• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Decided to do one of the hardest pre winter jobs for my Sears. Install the snow blower.
It's always a PITA getting all the stuff lined up. Has to be JUST so.
This year it was a half harder due to the oversized tires I just installed. Had to get a little creative getting the belly mount rod in that holds the lift lever.

#1157 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 07:39 PM

Easy fix, made an engine pulley. :)

How do you cut the keyways?

#1158 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted September 30, 2012 - 11:31 PM

A tool called a broach. Like a really thick hacksaw blade. There is a guide that goes into the bore, thend the broach is pushed through with an arbor press and shaves it out.
Took me maybe an hour to make the pulley.

#1159 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 01, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Simple job, through it took about half the day to analyze the problem I corrected a no start issue and inconsistent operation of my AC B112. I changed out the coil (engine converted to battery ignition years ago) and now she runs better than she ever has since my ownership.

Edited by skunkhome, October 02, 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#1160 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:42 PM

Simple job, through it took about half the day to analyze the problem I corrected a no start issue and inconcictant operation of my AC B112. I changed out the coil (engine converted to battery ignition years ago) and now she runs better than she ever has since my ownership.

Attaman! good job!

#1161 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:45 PM

How do you cut the keyways?

Theres always a way. I cut mine with a Zip cut grinder blade an finish the with a file. Takes the best part of an afternoon but in the end its tight enough for me likings

#1162 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Theres always a way. I cut mine with a Zip cut grinder blade an finish the with a file. Takes the best part of an afternoon but in the end its tight enough for me likings

Good nuff for my likings too! :thumbs:
  • hatedge said thank you

#1163 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,313 Thanks
  • 982 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Took the batt and tray out of my 314, removed the tin around the steering column, took up the slack I could in the steering gear box. Started to pump grease in and found the zerk was beat up enough leak grease while pumping. Took it out and found the face that connects w/ the gun had a couple of small dings in it. How that happened in such a hard to reach spot is beyond me.Installed new zerk and pumped 'til I could see grease oozing out.
Reinstalled the hyd control handle someone removed for some strange reason. The little woodruff key was, of course, missing. Local hardware store had them.
After reinstalling everything I found my intermitent no crank problem is in the PTO switch. If I wiggle the handle in the off position then it will crank and start. Have to find one of them now. I also need a new choke cable, local napa should have that.
While I had the engine running I turned on the PTO switch and it wants to kill the engine. Found the wires to seat safety switch cut. There's two pink wires cut and a yellow wire w/ a push on connector. Do I need to connect the two pink wires to get the PTO to work w/o killing the engine?
While I had it running I checked RPM w/ my HF phototach. High idle is 3016, I set idle speed at 1600 so it won't shake things so bad. Are these about right?
Thanks,
Mike

#1164 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 11:16 PM

What tractor is this 314? JD?

#1165 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 11:36 PM

What tractor is this 314? JD?

Yes, JD 314..

#1166 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted October 03, 2012 - 09:13 AM

We tried wiring past the seat switch on one because the operator was too light and it would cut out every time he hit a bump. We never were able to get it to work by "hot-wiring". And don't know why.

#1167 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 01:38 PM

Have the hood painted. Needed the typical fiberglass repair to the front of the hood. Would seem as though I'm not the only one to miss the brake pedal and use the front of the machine as a battering ram.

Take a look:
Posted Image
I fiberglassed the rear of the hood, below the head light, 4 layers, just to make sure things stayed in place.

Posted Image

Here is the underside of the hood with non-paintable undercoating applied. It sets up hard like a spray in bed liner and I like the texture.

Posted Image

And the top side with a little JD green applied. Waiting for it to cure for a few days and I'll wet sand and buff it out for a little additional shine.

#1168 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:40 PM

Simple day today. Removed the deck off the Cub Cadet 108 to get ready for the blade.

#1169 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 08:41 PM

Have the hood painted. Needed the typical fiberglass repair to the front of the hood. Would seem as though I'm not the only one to miss the brake pedal and use the front of the machine as a battering ram.

Take a look:
Posted Image
I fiberglassed the rear of the hood, below the head light, 4 layers, just to make sure things stayed in place.

Posted Image

Here is the underside of the hood with non-paintable undercoating applied. It sets up hard like a spray in bed liner and I like the texture.

Posted Image

And the top side with a little JD green applied. Waiting for it to cure for a few days and I'll wet sand and buff it out for a little additional shine.

That came out looking really nice!!! :thumbs:

#1170 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 05, 2012 - 10:43 PM

No pictures, but did a number of little things to my MF12 G today. I put the tire guards back in place, put several missing bolts in and finished drilling and tapping my hubs in the effort to get them tight. Also put a brace on the muffler to help take some strain off the engine, greased it and generally made sure things were right and tight. I'll be volunteering with my kids at their school tomorrow to do some landscaping chores.