• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 13, 2012 - 10:51 PM

Ryan & I got the engine off the RotoSpader and onto the 3 point version. Felt good to get it off the list.

#992 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 07:56 AM

Today ill take the mower's gearbox apart to get the oilseal out of there in order to buy a new one tomorow. I also have to bring the tractors RH control arm to the welding shop to fix what I have soooo stupidly broken by putting a prybar to it. :(

#993 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Today ill take the mower's gearbox apart to get the oilseal out of there in order to buy a new one tomorow. I also have to bring the tractors RH control arm to the welding shop to fix what I have soooo stupidly broken by putting a prybar to it. :(

first I thought it was an oopsie but methinks that sounds more like an ouchie, ahh the things we do while trying to do somethin else...
chin up.

during the rain today I was looking at the weights I picked up over the weekend, deal was good but there were issues w/ cracking of the plastiquie casing so I decided to slather on some adhesive stuff and rattle on a coat or three, we'll see how they hold up..

2202.jpg

Edited by Newpaws493, May 14, 2012 - 09:54 PM.

• hatedge said thank you

#994 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 14, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Installed new valve stems and inflated the new tires for the first time. Time to install the new bearings and spindles on the tractor.

Posted Image

Did the final coat of green on the hood supports and front plate on Sunday afternoon.

Posted Image

Edited by Trav1s, May 14, 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#995 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,409 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 05:18 AM

My LGT 165 was feeling neglected and decided to let the air out of one of the back tires. These are the ones I have the brake drums/ 65 lbs. lead weights on. Valve stem is under all this. Decided to fix that situation and install a tube with the valve stem on the inside of the wheel. So I broke it all down to bare wheel and drilled a hole opposite the existing valve stem, which I left in. Just removed the core and put a cap on it. When the other tire goes down, I'll do the same to it. I still have 3 new tubes just for these situations.
  • hatedge said thank you

#996 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 10:14 AM

first I thought it was an oopsie but methinks that sounds more like an ouchie, ahh the things we do while trying to do somethin else...
chin up.

Thanks mate, The shop was able to weld it back for me but they cannot garanty it will hold. I will be drilling a hole right through the control arm and shaft to put a bolt through it. That way if the weld breaks it will not come apart and send me in the ditch with no steering mechanism. The oil seal is another story, I had to visit and call about 10 shops and none of em could find a replacement. Finally found a shop that can order the seal but they asked me for twice the price for delivery. I just cant wait anymore so I paid. While im waiting for the delivery ive gone and took all the gearbox apart and foud a broken bearing. Im gonna install all new bearings as soon as I can peel myself from this addictive forum. :p

Your weight look good, Im sure they'll be ok. You said they're plastic?
  • Newpaws493 said thank you

#997 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Thanks mate, The shop was able to weld it back for me but they cannot garanty it will hold. I will be drilling a hole right through the control arm and shaft to put a bolt through it. That way if the weld breaks it will not come apart and send me in the ditch with no steering mechanism. The oil seal is another story, I had to visit and call about 10 shops and none of em could find a replacement. Finally found a shop that can order the seal but they asked me for twice the price for delivery. I just cant wait anymore so I paid. While im waiting for the delivery ive gone and took all the gearbox apart and foud a broken bearing. Im gonna install all new bearings as soon as I can peel myself from this addictive forum. :p

Your weight look good, Im sure they'll be ok. You said they're plastic?

Some progress is still progress, just keep a cool head and lets avoid any/all human ouchies!! the casing around the concrete seems some
plasti-rubber now brittle type compound, yeh.?

IMG_6727a.jpg

Edited by Newpaws493, May 15, 2012 - 11:30 AM.

• hatedge said thank you

#998 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Uh! guess they are plastic molds?! Dont know much about these thigs yet. Figured they were all like the ones I have(cast iron). I learn something everyday here. Thanks.

Edited by hatedge, May 15, 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#999 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 02:34 PM

Uh! guess they are plastic molds?! Dont know much about these thigs yet. Figured they were all like the ones I have(cast iron). I learn something everyday here. Thanks.

sometimes many things per day, there are a variety for sure. At the time I went w/ the budget friendly option, did see cast irons available.
off topic
...meant to ask if you downloaded the 'hundreds' of addiction pdfs here:
http://gardentractor...e/page__st__210 if not you're missing gems!
  • hatedge said thank you

#1000 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 15, 2012 - 08:34 PM

Ive added some more, check em out.

Edited by hatedge, May 15, 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#1001 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 19, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Added some ballast to the rear tires on the MF8 Gear mower today. While the tires don't slip too much with my 200 lb carcass in the driver's seat, the boys weigh less than half what I do. I'd seen some folks on here were using windsheild washer fluid, so I used that rather than expensive RV non-toxic antifreeze. I jack up the axle, remove the valve core, then use a simple garden sprayer, the hose slips right over the valve stem. Pour in a gallon of fluid, close the lid, pressurize, wait for the fluid to flow into the tire, then open the lid (carefully) and refill. The great part about this is that when you pull off the lid, excess air in the tire will bleed out. I put 3 gallons, probably around 20 lbs, into each tire.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsize.jpg

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 19, 2012 - 08:32 PM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#1002 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 20, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Ryan and I started taking stock of the old rotten mower decks that are accumulating around the Farm. Decided that one was savable and would be a good look with his tractor at the summer show.

Hit the bottom side with the sand blaster and looked for damage. Found some trouble and abuse, but I hope it's savable for him. Bearings sound "ok" so far. Don't expect it to see much (if any) use, so it's alright for now.

If I ever put one of these tractors into mowing duties, I think a Fabbed deck will be in order as the pressed steel just won't hold up much longer.

#1003 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 07:46 AM

Gonna start building a trailer today. Its going to have a special feature to hook-up a chair in it. My mother in law lives with us and shes only patially mobile. She can walk with the help of a walker but she cannot go in the yard as the walker dont work on grass. She wants to help with the gardening and enjoy the flowers weve planted for her.
  • MH81 said thank you

#1004 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Put a new bearing in the PTO Clutch of my 318. Here is a tip by the way. My dad was going to Des Moines so said he would pick up the new bearing. We though a bearing warehouse would be cheaper than the John Deere Dealer. Well they did not have the bearing in stock and it would take two weeks to get it. By the way they wanted $29.00 for it.
So Dad went to the John deere Dealer and they wanted $21.00 for the bearing.
When Dad layed the bearing on the counter the parts man told him he would have to go to a bearing warehouse.
But He looked it up and said "Your making a liar of me" that bearing is in be fische.
I've been selling new clutches when a bearing would have been the fix"
So it pays to ask them to check!

#1005 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 22, 2012 - 12:27 PM

So far:

1. Got the 3-pt on the 1886 working, and put a Brinly cultivator on it using the 3-pt to sleeve hitch adapter.
2. Pulled the Haban Sickle-Mo off of the G10.
3. Mounted the McKissic chipper/shredder on the G10,
4. Mounted a round-back tiller on the 1256 w/Ags.

After I get finished tilling the neighbor's garden, I'll pull the tiller off the 1256, and replace it with the Haban Sickle-Mo.

Edited by OldBuzzard, May 22, 2012 - 12:28 PM.

• hatedge said thank you