wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:05 PM

No, it was a gear tranny, the Scrap Massey is a hydro.
And to the both of ya... I'm not that old.

You're old enough to be Ryan's dad LOL.

#947 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm biologically old enough to be YOUR dad too. Whatever happened to respect for your elders? :rofl2:
  • tinner, Texas Deere and Horse and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#948 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:05 PM

compleat.jpg hood.jpg without hood.jpg

Just a little Wheel Horse Suburban 551 I got for my son when he gets a little older, This is my first garden tractor restore and i had no idea what i was in for, it took me 8 hours to get to this point couldn't get the steering wheel off. I have painted tractors but this is my first attempt at making one new again, I have a few others I want to do but are a little more involved, I figured this would be a good practice run.
I finally got the steering wheel off after braking the tip of the punch off in the role pin hole, got the front wheels off, drag link, and steering gear. The pivot bolt is frozen in the front axle and that is as far as i got today, so before i went in the house i emptied a can of PB Blaster on the rest of the parts i need to get off, I hope that helps tomorrow.
I'm finding it hard to focus on the tear down, I kept looking at the hood and wanting to get started on fixing that up, at one point i started hammering out the dents and dings and was able to save the embossed Wheel Horse emblem. I put that down and got back to the tear down, there was a few dings close to the emblem i was worried about but i got them out with no problem, with that off my mind i was able to put it down.
There isn't much sheet metal on this tractor but that is where most of the work is going to be, but I'm really good at taking body parts you can't get any more and making them like new again, so the hood will be like a brand spanking new one when I'm done with it. All and all I'm finding it very relaxing and so far I'm enjoying it, I can't wait to see the finished result.
  • MH81 said thank you

#949 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 09:41 PM

316k running a bit rough, so I sprung for a new set of points. The old ones were set about .016, set these at .020. Runs smoother and I don't need to use the choke to start now. Welded the broken muffler hanger after it had annoyed me enough with the constant rubbing on the grill cowl.

I need to pick up a new deck belt before this one goes.

#950 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Called one of mine a few names that I cant mention here and then i talked realllllll sweet to it. It like the sweet talk better, and finally gave up the hub.

#951 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:15 AM

Turned the points on my cultivator so the pointy bits are down. It could really use new ones, but the only place I've found them isn't open on weekends, so it's going to have to wait until I get a day off during the week.

Anyway, I broke two of the old bolts and had to grind one off, but managed to save 7 out of ten of the old bolts and nuts with the square heads. Not bad considering it's age.

Also, there seems to be shortage of high-grade 7/16 bolts and nuts in the Red River Valley.

#952 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 08:40 AM

Reverend, I've found one of the best places to get nuts and bolts are the local Cat dealer. They're American made..
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

#953 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted April 01, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Reverend, I've found one of the best places to get nuts and bolts are the local Cat dealer. They're American made..

Aren't all the high grade ones made in either the US or Canada? Asia seems to have a tolerance for grade 3 or lower. Not sure what they are supposed to good for.

The Cat dealer is a good tip. I'm there at least once a week picking up forklift parts anyway, so I think I'll pick up an assortment of the sizes I need most...7/16 and 3/8...along with nuts and washers. It's funny. I tried to buy some stuff from work, but it was such a hassle because we don't have a retail location that I just gave up.

#954 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted April 08, 2012 - 07:04 AM

Yesterday was a fine tractor day. Started out changing the oil, then greased and checked other fluids, cleaned air pre-filter on the 7016. Got the blades sharpened on the mower deck, greased the spindles, mounted the deck, remembered that I need to get a new belt, current one is close to dead. Went to start the tractor back up and had a low battery. Jump started and checked, yep not charging, ended up pulling the regulator and cleaning the points. Reassembled and got 13+volts now when running. All in all a good tractor day!

#955 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • Member No: 9349
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 09, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Well I replaced the main fuel line from the tank to the filter, I guess after 36 years that piece of hose needed to be replaced! I bet you that this new hose dont last that long..... Got out the box scraper, ripper, blade and mounted it back on the 3 point hitch.. Guess I have to go to the next forum to say what I did then....

#956 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Today I picked up the blue paint and some glazing putty, started working on the fenders and body parts. What color should I paint the box scraper? The same blue as the tractor?

#957 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Turned the points on my cultivator so the pointy bits are down. It could really use new ones, but the only place I've found them isn't open on weekends, so it's going to have to wait until I get a day off during the week.

Anyway, I broke two of the old bolts and had to grind one off, but managed to save 7 out of ten of the old bolts and nuts with the square heads. Not bad considering it's age.

Also, there seems to be shortage of high-grade 7/16 bolts and nuts in the Red River Valley.

I have found that head bolts that I used off of a ford engine head work great, 7/16 and hard as heck. I use them on my box scraper and have never bent one of them.. Get er dun!

#958 TerryD OFFLINE  

TerryD

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted April 10, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Last night I put on a new set of Gator blades and cut the lawn. WOW! I'm impressed. Before, the discharge would only throw the clippings out about 12". Now they are going out about 3' and up about 2', the bonus is that they are 1/3 the length before so they should breakdown fairly quickly. The plus is no more windrows!! Sadly, I threw the deck belt in the process. While putting it back on I noticed that the outer spindles on both sides sounded rough.

Tonight I started tearing the deck apart to replace bearings, I couldn't control myself while at the local hardware store picking up new bolts so I sprung for a couple rattle cans of JD Yellow. Looks like it's going to be a total spindle rebuild for all three spindles and shiney paint to boot. :dancingbanana:

#959 kitepilot OFFLINE  

kitepilot
  • 0 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 06:54 PM

Well today I worked on new paint, I am down to just a bit of frame in the front and final coat on the wheels. I pulled the deck and will be working on rebuild on it next week. She is starting to get her rebirth, I am not a purist but I kept with the original colors but I did not work the tin to the point of a new or better than new finish, but I did use some saning putty (glazing putty) on some scratches and other nicks, but she did not have any serious dents which was fine by me. My hat is off to you guys that can take a pile of rust and turn it into a better than new rig. Well I guess the only thing I need to do is find one that is being scraped out so I can get some parts. She is looking pretty good though, One trick I have is if I can get the right color I use epoxy paint it really holds up good, you can get a real hard finish without having to spend lots of money for a two part paint like an automotive paint. Well Monday it is a bit of touch up and start putting the tin back together. Get er dun...

#960 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 14, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Was tilling with my Allis 620 attached to my modified Massey MF4250 tiller. Went to shut the rear pto down & it kept going, but not full speed, and with a squealing/growling going on. Took the tunnel cover plate off & couldn't see the problem. I thought it was the coasting bearing, so took the shaft/clutch out. It was the coupler hub on the differential pto shaft. The bolt that holds the hub to the shaft had backed out till it hit the bolt in the end of the clutch shaft. Boogered the threads in the diff's shaft, so tapped them clean, then installed a new bolt with blue Loctite to prevent this happening again. All is working smooth as silk again. But ordering a new flex plate driveshaft coupler from Bob's Lawn & Garden, as mind was pushed hard & is cracked. Good enough to last fine until I get a replacement.