#1111 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:46 PM

+Well, finally laid some green paint on the 112 frame, dash tower, hood supports, and PTO cover. I scored some amazing parts Saturday which cut my painting in over half. I have everything I need to get it together. I have to paint the rearend and wheels then its assembly time. I'm getting excited to be at this point. Also made a trip to my parents and told them that I'm replacing their JD 180 for a newer 265. I had to measure a few spots in their yard to prevent any future deck repairs. They were pretty excited considering they've had this 180 for about 20+ years. Its an early Xmas present. It'll take me a few weeks to get the 265 ready for them.

#1112 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:25 PM

Finally got the "crew" washed up after last weekend's dusty show today:

HPIM3905 (Custom).JPG

HPIM3906 (Custom).JPG

83-420, 80-314, 70-70 I & 69-L/60 Custom. ~~ Lowell

#1113 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Been working on my Massey "2055". The carb had some water in the bowl, so had to clean the carb up inside. She was totally filthy outside from sitting in the shed so long without a bath, so she got a quick rinse-off, but not a good washing. Hooked up the plow to test her out, and she's now running well, and have the plow in adjustment.

DSC00437.JPG

The rear pto shaft runs all the time, so I slipped the belts off & zip-tied them to fittings on the hydro on the top, and around the oil filter at the bottom. No sense in these wearing when you're not using the pto. Need to put the tunnel cover back on.

DSC00438.JPG

Getting hot & sweaty out there now, and not fun anymore, so I may call it a day with the tractors. Only one day off a week, and I need a break from "work". Maybe this evening when it cools down, then it will be fun again.

#1114 ggsteve OFFLINE  

ggsteve

• Member No: 4164
  • 142 Thanks
  • 253 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Cleaned yet another mouse nest out of one of my tractors. This time it was the JD 214. Not too much stuff, I must have caught it early.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by ggsteve, August 26, 2012 - 03:15 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#1115 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Turned my old White LT12 into a Ferrari. Maybe now the kids will use it. lol

ferrari 007.JPG ferrari 005.JPG ferrari 006.JPG

#1116 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 09:14 PM

What did I do TO my tractor today? Heh, heh... I left it in the barn and we went out and started looking for a bigger lawn and longer driveway for it to work on! :smilewink:

Edited by HydroHarold, August 27, 2012 - 09:15 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#1117 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted August 30, 2012 - 09:27 PM

At the last plow day, I noticed a little slop showing up again in the front axle pivot. I had snugged it up once before but it is time for a change.

Ryan and I took the front end completely out. It's the only way to get the bolt out back past the tie rods.
GEDC0908.JPG

Here's a big part of the slop.
GEDC0910.JPG
GEDC0911.JPG

I decided that this is one of those places there should be grease. I also wondered aloud what ding-a-ling at Roper decided there shouldn't be a fitting.

I was going to drill the tube in the front axle, but decided plan B would be a better option.

I drilled 2" down thru the head and the center of the bolt, then I cross drilled it, tapped the head hole and installed a grease fitting.

GEDC0912.JPG
GEDC0913.JPG

It's back on all fours now. And it's been greased. Much less play in the axle, still some in the steering, but that's for another night.

#1118 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 31, 2012 - 02:45 PM

I finally got around to putting new rags in the LGT195 driveline. Had to weld up a few spots where the driveline was hitting bolts and wore the rod about half way through. While I had it all tore down, I went around and greased everything. I checked the Hydro oil and it looked a little low. I cleaned out an old tire slime pump to put the oil in the hole. it worked great. The bad part was it took almost 2 qts to fill it. I dont use it much and one of the fittings drips a little, but it shouldnt have been that low. The only thing I can think of is, I dont remember adding oil after I built and installed the front dozer blade with hydraulic angle. I have noticed that it didnt have as much lifting power the last few times I used it. I hope this will fix that.

