#1231 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:45 PM

Well, it wasn't my tractor but I got into a couple hours of wrenching on a JD 650.. The neighbor's been complaining about sticking brakes and bought brand new shoes for me to replace.. (Those things were sure pricey lil' buggers!!) I came in for the day at 7 pm and the fun will continue tomorrow..

Finished that job up this morning.. Sure was a lot of brake dustage to clean out of the housings.. Whew! Re-adjusted things up and they work more better.. Gave him the Five-fifteen warranty!! Wait a minute! I didn't even charge labor!! Oh well.
  • hatedge said thank you

#1232 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:16 PM

Started mounting the snowblower for the AMF 1010 today. Kind of a tricky bugger to get hooked up. Hope to get it all hooked up tomorrow and get started hooking up the blower and cab on the Cub Cadet 123. Haven't had much time to work on my GTs lately, forgot how much fun it was.

Got the blower all set up on the AMF and put chains on it. Put the snowblower,cab and chains on the 123 also. Just need snow now!!
  • hatedge said thank you

#1233 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 12:21 AM

I had to work today and Karen tonight, so playtime was limited.
Took the 3 point off the 18/6 as it's the wrong one and put it on the ST16.
Put the tank (as clean as I can get it) back on the 16 until I can get authorization for a good replacement,
Started tracing the gremlin in the 18/6's wiring... Think it's a Ignition switch issue
Made a template for the mounting for a temporary air cleaner bracket (still hoping the guy I bought it from, finds the original)
Began the hunt for a proper clutch spring for the 18, I have on the right length, but it's lighter duty. Think I should keep looking.

Feels good to start to make a little headway again. Hope tomorrow is a productive day.
  • hatedge said thank you

#1234 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 05:17 PM

Finished that job up this morning.. Sure was a lot of brake dustage to clean out of the housings.. Whew! Re-adjusted things up and they work more better.. Gave him the Five-fifteen warranty!! Wait a minute! I didn't even charge labor!! Oh well.

5 /15 ? As in 5 foot ride or 15 minutes operation? lol

Edited by hatedge, December 02, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#1235 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 10:17 PM

Finally got the governor issues sorted out on the JD 112 and put it 100% back together. Then replaced the air filter on the 212 and put it back together. Moved on down the line to the RF 112 and mounted the new to me air cleaner and elbow I've been missing since I acquired the tractor. I've had the elbow and air cleaner for about 6 weeks just haven't put it on. Then started on my free JD 265. Emptied the tank filled with fresh gas. Swapped some parts from my parts engine and turned the key. Can't seem to get it to run. I managed to make it backfire out the exhaust, scaring the crap out of me. Oh well, try again tomorrow. Anyone good with 17 hp OHV Kawasaki's?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#1236 HankS OFFLINE  

HankS

• Contributor
  • Member No: 7608
  • 48 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:50 AM

Picked up a Bolens H16XT(1659) a few weeks ago with Ariens snow blade modified to fit the Bolens mounts and hydraulic lift and a set of 2 link tire chains. The following list is what's been done since then.

Started by washing it and removing all the mud from the underside. It was obviously used to push dirt as the trans and gearbox were caked with mud. Changed rearend fluid and filter, can't believe it holds almost 2 gallons of fluid.

Removed engine shields and cleaned cooling fins. Found all headbolts barely snug, torqued them down and ordered new head gaskets. I'll replace them when they arrive. Also found spark plugs barely finger tight. Surprised it ran so good considering.

Original headlights had been replaced with some LED lights. For some reason instead of tapping into original light harness the PO ran new wires back to the dash and added a seperate switch for the lights. I cleaned up that mess and used the original harness so lights work off ignition switch as they should.

Rerouted choke and throttle cables, both were hanging out the sides.

Whoever modified the Ariens blade got the spacing of the mounting taps off. Not sure how they ever forced it into the mounts on the tractor. Cut one tab off, spaced it out 1/4" and re-welded it. It now slides easily into the mounts on the tractor.

Yesterday I rebuilt the carb, maybe I'll get it back on today. Engine ran good but surged some at idle.

Sounds like a lot of stuff but the tractor was cheap and it's built like a tank. I ran it up and down some hills before buying it and the engine speed stayed nice and steady. No noticable change in rpm whether climbing or decending a hill.

