#1277 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 04:46 PM

took the finder pan off the 400 and fixed the tail lights today . wire had came unplugged and also fixed the light switch it was a little loose and the lights would flicker some of the time .  

#1278 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Put the 689 RER on it's feet:

HPIM2581 (Custom).JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#1279 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:36 PM

0126131447.jpg

0126131447a.jpg

0126131448.jpg

0126131445.jpg

Went plowing today with the JD 116. My son wanted to help too. Snow was only about 2" deep, but him and i had fun! :D

This is where we camp in the summer. About 18 acres of woods, 2 ponds.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0126131448a.jpg

#1280 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:42 PM

ooops! was supposed to be in the "what you did with your tractor thread"  :smilewink:

#1281 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:04 PM

This may be a combo of the WITH and TO. The weather was nice today, so I decided to do the mid-winter "run every thing ya got". I started all of the GTs , drove the hydros, ran the mower decks on the ones that had them, started the trucks that havent been run for a while. It keeps the batteries charged, seals lubricated, crappy gas out of the carb and see what needs work. About half of the batteries were under charged, the 95 dodge acts like one of the injectors is stuck or needs plugs, as it is sluggish on throttle response and it is smoking more than usual. The 94 ford was dead as a hammer and master cylinder leaked down to empty. Most of the crappy LTs fired right up. most of the GTs needed a boost. At the bottom of the list is the "redneck Gator" , 91 camry  with a 3" lift and the back half chopped to make a mini pickup. The new fuel pump I put in last spring seems to be locked up. It wont pump with the key on and reads open with an ohmmeter. Easy access and I think I just need to pull it out and smack it with a hammer a few times

#1282 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well today I finished taking my engine apart . Piston and rod look like new ,but ring ends weren;t exactly staggered. Now I have to decide whether or not to put in new rings.   No looseness anywhere except valve guides maybe border line . I.ll clean and check tomorrow . I'll be glad when everything is finally in the go back together stage.

larryd

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#1283 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Well today I finished taking my engine apart . Piston and rod look like new ,but ring ends weren;t exactly staggered. Now I have to decide whether or not to put in new rings.   No looseness anywhere except valve guides maybe border line . I.ll clean and check tomorrow . I'll be glad when everything is finally in the go back together stage.

larryd

Larry, if the rings were all lined up, that will cause them to smoke along with borderline valve guides.

#1284 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:21 AM

I've always put new rings in if I pulled a piston. Just makes sense to me. Then you know they aren't an issue anymore!

#1285 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Today was the first time I worked on any of my GTs in several months.  Boy did it feel good to be turning some wrenches.

My Meteor hasn't run since I bought it but a few months ago I determined that the coil isn't really bad as the PO thought.  He just had it wired to the ground terminal on the keyswitch. :D

The wiring needs re-done but before I start on that I wanted to take care of the hydraulic leaks on the lines running from the hydrostat to the reservoir.  Unfortunately, the fittings on the hydrostat end were impossible to reach so after a careful examination I decided it would be much easier to pull the engine than the hydrostat.  Then a few bolts later the steering components were loose enough to pull the dash back for complete access.  That was it for today.  Now I have lots of caked on oily dirt to scrape off to see exactly what all is leaking.

I did learn that a Tecumseh HH100 with a starter/generator is pretty darn heavy. :(

#1286 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm not working on the tractor right now but have been tinkering in the garage in recent weeks..  My Stihl chainsaw quit while cutting wood so I ordered parts and replaced the fuel line & filter on that..  Good to go now!

I have a challenging project given to me by a buddy a while back..  He pulled a Onan Genset out of a motor home and I am trying to figure out how to make it into a portable unit and wire it up for him..  This one is still on the drawing board for now..  I did clean out a lot of chestnuts a family of chipmunks or other critters left all over the thing so far..  

Yesterday's project was getting the heat back going in the shop..  It is an old gas unit and won't start..  First I replaced the thermo couple and no joy..  The tank was getting low so I refilled it..   I tried it again and...  No go..   :wallbanging:   It's been real cold lately so I was leaning towards a froze up regulator..  I disconnected the line and warmed it up..  I then reconnected and retried and whaaala!  It worked!   :dancingbanana:   Now I can work in a warm shop (60 degrees) and finish things up!   :firejumper:  :D

My grandson's snowmobile engine mostly seized a main bearing and I'm in the process of rebuilding it..  The parts came today to get the thing rebuilt so all the engine's parts are soaking in the parts washer to be cleaned & washed.  

#1287 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:35 PM

Did some more work on my deck rebuild...

http://gardentractor...75-44c-rebuild/

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0526.JPG
  • DSCN0527.JPG
  • DSCN0531.JPG

#1288 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Got back on doing some spot sanding on the M/W built by Bolens to figure out the decals and paint.

Going to set up a small E-tank tomorrow at home to strip some of the sheet metal.

#1289 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:46 PM

Couldn't stand doing any more homework today.  The weather was a balmy 60 F, so I went out and pulled out two of my Masseys.  Both got oil changes and greased the front axles and spindles.  Next time I have some time, I'll pull the decks, sharpen the blades and check tire pressures and make sure all is ready for the spring.  I might have preferred to do all this in the fall, but the growing season here just kind of trails off.  I remember just before we put lights up for Christmas, I mowed the yard to mulch leaves and keep the grass from looking ragged once the lights were up.

#1290 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2013 - 10:53 PM

I continued to tear apart my M/W Squire 6. I about have it all tore down and will start gathering up parts and get more sheet metal in the E-tank.