once.  I'm original owner of a 1989 Wheelhorse 520H with 1600 hours on the clock.  Four hundred hours into ownership, Toro paid for repalcement of the short block when the engine swallowed a valve seat.  So this engine has 1200 hours or so hard hours on it.  Lately, it's been making a loudish metallic noise.  I was hoping to eek another season but felt kind of lazy about pulling it apart for diagnosis.  I figured I'd set the valve lash since it's 600 hours since I last looked.  Mostly, it was wishful thinking, since I've never seen the lash change much other than when the seat on the original engine was sinking into the tappet compartment.  That engine lost adjustment three times in fifteen hours when finally I questioned how valve stems could grow longer.  Then  I noticed the seat sinking into the tappet compartment.  This was visible inside the tappet box and when I pulled the head, the valve was completely loose with nothing left to set a new one into.   A local engine machine shop got me limping with a valve seat from a Honda auto.  This got me through the season. Toro replaced the short block even though the warranty was expired because I had issues with the vacuum gauge vibrating from 20 hours new with a history of complaints on this.

The worst valve had slightly more lash than spec, .008 on an intake that should be .005.  One exhast was slightly shy of .013 at .009 or so.  All spun freely and rotated as I turned the crank.  Most importantly, I found the source of the clatter.  The forward cylinder exhaust bolts had both rattled out.  Both were still sitting on top of the block.  It's all back together now and it sounds like a sewing machine instead of sounding like it's coming apart.  It's hard to believe how good this old engine sounds.

Last time I had it open for valve setting, I found what I believe to be the cause for failure of the first engine, and overlooked by the shop.  The intake manifold is fabricated from two parts rivited togther with some silicon sealant.  The sealant deteriorated and the two halves were loose at the end nearest the valve issue.  Air could slip through and make one cylinder lean. That valve stem also has some carbon and varnish build up while the other is clean.  Back then, some 600 hours ago, I drilled out the rivits, sealed it again with epoxy, and fastened it together with screws and locks.

I also replaced the steering shaft and the steering pillow block and it's bushing.  The quarter turn free motion in the steering is solved. 

• MH81 and Rock farmer have said thanks

#1425 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,689 Thanks
  • 2,911 posts

Posted April 27, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Spent some time getting my Massey 8 back into shape.  Last weekend I took it over to help out a friend whose yard had gone wild and "found" a couple of large rocks when I got too close to the drainage ditch.  My blades were pretty banged up, and even worse, the Massey 8 deck has locator pins to hold the blades in time and they sheared.  It wasn't enough to cause problems and I didn't find out about it until I took the blades off and saw the sheared pins in the keying washer.  So, I ground all the nicks and blemishes out of my blades and then all I could find for locator pins was some nails, so that was what I used.  Don't think I'll take this tractor back over there any time soon.  Also, the motor had become hard to start, only wanting to start at idle.  I found the choke cable had broken and it wasn't applying choke when I needed it.  So, for now I disconnected the cable and will have to choke manually.  The front deck guide has a cross member which was broken loose, so I brazed that back together.  Last but not least, the governor on this motor has not responded well to increased loads, it really let the engine slow down when the deck was engaged.  I managed to adjust it for better response.

Proceeded to mow my yard and my neighbors yard.  I have a barter system in place with her, she watches my kids while my wife and I get some exercise two nights a week, and I cut her yard for her.  I call that a win-win for me  :D