Just need some snow to see how well it pushes it.

#1237 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 10, 2012 - 11:52 PM

Working on a Cub Cadet 122. Had to take the head off and replace the bent exhaust valve. Took and cleaned up some rusty connections and did a little new wiring so it will turn over with the key now instead of having to use a jumper cable to the starter. It is real close to running now(I hope). Its been about 15 years since it last ran.

#1238 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:30 PM

Finally had a little time today so I pulled out the 16 hp briggs engine I got from Indiana so that I could pull the shroud and clean out the ubiquitous mouse nests typically found there.
I installed Ron's tow truck lift bar on the rear of my AC 916 and backed right back to the 150# engine, snatched it up and took it around to my shop.

Posted Image
I usually move engines on a hand truck but this was so much easier.

I used my new one ton hoist and lifted it up on to a small work table. So far no sweat! I love labor saving devices.

Posted Image

I got the shroud off ( love the newer fan shrouds that don't require your loosening the head bolts. I was very pleasantly surprised to find no mouse nests and very little debris in the cooling fins.
Posted Image
I brushed the booster fan and flywheel to remove caked on dirt and used a thin wooden shim to clean the fins and we were ready to button her up.
Posted Image

I soon ran out of time and had to call it quits for the evening. Hope I can get back on it tomorrow evening.
This engine is destine to replace the tired old engine in my Simplicity 3414s.

One thing I noticed is the original color of the paint on the engine was a purplish red, kinda like candy apple red. What would this engine have come from?

Posted Image

Edited by skunkhome, December 12, 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#1239 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 09:50 PM

I didn't take pics, but I'll follow up with some soon. Being relatively new to the site (I'm in the new member introduction area) it didn't occur to me to take pics . . .

Posted Image

Anyway, I got my hands on a set of two link tire chains for my Town & Country, for free. I didn't realize chains look so cool on garden tractor tires!

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, December 19, 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#1240 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,396 Thanks
  • 1,228 posts

Posted December 13, 2012 - 08:30 PM

Well I finally got my '74 112 tires filled. I also changed the fluid in the transaxle. Only thing next is to wire up the headlights and taillights. I'm considering adding a flasher in with the taillights so they look like hazards when I'm pushing snow. Anyone ever done this? Its not real complicated when it comes to the wiring. Even thought about adding ambers on the front that will flash with them.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

#1241 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 03:35 PM

Welded up a broken right spindle on the Homelite this morning.
She was starting to lean in quite a bit:
Megan's eir piercing 007.jpg

Just broke around the weld, nothing too major. Hopefully my weld job holds up.
Sweepster #2 002.jpg Sweepster #2 004.jpg
Sweepster #2 006.jpg

#1242 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:42 AM

After testing my 3pt - sleeve hitch for my plow I figured out where the plow needed to mount to the tool bar. Made a new dedicated bar for the plow to mount to, got it welded up and primmed. I'll paint it tonight.

#1243 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:47 AM

Got a flat tire on the 425 so it's been living in the shop on a jack.. Took the tire off and fought with it to install a tube.. Grrrr.. :wallbanging:

Tube's in now and it even holds air!! Now the deck's gonna get cleaned up for the winter.. Pics may be shared.. We'll see.. :shoot2:

#1244 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm a few days late with this post, but I figured nobody would mind. I was working on my Town & Country on Sunday and decided to have a look at the steering as the old girl would one only steer in one direction. I found it was missing the woodruff key.

Posted Image

Since it is at least an hour drive round trip to the parts store, I figured I could make one up. I know they are inexpensive to buy, but since I had it apart, I wanted to button it back up.

Posted Image

A little piece of 3/16 flat bar and the delicate application of the angle grinder and I finished with this.

Posted Image

When I was done, I had a nice tight fit and could steer in both directions.

Now I am on to cleaning up some of the electrical. I checked out the electric clutch and have good continuity and low resistance, but the wires between the switch and the clutch have more tape on them than could possibly be needed.

I didn't get to unwrap that present as I was summoned by the Misses to go Christmas shopping...

Jeff

#1245 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 19, 2012 - 07:36 PM

Lately I have been attempting to get my snow plow on my GT235 and today I feel I finally got it all together and fine tuned to push some snow-that's if & when we get some.
I am ready to go.

Dick