• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 10, 2011 - 05:21 PM

Worked on the blade for the LGT 165 some more. Thought I was going to have to shorten the rod for rotation, but I turned my handle instead. All works like it should.

#737 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,594 posts

Posted September 11, 2011 - 02:23 AM

Spent the evening working with Dad and Ryan finishing getting the Pacer running. This has been kind of a challenge, but she's a runner. Good oil pressure, sounds decent too. It had quite a miss until I took out the Delco plugs and put in Champion. Pained me to do it as I have a negative history with the Crapion plugs, but the Continentals do love them. Weird.

Took it for several victory laps around the garage working out the bugs. This is going to be a donor for another tractor in need of a transplant, think we have a winner.

#738 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 04:41 AM

I worked on the blade more yesterday. Had to cut 5 of the 6 bolts holding the cutting edge. Got new ones, cleaned most of the accumulated dirt and rust out and reset the cutting edge and skids. I am going to have to rework the lower edge of the blade one of these days and get a new cutting edge. It has been worn real bad down there, bottom side of the angle iron is half worn away. But it is still usable as it is. Tried the blade on a pile of dirt I have. Gonna have to get some ballast added at the rear, load tires and some type of wheel weights. Need to pick up some replacement chain for some of the links for the tire chains.

#739 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted September 12, 2011 - 05:18 PM

Took some measurements of the Sears 3-point lift handle to compare to the homemade(PO mod). shouldn't be to hard to make them similar. Removed my 48" side gate and installed a 5'6" one. Now I can get the Cub mower to the front with out going around the block. It's a 48" cut, but the deck needs 60" for clearance through a gate. Have that covered nicely.

P.S. I now have about 5 1/2' of 2 3/8" pipe. Might make a nice trailer hitch tongue for my soon the be modded one.

#740 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Discovered that the float is sticking after I saw gas dripping out of the air cleaner on the 120. Ran to Napa, ordered a rebuild kit for the Walbro cab and picked up carb cleaner and engine cleaner. It seams that the Seafoam in the gas has removed all of the old varnish in the carb and caused this latest obstacle... :( :(

#741 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 06:31 PM

Preparing for my local show on Oct 1st. So got the Bush Hog T-63 fired up & she's running fine. Then I needed to get at the original condition JBI, which I had to more the Allis 720 & Massey "2055" out in order to get at it. The Allis fired right up, but the Massey has some weird wiring problem, possibly all in the key switch. She fired once, then went "no spark". The headlights stay on no matter the key switch position & sometimes the starter stays kicked in. So Allis pulled the Massey out of the way. Then Had to dress the points on the JB's Briggs. She's running great now too, but may need to tube a front tire if it goes down too fast. Gotta get that switch out of the Massey to see what's up with it. That's for another day though.

#742 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:39 PM

I was mowing the day before yesterday when I lunched the drive belt on my newly acquired Sears Suburban 16/6. It was pretty cracked and I knew it was just a matter of time until it broke.
Today, I got the new belt at tractor supply, got home and started putting it on. In the process, I got to thinking about the stiff clutch, so decided to look into it while the belt was off. The suburban twins have a tendency to wear the pivot shaft making the clutch/brake hard to depress. The shaft itself wasn't actually worn, but the hole in the frame it goes through was. I decided to drill out the hole and add a bronze bushing. It's a 1/2" hole, I drilled it out to 5/8" and inserted the bushing, drilled and tapped a hole and added a grease zerk, then put everything back together. Works smooth as silk now, I just hope the bronze holds up to the use. If not, it'll be easy to pop out the worn bushing and insert a new one. I'll see how it works in the long run, I may do this to my 19.9 GT as well. Sorry, no pics. I was in "get it done before dark mode".

Edited by Gibby, September 16, 2011 - 03:33 PM.
Corrected spelling.

#743 brokenfeather OFFLINE  

brokenfeather

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6294
  • 24 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 10:54 PM

Bought a Wards walk behind with lots of equipment. Hope this counts. Now I will have some to list here from time to time.

#744 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Did a lot of work on a couple tractors, but didn't accomplish a lot! :wallbanging:
The original condition Bush Hog JBI had the throttle cable ran wrong since I got it. So I took it completely out to straighten housing & wire. Got it working smooth as silk & reinstalled it. BUT forgot to secure it under the body & the hydro fan caught it when I went to crank it over. It was mangled! I managed to get it working decent, but now I'll eventually need to buy new cable & do it RIGHT this time!:wallbanging::wallbanging::wallbanging:
My Massey 2050 had issues. Yesterday evening I got the wiring repaired, so today I tackled the surging. Found sediment in the carb, so cleaned it well. All passages clean! Still surges at slow speeds!:wallbanging: Oh well, it runs super on top, so calling it enough for today. Seems today is not MY day to wrench.
The coffee is good though, so time to relax a bit!:D

#745 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Know what you mean Daniel, I did a lot today too but seems like I got little accomplished. That's ok though, being retarded, I mean retired, that'll give me something to do next week or week after next week or..........

#746 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:26 AM

Saturday I chased some wiring problems but got them sorted out on Cub 1210, also got the pto to work, checked out the pulleys and spindles on the deck gave the spindles some grease. Put the deck on and and gave it a test. Worked pretty good, Going to go through the deck and lift this winter and replace the bolts to get the slop out.

#747 worntires OFFLINE  

worntires

• Member No: 6383
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted September 19, 2011 - 11:05 AM

popped a new battery in the 316 and gave it a bath. Hasn't looked so nice in a while.

#748 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 07:49 PM

The Sears SS14 I got recently had replacement tie rods, sort of. The "tie rods" were .25" x 1.5" flat stock. They worked, but no adjustment without drilling new holes. Of course, they were the wrong length and it was toed out a bit. I ordered tie rods off Ebay the other day and when I got home from work tonight, they were waiting for me. After a few minutes of squeezing my ham hands up under the tractor, the actual tie rods were installed and adjusted. Steers just like a tractor now!

#749 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 08:01 PM

Gibby, glad you got the SS14 all set up and ready to go to work. Nothing worse that something that will not go where you want it to.

#750 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted September 22, 2011 - 11:29 PM

Dang, somebody put go kart parts on your Sears. Well, you replaced them right so should be good to go now. Today was bondo and paint day on my Panzer restoration. Got a build thread going on it, but too stinkin tired to go take pictures. The sandblaster was a day late so I had to get them after work and they'd already spent a day out in humid air, so I busted butt to get all the stuff smoothed and primed before bed. Now I can rest easy that they're not turning into rust - they were halfway there already.