#1201 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,553 Thanks
  • 1,304 posts

Posted November 04, 2012 - 10:32 PM

Its been a while since I've posted or worked on anything. I finally was able to get back to my 112 resto. I painted the engine tins and made a new exhaust nipple. Put the new points and condenser on. Once the tins dry I will finish reassembling the engine and mount it in the tractor. Everything else is painted and waiting for engine installation. Managed to also score a headlight panel with working lights instead of the blank. Gotta do some wiring for that. Its my plowing and snow clearing unit so I need to get on the ball! Although I may have another blade to pick up to mount on my 212. That way my oldest has no excuse to not help!

#1202 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted November 09, 2012 - 11:37 PM

modified my drawbar to mount the sleeve hitch plow that I got off of olcowhand. then used an old junk cat0 top link to make my stabilizer bar... looks like it's going to work great but I've not seen anyone else run a stabilizer like this so I guess time will tell.

IMG_5587.JPG

#1203 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 10:22 AM

I decided to change out the ignition switch on my new to me AC 916 today. The old switch worked fine but the key would pop out of it when you hit a bump and so I would carry it in my pocket and have to go digging for it to turn the ignition off. I ordered up the B&S switch from Sandy lake Implement but discovered today that I could have purchased it locally at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I never trust the parts numbers so I made doubly sure the poles of the new switch were marked the same as the old one. Since the 5 socket plug is identical on the magneto and battery ignition wiring harness it is possible to install the wrong switch which would be a disaster. The plug on the tractor had overheated, I am sure, due to corrosion on the switch pins so I pulled the damaged clips out and scraped them clean.
I finally got her back together and put the top back on the dash. I re-attached to negative ground to the battery and turned the key on the new switch. The starter did not engage as I expected and all I heard was a sizzling sound and a small puff of smoke came from under the dash.

OH SSSSSSSHH...oot! That was just the thing I did not want to hear. I should have left well enough alone! I disconnected the negative and started looking around and feeling for hot wires indicating a short or bad connection. I figured I had cooked something but the new switch was cool as was all the wiring and near by components. I reattached the negative and decided to try frying it again with the dash set off to the side.

This time it did the same but now I could see the problem. The positive battery clamp was loose and sizzling trying to get enough power over the connection to turn the starter. Oh thank goodness! Apparently I had loosened it trying to get my hands down behind the dash to install the switch. I twisted the positive connector down on the post and the tractor fired right up. Unfortunately the cable end was too far gone to tighten permanently so I cut it off and replaced it. Now she cranks up, runs fine and the keys don't fall out.

I had also purchased a new steering wheel because the old one had a cracked hub and I figured it might not survive the removal to get at the ignition switch. Much to my surprise it came off rather easily. The steering wheels on this particular series of tractors are all plastic construction with a flat hex shaped reinforcement. The new one refused to go down over the steering shaft so I just discarded it and used the old one which would go on without resistance. Then the hex washer did not want to go into the recess at bottom of the steering wheel. I thought I would just drive it in but the softish plastic just curled under the washers edge. I had to trim the plastic out with a pocket knife to finally get the thing seated. Then the steering wheel didn't want to go down on the strange shaped shaft. After several attempts and cleaning I finally got it within 1/2" of seating and couldn't go forward or pull it off so I tapped it home using a large diameter socket and a hammer. It took quite a bit of tapping because the soft plastic absorbs the shock. Well I got it on but I am sure that when it comes time to remove it, the process will be a bear if not unsuccessful. I am not sure why Simplicity/AC changed from the original steering wheel introduced with the tractor series ( I guess to make the seating position more upright.) but I have no doubt why they changed to a third style in a number of months.

Edited by skunkhome, November 11, 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#1204 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 4,652 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Got the cab mounted on the Bolens HT20D. It already had the hydro angle blade on it.

I'm ready for the snow.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4437.JPG
  • 100_4438.JPG

#1205 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,700 Thanks
  • 2,917 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Spent some time today adding Liquid Ballast to the Massey 12G. I've decided to keep the current ATV tires on there as they seem to grip quite well. 3 Gallons per tire in the front , 8 gallons of water/antifreeze mix in each of the rears. Then I hooked up the plow and turned half my garden just to see. NO MORE SLIPPING! Plus, with the extra weight in the front, I was able to turn with a bit more authority at the end of the row with the plow up.

#1206 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,042 Thanks
  • 28,971 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Slept in a little this morning, then unloaded the Sears SS12. KK and I put the snow blower and the cab back on.

A little later, Ryan and I cleaned up the plows & put some paint on the metal that was showing.
Then we put the tractors away and winterized KK's Wheel Horse.

#1207 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 08:26 PM

Gave the 445 a bath today. Cleaned the blade and wheels real good.

#1208 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 36,225 Thanks
  • 29,984 posts

Posted November 11, 2012 - 09:28 PM

No time for play or to use, but fired up to park inside out of the weather, the John Deere 430, Allis 620, and the Massey w/FEL. Rain coming in tonight.

#1209 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 354 Thanks
  • 405 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 12:34 PM

Got the turf tires filled with washer fluid and mounted on the MF12. The chains, wheel weights, rear weights, and snowthrower all on. Ran it on the scale. It weighed in with no rider at 1065 lbs.

#1210 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 670 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Filled and put chains on a rear turf tire that will go on my GT6000 for pushing snow. Now I have a complete set ready for the tractor. I'll still need to remove the ag tires/weights from the GT6000 and put the turfs-with-chains/weights on. Also took the snow blade mounting bracket off of the GT6000 and made it fit the PGT9000. Now I need to do some fabricating to extend the channel steel toward the rear of the PGT9000 where it's lift mechanism is. My goal is to be able to use the blade on either tractor. I might experiment with making a lift handle for the PGT9000 to be mounted more mid-frame, as on the GT6000. Seems like it ought to be fairly easy to make a simple lift arm that is mounted to the mid-frame area with a handle that would extend from under the left side of the tractor. I'll have to think on that one....

#1211 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Finished making my stabilzer bar for mounting my sleeve hitch plow to my drawbar. Hope to try it out this weekend! I'll take pictures.

#1212 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,225 Thanks
  • 29,984 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Finished making my stabilzer bar for mounting my sleeve hitch plow to my drawbar. Hope to try it out this weekend! I'll take pictures.

Test plowing at home, or did you find a plow day to go to?

#1213 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 2,491 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 12:05 PM

Test plowing at home, or did you find a plow day to go to?

Home. I've been burning brush and collecting yard clippings on my garden plot ever since we bought the place back in July. I'm going to mulch and spread a truck load of leaves over it and turn it over. Then in another week or so I'm going to get a couple trailer loads of manure and spread it over it. Just trying to get it prep'd for spring time.

#1214 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 36,225 Thanks
  • 29,984 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 03:18 PM

Home. I've been burning brush and collecting yard clippings on my garden plot ever since we bought the place back in July. I'm going to mulch and spread a truck load of leaves over it and turn it over. Then in another week or so I'm going to get a couple trailer loads of manure and spread it over it. Just trying to get it prep'd for spring time.

Poo'd to food! It does a garden good!
  • twostep said thank you

#1215 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,347 Thanks
  • 2,419 posts

Posted November 17, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Changed the oil in the 420, 317 Special & 790 today!

HPIM2522 (Custom).JPG

Then put the 49 blower & cab on the 314:

HPIM2521 (Custom).JPG

HPIM2523 (Custom).JPG

HPIM2524 (Custom).JPG

Lowell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with your tractor, to your tractor