• Please log in to reply
2307 replies to this topic

#1216 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:29 PM

Today I did something to my tractor I don't think I ever did before. I dropped out the oil... and left it when Wifey yelled, "C'mon, the store closes in an hour!"

My tractor keys on the hook now have a big strip of duct tape with red Sharpie... "OIL" ...written on it.:D
  • twostep said thank you

#1217 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:26 PM

Changed the oil in the Craftsman Pro, dropped the mower deck and installed the Berco snow blower drive unit (not the blower just yet). Then I gave her her annual wash to get all the summer dust and fall leaf crud off.

Then I fixed the loose battery cable on the JD 214 and changed the engine oil. I found the gear oil foamy so I'll have to get some and do that too.

#1218 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Rearranged the barn today, made it easier to get to ever thing. Pulled my old boat out, it will sit out for now. The old boat had been sitting at the back of the barn. I think there is room for a few more tractors now. uploadfromtaptalk1353289423080.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1353289440354.jpg

Edited by Chuck_050382, November 18, 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#1219 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 09:13 PM

My concience bothered me all night leaving that machine with no oil in it! So I finished it this morning and removed the duct tape from the ignition key.
  • MH81 said thank you

#1220 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Got the kids shuttled where they needed to be and Ryan & I headed out to pick up my newest brush find. A 1973 ST16

When we got It home, I did a quick introduction with the SS12 and it's new Big Brother. Then I drained the tank & decided it needed a little TLC, removed for cleaning this winter. Discovered the carb full of yech and did the cleaning I could without removal. Actually got it to run for a while. :)

Spent the next 1/2 hour looking thru manuals and whatnot that came with it.

I plan on getting this into running shape as soon as I can to take the heavy lifting chores off the SS12.

To see pics of the tractor or the "gas" that was in it, you can find them HERE

#1221 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 05:03 PM

Today I finished the snowblower install and maintainence. I picked up a SB800 last week for the 5518 and have been working on getting it ready to go. It needed a new drive chain, new skid shoes, and the cutter edge turned over. A previous owner had run it too low and the skid shoes were worn out and the cutting edge was worn away. I also changed the lube in the gearbox and the shearbolts that were wrong also. I had skid shoes fabricated by a local fabricator that are 3/8" thick compared to 1/4" and 4" wide instead of 2". I took a picture of my snow removal gang to share here. The 5518 with 42" blower, the RT5000 with 54" blade and the 928 tracked walk behind.

#1222 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Like so many others on here who's "hope for snow springs eternal", I got the plow and blower out for the spider web and dried leaf removals. Since the Johnny Bucket is 30 seconds on 30 seconds off I don't use the plow anymore in the summer. It sat face down nearly sheltered by the end of the carport with the blower all summer.

Gave both the leaf blower and 50% Simple Green treatment and tomorrow the JB bracket comes off the tractor and the weight's go on the back. I'll also take off the mower, sharpen up the Gators and reinstall the OEM blades for Spring "Twig 'n Branch Cleanup". All this snow equipment fussin' better be worth it this year, it surely wasn't last year!:D

#1223 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Yesterday I got the tiller taken off the S-16 put the plow on. I want to do something different this year for the weights, not sure what yet.

#1224 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted November 25, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Installed and tested the snowblower, cab, weights and chains.

Posted Image

#1225 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:19 PM

took the carb out on the 1886 and cleaned the heck out of it reinstalled it and the bolens still revs none stop. Cannot get that problem figured out. Took the mower off in the hopes to get the GT running enough to ride it in the barn to get the winter cab on.

#1226 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 11:39 PM

Put the mower deck up against the wall in the carport, the Johnny Bucket in front of that, the snow blower in front of that and finally the plow in front. Now awaiting the first flakes to decide which "implement" will be required for the very first snow. If we go like last year the snowblower will continue to remain dormant and aging yet another year unused. I just have to clean and wax the skid chains and air down the tires, new air filter(s) and plugs. Nothing to do for the rest of the winter with the tractor except a ride down to Mahatma-Mart for bread now and then... So sad, the tractor was a real good snow removal machine.:D

#1227 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:02 PM

figured out how to install tire chains for the first time and got the winter cab on, tested all the electricals on the cab and was quite proud to see my lil Bolens looking so sharp.

#1228 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,318 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Well, it wasn't my tractor but I got into a couple hours of wrenching on a JD 650.. The neighbor's been complaining about sticking brakes and bought brand new shoes for me to replace.. (Those things were sure pricey lil' buggers!!) I came in for the day at 7 pm and the fun will continue tomorrow..
  • hatedge said thank you

#1229 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 01:44 PM

Cab and chains for the winter...check! next week ill replace the old hydro quick connects and get the big 2 stages hooked up :) Cant wait to see how this lil bull works on snow ! lol
Bolen prêt pour l'hiver (1).JPG Bolen prêt pour l'hiver (2).JPG

#1230 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Started mounting the snowblower for the AMF 1010 today. Kind of a tricky bugger to get hooked up. Hope to get it all hooked up tomorrow and get started hooking up the blower and cab on the Cub Cadet 123. Haven't had much time to work on my GTs lately, forgot how much fun it was.

Edited by LTD, November 30, 2012 - 06:33 PM.

• hatedge said thank you