#931 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted March 14, 2012 - 08:00 PM

This evening after supper I went out and drained all the gear cases and refilled with fresh oil and topped of the transmission on the Economy King. I took off the belly weights seeing as though it looks like winter is gone, and then greased all the zerks. I was going to replace the oil in the engine but I found out that I am a little short on engine oil. I still need to wash, touchup the paint on it, and replace the left rear hub.

#932 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I was thinking about selling my JD5400 and downsizing to a smaller more compact tractor. But after pricing the smaller tractors with cab, loader, 4x4 and a snowblower and front quick tach blade and front forks. I said forget it. WOW, they want more for a small one than my big one is worth with only 1000 hours with all the attachments. I love my bigger tractor and it does a wonderful job in the snow so it looks like I will be hanging on to it after all, ha,ha.

Attached Thumbnails

• badersandd&G.jpg

#933 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:30 PM

After a late birthday dinner for my girls, Dad and I got a half hour to look over the 725 Suburban. Large mouse nest under the tin & no spark. Cleaned the points, shined the magnet and got a real weak spark. Going to try to get a condenser in it this week some evening. Still need to find a pull starter for it.

#934 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 18, 2012 - 09:52 PM

I started the weekend by getting the 317 running, hadn't been run for 3 months. Charged the battery and fired her up. Took her to the garage to put the tiller on her. Went to the garden and tilled it up, even though it's kinda wet still. Going to have to fix the hydro drive shaft, she shaking the 317 hard. Today I went to mow and the WH Auto14 wouldn't turn over, charged the batt., but no start. cleaned the calbe ends, both ends of each cable and away she went. Went to the front lawn and made half way around the first paas and hit a piece of broken concrete in the ditch, don't know where it came from. I looked back and wasn't mowing the grass in the center of the deck. Saw the blade lieing next to the piece of concrete. Back to the garage and remowed the deck to find the retaining bolt for the blade broken off. I had another set of spindles that I had rebuilt already on the shelf. Grabbed one of them and installed it on the deck. Back mowing in about an hour. Got a lot of stuff done and created a lot more repair work in the process. :wallbanging: :laughingteeth:

#935 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 06:45 AM

Took the wheels off the 2nd 70 that I bought in January & brought them to the shop for repaint & new tires.

HPIM2368 (Custom).JPG

Want to get them back on so I can move it around easier until refurb time next Winter. ~~ Lowell

#936 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Spent a little time saturday trying to get the LGT 145 to run, It will start at an idle but wont run at anything more than an Idle, and it is shaking very bad.

Going to start looking at the ignition system before I dig any deeper.

#937 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted March 19, 2012 - 05:46 PM

Another day with above average temps in our neck of the woods. So I took the chains and the snowcaster off of my Bolens 800. With the chains removed, I put the toolbox and fenders back on the tractor. When the chains are on, there is not much clearance between the fenders and the chains, so I feel better taking the fenders off. It's a very easy job and gives me peace of mind. I also took the front tires from the 900 to the tire shop. The one had gone flat but since it looked to be original, it was time for a replacement. The owner had given me prices last week but didn't have any of the Carlisle tires in stock. He had the off brand but since we hope to restore the 900, I decided to wait until he could get them in,which will be sometime tomorrow. So it won't be much of a wait.

#938 wrbourget OFFLINE  

wrbourget

• Member No: 6649
  • 28 Thanks
  • 138 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Took the 49 blower & cab off the 314 today:

Put them in the back shed until next Fall:

Lowell

I thought i was the only person on the planet to have that trailer I have never seen another one like it till today.

#939 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Removed the 42 blade from the RF 110, greased it up, adjusted the variator/clutch/brake assembly, replaced the bolt the holds the bottom of the starter/generator, sharpened the blades, reinstalled the deck and mowed the yard.

Posted Image

#940 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted March 23, 2012 - 09:09 PM

I sandblasted the rims off the other JD 70 I bought in January. Not ready to do the refurb, but want to paint the wheels & mount new tires so I can move it easier! ~~ Lowell

#941 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted March 26, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yesterday I installed the wheel weights I got from Daniel on my LGT 165, I also changed it's oil, and took the blade mounts off and got the sleeve hitch ready for gardening.

The 165 now has loaded tires plus 110 lbs of wheel weights, add my ballast and it should pull about anything I need it too.

#942 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,317 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Started doing a rebuid on the K-44 mowing deck for my Case 446. What a pain in the you-know-what. I think this deck has been stored outside beside a barn untouched for a LONG time. The sheet metal is in good shape, no major dents or rust-outs, its pulleys/mandrels were froze-had to cut them off to do anything. Got new pulleys ordered, bought some complete mandrel/hub assemblies minus the pulleys from Joe's (thanks Joe) bought new bearings from IBT. It will work like new when I am done!

Edited by JBBR, March 29, 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#943 MF10Ryan OFFLINE  

MF10Ryan

• Contributor
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 7917
  • 244 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hey Guys, today we (Dad and I) Switched the transmission in my MF10.

The old one had continued to leak some oil even with the repair last fall (see Tractor of the month for March 2012 :blush2: ) and Dad bought a donor MF 12 with a good tranny on it.

The part that got me the most was there's always that one really stuck bolt that you can't get with a Ratchet, and a wrench can't do the job... so I managed to cover it and the side of a BELT (accidentally) with Penetration oil... If I heard "Darn Kids" one more time today... :angry:

So, we got it done... and geez it was HEAVY!!! I've never heard my "Old Man" make so many Grunting noises... and I was doing the same thing while we were moving it!

As I said above, the transmission I "Borrowed", came off of a Variable Speed Massey Ferguson 12, And my Tractor's "Butt" is now Shiny... LOL It's seen less weather than the old one.

I had to test drive it afterwards ( :) ), the shifter feels new and is easier to get in gear.

So that's what we did today on my Massey Ferguson 10. Now stops on a Dime and wow does it go FAST!

~Ryan.

#944 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 06:35 PM

The donor wasn't a tractor of the month winner was it?

I am glad you got it going and no longer have an excuse to not attend a plow day.

As for your "old man" I hope he didn't pull anything today LOL.
  • MH81 said thank you

#945 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted March 31, 2012 - 07:02 PM

The donor wasn't a tractor of the month winner was it?

I am glad you got it going and no longer have an excuse to not attend a plow day.

As for your "old man" I hope he didn't pull anything today LOL.

No, it was a gear tranny, the Scrap Massey is a hydro.
And to the both of ya... I'm not that old.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you