• Please log in to reply
2305 replies to this topic

#1036 maxedout OFFLINE  

maxedout
  • Member No: 9548
  • 37 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Today I got to mow! It's been rainy here and I doubted I could mow today but we had a nice breeze all day. It was a good cool day to mow, I was going to use my JD210 but I snapped the deck drive belt when I started the PTO, I thought I had just replaced that belt but turns out I had changed the deck blade belt.

So, off I went got the JD214 out of the shed and had a good day mowing the back 40! Came home washed it really good and then towel dried it and put it back in the shed. Still having some issues with governor hunting so I am thinking maybe the gear is worn out or something. At any rate, I got a nice surprise in the mail today, a new used fuel pump. Mine was seeping gas a little bit so I put that on and then had to readjust the carburetor slightly for some reason? I think maybe this new pump was working a tad better or something.

I guess with all that said, I had a good day with my GT and spent some time messing about. It was a good day to mow and relaxing, after all that I came inside and sit down on the couch around 7 and something must have happened, not sure what? Next thing I knew my wife was calling me and when I looked at the clock I first thought it said 8:00 but then I quickly realized it was 10:00!

See what a good GT day does!

#1037 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 07, 2012 - 11:04 PM

Pulled the tiller off of the 1886 and replaced it with the 3-pt hitch.

The G11 got new tires all the way around, and since it was now mobile, I took a short vid of it moving on it's own power.

I posted that vid here:

http://gardentractor...-some-thoughts/

#1038 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:48 PM

When I was tilling with the 1886, I bent the exhaust a bit on some low branches, and I need to replace a 90* elbow so that the muffler points straight up again

Went to Wally World today, and bought a cordless Dremel so I could cut off the muffler clamps.

I got the 7.2V one, and I gotta say that I ain't all that impressed. Probably should have gotten one of the 120V corded ones.

It's OK I guess for really light stuff, but it just doesn't have any power when you are using a whiz wheel to cut steel.

Got one clamp cut, but the battery pooped out with about 3/4 of the 2nd one cut.

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to finish it up.

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 18, 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#1039 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Hey Old Buzzard take it from an old goat, that's why people abandoned the lower voltage battery drills. They're nice, small and light but just don't have the guts to stay with the job. Most of my cutting I do with a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel on it. Works great but you have to be sure to wear eye protection.

#1040 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 06:57 PM

tore into the ford yt16h today to try and find out if there is a short someplace. also reset the steering and found that the PO had cut the steering rod so im kinda at a stand still on the steering till i find another one. i did find a connector that looks like all the wire have been cut and the brake pooch is missing unless im looking in the right spot.

#1041 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Changed the rear tires to bar lug on the Allis 620.

DSC00895.JPG

#1042 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 18, 2012 - 11:21 PM

I cut up an old Wheel Horse hood to modify it to make a hood I can actually open on my mini loader tractor. The factory hood can not be opened without having the loader fully raised which makes it a pita to fuel up. I will also be adding an auxilary fuel tank out back on the weight box.

#1043 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 05:25 AM

I installed a new transmission cooling fan on my Bolens 1600 Hydro Elminator last weekend. The pto shaft took some doing to get off the tractor, but it went back together easy enough. The old fan was down to one blade.

#1044 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 06:41 AM

I cut up an old Wheel Horse hood to modify it to make a hood I can actually open on my mini loader tractor. The factory hood can not be opened without having the loader fully raised which makes it a pita to fuel up. I will also be adding an auxilary fuel tank out back on the weight box.

Interesting.

I'm having the same thing done for my 1886 after seeing how a guy over on the MTF forum modified his.

He cut his right on the seam, and then used hinges. Makes it "articulated". I had originally thought of just cutting a hole to get access to the fuel tank which is up front, but the hinged hood is a much more elegant solution.

I've been running the 1886 without the hood since it was such a PITA to put gas in it.

#1045 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 09:11 AM

Hey Old Buzzard take it from an old goat, that's why people abandoned the lower voltage battery drills. They're nice, small and light but just don't have the guts to stay with the job. Most of my cutting I do with a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel on it. Works great but you have to be sure to wear eye protection.

Same here, I actually refrain from using battery pack tools because they dont have the power I need to work steel.

Went around the 1886 with the grease gun then took it for a spin. The steering ball-joint popped out of the shaft so I had to weld a steel washer on there to keep it from popping out again.

#1046 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,479 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 10:53 AM

I purchased a HitachI 18 volt 1/2" drill last spring and I love using it. Plenty of power (more torque than a Dewalt) and the batteries last a long time. Best battery tool I have ever gotten!

#1047 RoosterLew OFFLINE  

RoosterLew
  • Member No: 9848
  • 82 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Back I'm feb or so I bought a "lot" on eBay. 8 tractors. There was an 856 WH I there half restored, taken apart and most of it painted. Fathers day I gathered up as many parts as I could find and I have been assembling it this week. Let's see what's missing, lol!

#1048 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 19, 2012 - 07:25 PM

Been tinkering on the Allis 620. I bolted the frame belly pan back on, swapped a better head cooling shroud to it, then put the deck lift cable cover back on. Wasn't up to anything much, so just piddled around on it.

#1049 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Interesting.

I'm having the same thing done for my 1886 after seeing how a guy over on the MTF forum modified his.

He cut his right on the seam, and then used hinges. Makes it "articulated". I had originally thought of just cutting a hole to get access to the fuel tank which is up front, but the hinged hood is a much more elegant solution.

I've been running the 1886 without the hood since it was such a PITA to put gas in it.

I drilled all the spotwelds, seperated the two pieces, formed struts to fit up inside the top half of the hood then welded them to the grille. I cut about 1/4" off the leading edge of the hood portion because it wraps over top of the grille and welded 4 tabs inside the hood to lock the hood into the grille. For ease of acces to the carb / fuel pump area, I left the grille hinged and am currently fabricating a latch system for the struts.

Didn't get alot done today on this project but switched to my 1959 RJ59 project. (yes, I have 5 tractor projects going currently). The K90 shroud on this one had ripped out and stripped the bolt holes in the bearing plate. I picked up a K91 shroud at Portland that was missing 2 of the recoil threaded tabs. I removed two tabs from the original shroud and welded those in the new shroud. I then drilled and helicoiled the bearing plate.

The steering on this one was very stiff and very hard to turn so I dug into it. I found the axle installed upside down, no grease zerks in the axle whatsoever, bushings installed in the frt wheel instead of bearing and a siezed steering arm that was installed upside down causing it to hit tie rod. Had to cut the steering arm off and drill out the portion that was siezed. Made a new steering arm, installed bearings in the wheels and reassembled the correct way. Steers like power steering now!

#1050 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 20, 2012 - 07:23 AM

Not much, but did manage to get the wire replaced and a plug in installed on the GT5000 for my blinky light on the back. The original wire came off it's hanger and got into the mower belt... This one won't. :)