• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 18, 2012 - 08:42 PM

yep, there's the problem..... loose worn out throttle shaft.

The Wisconsin TJD twin on my Bush Hog JBI has the same issue. One of these days I need to get a throttle shaft kit for it also.

#902 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Today I changes the oil, replaced the battery, cleaned the air filter, checked the tires air pressures and checked the Hydro oil level, in my WH Auto14. I needed to do this 2 weeks ago before I mowed the yard for the first time this year.

#903 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted February 19, 2012 - 06:38 PM

Was looking for the numbers on the flywheel cover on the Briggs engine I recently picked up...nothing visiable ? Got the electric start belt and pully off, screen off, cover off, etc, wiped it clean...still no numbers...posted my ignorance under mechanical forum :confuse: bolens1000 said check along the air-cleaner area of the cover...
Went back out after warming up and put the wire wheel to the cover all the way around, black cheap paint came off real easy, the original layer underneath looks like Bolens enamal brown much tougher...still no numbers :wallbanging: Am I a complete "Dooff"? Where are my numbers? Bolens1000 is offline right now, so I just had to vent a little, so I'm posting here...From physical size and the fact that it came as a spare to the Bolens I got in Buffalo from Mark last weekend I'm guessing this is a 6-8 HP from the mid 60's. I checked the drive end of the crank and it is exactly the size of my Panzer drive pully. YEH :dancingbanana: But I was hoping to order gaskets, seals etc. before tearing it all apart...

Bruce Dorsi gave me some other places to look, just too darn cold tonight, these old fingers are FROZE,
I'll give it another go on Monday, after work.

Edited by jpackard56, February 19, 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#904 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 22, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Since the sun is out, the birds are chirping, and the temperature is in the 50s, I decided to work on replacing a fuel tank on CloudBurst III (a Bolens 1256). The old one had rusted through, and I replaced it with a plastic one.

Then, I decided to check out the snowcaster that is mounted on CloudBurst IV (another 1256). It quit working during the last snow fall, and I figured that the shear pin went. Unfortunately, it wasn't the shear pin but a needle bearing, and the gearbox housing got toasted as well. Looks like that 'caster is gonna be a 'parts' one now :mecry:

Anyway I got it dismounted, and ready for the front blade if necessary. I came close to mounting the Haban Sickle-Mo on it since that's what that tractor is going to be dedicated to this summer, but figured it I did that I would guarantee another snow.

#905 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted February 23, 2012 - 07:14 PM

Some of this was yesterday, but I didn't have pics for you guys. Sorry! Went to the local pawn shop and found a nice small drill press.
Image003.jpg
$50 for it. Used it and a 2" hole saw to cut for the swivel ends on the GTV 3-PT. Got them welded in.
Image005.jpg Image004.jpg
While I had the welder out, I took off the right tire and welded the frame crack I had.
Image007.jpg
The red outline(on right) is where I added a bit more tack weld for now. Hopefully that fixed that.

#906 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 24, 2012 - 12:04 PM

014.JPG

All I did was fire up the 318 in dad's barn yesterday after photographing the MM sleeve hitch. I let it run for a few minutes just to hear it. 0 seat time for snowblowing this year with it

#907 dangeroustoys56 OFFLINE  

dangeroustoys56

• Member No: 8507
  • 18 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Nothing much happening in the shed lately - tons of projects to work on and no time actually - my '90 Task force still sits like in my av picture , brot home 2 parts tractors about a week ago , have multiple mod and stock tractor builds in progress - need to actually finish one before starting another....

#908 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 06:50 PM

I switched from GT's to full size tractors today. I have a 1929 Wallas 20/30 that has been leaking water into the oil for the last few years. I have tried everything but the sleeve seals so I decided to pull the sleeves and replace the seals. Not a fun job as you have to unhook the rods through these little side holes. I guess it is better than pulling the whole motor. I got 2 of them out and can't see any problem with the seals yet. I hope one of the other 2 are bad or I will still not no why it is leaking.
I took pictures but don't see that little film strip on this new site so I am not sure how to do it. Oh well.
Duh! look at the bottom of the page.

Attached Thumbnails

• P2250087.jpg
  • P2250088.jpg

#909 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,323 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 25, 2012 - 07:04 PM

Repaired the last of the brackets for the Sears SS10 and put them on. Then I put the starter bracket and starter on the engine. After that, I stared at the tractor for a good 3 minutes trying to figure out if I wanted to sweep the 3" of snow off it and install the engine in a blizzard.

Answer: no.

Maybe tomorrow :rolleyes:

#910 antiquetractors OFFLINE  

antiquetractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6720
  • 279 Thanks
  • 506 posts

Posted February 26, 2012 - 03:10 PM

I took the snow blade off my 58' Ride a Matic and put the mower deck back on. Now if Spring would get here I would do the same thing to my john deere 112.

#911 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Drove down to the MI/IN state line on Wednesday and picked up a 1976 Sears SS16, Roto-Spade and front plow. 250 Miles of snow, freezing rain, sleet and hard rain. Tractor was less than what was expected but after 250 hard miles I bought it anyway. Supposed to have ran a couple of years ago but PO included parts he had bought to make it run in 1996. A spare Onan engine came with the tractor along with a new OEM carb, fuel pump, points and condensor for the spare engine. It is missing the intake manifold though.

I really wanted the Roto-Spade more than the tractor since it will work on a couple of the other Sears tractors we own and the cheapest one I could find around here was $350 for just it.

Yesterday I took the tractor off the trailer and put it on the work table. Made up a parts list to get it running and I'll go from there. Plans are to make it a worker for this year and maybe refurbish it next winter.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-03-01 Sears Tractor _001.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Sears Tractor _003.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Sears Tractor _021.jpg
  • 2011-03-01 Sears Roto-spade_003.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Sears Front Plow_001.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Onan Engine_001.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Onan Engine_006.jpg
  • 2012-03-01 Sears Three Point.JPG

Edited by GTTinkerer, March 02, 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#912 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:27 PM

Took advantage of the nice weather this afternoon and tore into the Ingersoll 220 to try and find where the hydraulic leak was. I discovered that the crimped sleeve on the high pressure hose from the pump manifold to the control valve has slowly failed over time. The good news is I found at least 3 suppliers online who have it...the bad news is a new one will run about $70!

#913 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:46 PM

Worked on my John Deere F935 "Front Mower" yesterday & some more today. The left drive axle has been leaking fluid for a year now, but got worse. Time to fix before mowing season hits, which isn't far away. Seal won't cross, so ordered from John Deere. The axle bearing outer race was cracked all the way across, so I'll pick that up local tomorrow.

DSC00749.JPG
DSC00746.JPG
DSC00747.JPG

Then before storms approached, I did some rewiring work on my Allis 716. Someone had cut out the charge diode & replaced it with a fuse holder. They were running straight AC back to the battery this way! No wonder the battery was shot! New diode is in & just a few connections to make, then try her out.

DSC00748.JPG

#914 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Finished fitting the blade on the 70I today, still need to paint it "Construction Yellow"!

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2329 (Custom).JPG

#915 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted March 02, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Got the GTV down to the shop today. Worked on getting the exhaust loosened up to remove. I will have to build a complete new exhaust for it during the refurbish (no notched hood). She drove herself down there, as if anticipating the make over.