#961 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Well yesterday I finished my 1928 Wallas 20/30. I had a water leak in the motor and have tried everything in the book to stop it with no luck. So I had to pull the sleeves and replace the sleeve seals. Not a very fun or easy job. You leave the motor in the tractor and work in 4 small side cover holes to take the rods out. I got them all replaced and now it is back together. When I got done I had my brother in law pull me around to make sure I got oil pumping through out the motor. Kind of hard to do with a hand crank. After we pulled it for a while I turned the fuel on and it started in about 10 feet. My brother in law could not believe it started that easy after I had it all apart. He is not a mechanic. I told him it had to, I didn't have any parts left over.
Now I can start on my next project of restoring a Allis B10.

#962 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 08:44 PM

GE 059.JPG Did some work to the "scrap yard" MF12 today. A few days ago I was checking on some ATV tires for one of my tractors. They didn't have any I wanted, but when I gave them my size they said, "hey, we have a pair of turf tires that size we'd like to get out of here....$30.00 total?" So I bought them. Put them on today, they are actually the same size as the old Goodyears, rather than "shrunk in the wash" like so many tires seem to be these days. After I installed them, I put water in ( no freezeing here for the next nine months) and then went mowing. The old Goodyears are on the left, the new turfs are on the right.

#963 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 15, 2012 - 11:44 PM

After all the road time & unloading, I didn't have a lot of time, but spent some working on the Sears 725. Put the new reversing cable on and adjusted it up. Also corrected a pullstarter problem. Now I need to rebuild the carb ( runs for about a minute and a half, then dies.)

#964 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • Member No: 9349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 18, 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi all, well today I did some fine touch up on the paint, and painted the box/scraper/ripper RED and hooked it back up to the 3point. Yesterday I changed the Oil in the hydro/trans, could not figure out why it went faster in reverse than in forward so I adjusted the linkage and all is better now. It was not pulling the lever on the transaxle all the way to full speed.. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do about the seat! Maybe I will try to find some place close that might have one. I was thinking about just putting a metal / painted one on her and get away from the plastic that always goes bad, I wont be using her for hours and I think I have enough padding on my butt...hahaha... we will see... I will go tomorrow and see what I can find..

#965 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 06:38 AM

Worked on the 120 a bit. Removed the original tires from the front wheels, power washed them and got them ready for paint. I am going to prime and paint the inside surface and mount the tire before I paint the wheels outer to avoid scratches. I am repainting it bit by bit and as time allows.

#966 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:05 PM

Tore the mower deck torn apart today, it didnt like the hammer I found in the grass. Broke the spindle mounts and dropped the blade down to do some excavation in the yard. Figured my son left it there last fall, its not a hammer I have used in a long time.

#967 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:09 PM

Tore the mower deck torn apart today, it didnt like the hammer I found in the grass. Broke the spindle mounts and dropped the blade down to do some excavation in the yard. Figured my son left it there last fall, its not a hammer I have used in a long time.

Those decks just don't get along with hammers for some reason!

#968 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Those decks just don't get along with hammers for some reason!

It was about dark when I hit it didnt know what it was til this morning, it was thrown about 30 foot away. I thought, THE JOYS OF FATHERHOOD.
  • KennyP said thank you

#969 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 21, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Did some more work this afternoon and ended up removing the hood supports and hinges and hit them with the power washer in prep for paint. I also picked up a JD 10 cart to add to the collection. :thumbs:

#970 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:44 PM

Started repairing the hood of my JD318...cracked the front left corner. The 318 is a great tractor, but no match for an oak tree!

#971 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:49 PM

Started repairing the hood of my JD318...cracked the front left corner. The 318 is a great tractor, but no match for an oak tree!

I hate when that happens. good luck on your repair.

#972 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted April 22, 2012 - 06:55 PM

Painted the dash tower for the 314! Next, get the frame ready for paint. ~~ Lowell

#973 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 08:37 AM

The deck drive belt on the GT5000 gave up while mowing yesterday, I was surprised it made it all the way through last year. I pulled the deck off the GT5000, going to replace the belt, sharpen the blade and clean the deck and repaint the underside. I will be pulling the gt5000 into the shop to replace it's blown head gasket this week hopefully.

#974 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:11 PM

Introduced myself to the mower deck, tried to make nice with the seatpan and stopped by here to Thank the 'olcowhand'.

#975 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,277 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted April 23, 2012 - 11:49 PM

Fought with Dads carb for 2 hrs. Never did get it to quit leaking. Decided that we needed to change the float, needle & seat again. Either those items or it has a cracked body that I can't see or find. If it still leaks after all that, it WILL have a crack or two.

Moved on from the Custom to the Suburban. Did a little shimming on the main steering gear (no sign it's ever been lubed since 63), put the tire chains on it, replaced the homemade toplink with an OEM Sears and finished the plow setup,

All this done in Dads garage in relative comfort in spite of the fact that it's only 34 F outside. This was made possible by the guy across town who threw away a Kerosun heater with a full tank of fuel last night. Near as I can tell, it was thrown away because of 2 dead C cells (couldn't get it to light).