#1119 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 03, 2012 - 09:28 AM

Working on the 116 Hydro to repair a leaking fuel line from the tank petcock to the fuel pump. No problem... had the line on hand. Thought it might be a good idea to replace the cooling fan for the trans as I had the replacement on hand. "can't get to it from here, from this angle, or not even from HERE", was the story of the day. Ended up removing the seat, fender pan, steering wheel, mower deck, and raising the dash tower a good 6" or more before the fender pan would come off. That is where it sits as of this morning, with the old fan removed and waiting for a good pressure wash and reinstall. Pics tomorrow. The thought of doing a quick repaint of the tins, has crossed my mind, we'll see...

Pics:
Posted Image
Need to clean it up first.

Posted Image

This is where the old fan WAS located. The hard part is going to be getting the new one back in there. I may have to unbolt the rear of the frame to gain enough access to get "new" fan in. Tight spaces on these little 116s.

Posted Image
Much better. Hate working on dirty greasy things. Can't see what I'm doing. Additionally, a clean hydro is a happy hydro. I'll also be replacing the hydro fluid and the main drive belt as I'm not planning on going back into this tractor, any time soon.

Edited by dave8338, September 04, 2012 - 08:38 AM.

#1120 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted September 04, 2012 - 06:32 PM

I had a chance to get in to my LGT 100 with a bent spindle today. Broke it trying to straighten it after my son thought pulling out a buried tractor was a speed event. I got it level with a 10 foot pipe. then dropped it to find out it bent back. tried it one more time and it broke off, Turns out it only had 1/4" left holding it.

Anyone want to buy a 3 legged LGT100?

Posted Image

#1121 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Took a little time to paint the frame rails in Satin Black and did the control levers and hydro fill tube, in a High Gloss Black.

Also picked up a few cans of Valspar Enamel John Deere Green and will do a quicky job on the fender pan and dash tower. Will be heading out to the JD dealership tomorrow, to pick up a new drive belt and a few bits to put it back together.

Here is what it looks like now, under the fender pan.

Posted Image

#1122 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 02:18 PM

Did a fluid change on the hydro pump yesterday (still need to run the tractor to make sure that it is full) and went to look at the axle a bit closer. Hmmm... drain plug on the bottom. I like to at least make sure that all the fluids are changed out and full on anything "new" that I buy and this was no exception. The axle is, if I understand correctly, "filled for life" and not serviceable. But what about this little drain plug? Couldn't find ANY fill plug on the axle housing, no matter how hard I searched. But what about the drain plug ?
Thought I should at least loosen it and make sure that there was fluid in it. Loosened the plug but did not remove it. NOTHING... not a drip to be found. Posted Image At this point, I had to pull the plug as it appeared that the axle was empty. IT WAS ! Posted Image

Now I'm faced with the task of filling an axle that is supposed to be filled for life (nothing ever is) and I have a few thoughts.
1. Find a petcock that will thread into the housing in place of the drain plug and back feed the fluid through the petcock.
2. Drill a hole in the axle case (using an exploded diagram to verify that I'm not going to hit something) and tap it, flush out the axle with diesel fuel to rinse out any metal shards that are sure to get in, and refill with 80W 90 gear oil.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated... Posted Image

#1123 willy OFFLINE  

willy

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8423
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:27 PM

Well June I worked the Beaver over , set up the 1 bottom plow & the cultivator , waxed fenders , belt guard . I'm getting ready to show the 750 Beaver at the Santa Cruz County Fair , coming up Tuesday . If I can figure out how to load pic's I'll take some and share .

#1124 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:49 AM

Well June I worked the Beaver over , set up the 1 bottom plow & the cultivator , waxed fenders , belt guard . I'm getting ready to show the 750 Beaver at the Santa Cruz County Fair , coming up Tuesday . If I can figure out how to load pic's I'll take some and share .

Welcome, Willy! Check out the videos section, lots of good info for the new folks on the site. It's Here!

#1125 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted September 08, 2012 - 09:09 AM

New belt and fan are in (JD sure made it a pain in the rear on the 116 models) and I'm still thinking on the rear diff fluid-fill options. :spanka: Previous owners or a shop that they took it to, sure can add a bit of complexity, to any old project. I'll get it sorted...

Posted Image
All buttoned back up

Posted Image
Just a FEW of the bolts that had to come out. Brake linkage, steering gear, and at least a dozen fasteners, need to be removed to change the main drive belts on the 116s.

Posted Image
Prep for paint...