• Please log in to reply
2305 replies to this topic

#1291 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Couldn't stand doing any more homework today.  The weather was a balmy 60 F, so I went out and pulled out two of my Masseys.  Both got oil changes and greased the front axles and spindles.  Next time I have some time, I'll pull the decks, sharpen the blades and check tire pressures and make sure all is ready for the spring.  I might have preferred to do all this in the fall, but the growing season here just kind of trails off.  I remember just before we put lights up for Christmas, I mowed the yard to mulch leaves and keep the grass from looking ragged once the lights were up.

Me too. I have given up on winter.I am ready to pull the snow blades and start working on the mower decks. I think we are in for an early spring this year as well. last year we mowed 3 times before easter

Edited by rat88, February 06, 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#1292 halvor OFFLINE  

halvor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 23143
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:20 PM

I've been transforming my manual sleeve in to an electric lift sleeve hitch. I have before and after pictures, but have been unable to post them. Will post when I figure out how to do it.

#1293 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 08:43 AM

I've been transforming my manual sleeve in to an electric lift sleeve hitch. I have before and after pictures, but have been unable to post them. Will post when I figure out how to do it.

Look in my signature for some help with pics. They should be either .jpg or .jpeg format on your computer.

#1294 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 06:11 PM

I got a few things accomplished today! The FF now has a new oil filter and oil in the engine. The Ford finally got the Trans fluid changed out and a new filter there. It had the red stuff in it. Some of the whine is gone, but not all. I put the Wally World hydraulic and transmission fluid in it.

Found a spare wheel and tire for the trailer.

• MH81 said thank you

#1295 halvor ONLINE  

halvor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 23143
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:16 PM

KennyP, thanks. I'll try that.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (28).JPG
  • photo (30).JPG
  • photo (32).JPG
  • photo (33).JPG

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#1296 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 08, 2013 - 07:19 PM

Finally got my Commercial Gravely running again!!!! :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Late last summer it had battery problems, then the battery problems caused it to be caught in a downpour.  After it got home and sat a week or two, the pins in the keyway rusted up.  After I got them free and the battey replace, it still wouldn't start, apparently because of corrosion in the switch itself.  Finally was able to put a new ignition in this afternoon while I was firing up the grill for some steak and hamburgers.  Cranked it for a bit, then it caught and was OFF!! :rocker2: 

So, as I'm enjoying my freshly grilled steak and burgers, I really feel badly for you fellows caught in the path of storm NEMO.

• MH81 said thank you

#1297 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 01:15 PM

pulled the sediment bowl off the cub last night to figure out why it was leaking when the shut off was open. turns out the lil gasket inside where the shutoff screwed in was shot so i made one hoping it last so far it hasnt leaked yet fingers crossed

• MH81 said thank you

#1298 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 04:37 PM

It was sunny and not too cold so I had a run everything day. The only one that gave me any trouble was the pony tiller but after a few pulls it fired up and ran great... I can't wait for spring!

#1299 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 05:54 PM

The only weak link in using my JD 42" single stage snowblower is the top chute cable.  It's one of those locking "throttle/pto type" that you twist to lock.  Since both ends of this thing is pointing up and the blower sits outside it naturally collects moisture inside the cable.  This insures that when you really really need it... it's frozen up with either ice or rust or a combination of both.  I usually "park it" with the chute all the way up, it's better to have full chute than part way down with no way to get it back up.

Today I took off the cable, added a length of 3/8" tubing clamped on the blower end and stuck the body of a turkey baster in the end of the tubing like a funnel.  I filled the funnel up with Water Displacement #40 and hung it up handle down.  The WD was just beginning to show at the handle after 10 minutes.  I extended/retracted it a few times and now it's marinating overnight.  Once (if) it's going full length again I'll try to fill the cable with some kind of oil and make sure I keep the ends covered in future... or I'll buy a new one.:D

#1300 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,695 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 08:42 PM

One of the many reasons why I have no idea where the turkey baster is. The wife keeps hiding it. Claims its ruined once I use it.

#1301 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 09:56 PM

While I was waiting on the primer to dry on my mower deck I figured I would pull the wheels off of the 682 and repaint them. I have a problem when tearing down though... sometimes I don't know when to stop.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0577.JPG
  • DSCN0572.JPG
  • DSCN0576.JPG
  • DSCN0585.JPG

Edited by twostep, February 10, 2013 - 09:59 PM.

• Alc and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#1302 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM

I know what you mean Bobby, I still have a JD. 317 apart because of this.

I'm still working on tearing the M/W apart and E-tanking the pieces..

• twostep said thank you

#1303 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 12:41 AM

Only managed to get a solid hour, but I got some decent headway on the dozer blade tilt assembly for the 18/6. Coming along pretty well for a bunch of repurposed steel.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and twostep have said thanks

#1304 xshooter ONLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted February 11, 2013 - 07:47 AM

While I was waiting on the primer to dry on my mower deck I figured I would pull the wheels off of the 682 and repaint them. I have a problem when tearing down though... sometimes I don't know when to stop.

Same thing happened to me. It all started last weekend with the idea of fixing a slow leaking front tire on my "new" 140. Turned out it was a valve stem and a bead leaking. When I broke the tire down to put the stem in I found a lot of rust on the inside so I broke them all the way down, blasted, primed and painted.

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I put a set of bar tires on the rear, 50# wheel weights, tuned up the engine, got the lights to work, and swapped a few parts for better ones off my parts 140.

The whole time fighting the idea of tearing the whole thing down for a repaint. I want to run it awhile to make sure the mechanicals are good before I do that.

Attached Thumbnails

• 140 wheel 2.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#1305 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 12, 2013 - 10:48 PM

I took the front tires off the rims to clean the rims better. They are caked with too many layers of rough paint so I am going to electroclean them this weekend. Both front tires are really dryrot cracked and are a mismatch so I plan to replace them. If the were just cracked I would tube them and ride on but I want the fronts to match (if you have a decent set of 16x6.5-8 turf masters for cheap let me know). I ended up breaking the steel bands in one of the beads getting it off so they have to be replaced.

Anyone know what the red gell is inside the front tires?

DSCN0588.JPG

I also got new hardware and wheels for the back side bolted on. Time for assembly!!

DSCN0589.JPG