• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 05:26 PM

With the big tractor show coming this weekend, I would have thought this thread would be going strong.

#677 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Worked a little on my D4-10 again tonight, but pretty tired, so quit to come in for a shower & relaxation. I got the PTO backing plate mounted, the mule drive installed, plus the belly "scissor-lift" bolted in. Mostly I spent my time looking for stuff I have put in safe places. Safe because you can't lose what you can't find! :wallbanging:

#678 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:06 AM

Mostly I spent my time looking for stuff I have put in safe places. Safe because you can't lose what you can't find! :wallbanging:

I know that situation VERY well. Bought a new PTO belt for the Ford cause I couldn't find where I put the old one. Next day, it showed up. I have a spare now. Hope to 'play' with the tractors this weekend.

#679 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Because of the hospital bills cutting into the money for tractors, I am going to have let
the JBI set awhile. I am going to repower the MF14. I have a Kohler K482,532,or582 to put in it. No decal on motor, so will have to pull head & check bore size to find hp.
Because the MF14 has a really strong 3pt & hydro , it will be more useful for moving
firewood & other things. Also it will cost very little money to do because the Kohler wasn't smoking when I saw it running on the PO's log splitter. All the Kohler needs is
an oil pick-up & pan gasket & some pan bolts. It may take a few to get thru the repower.:beer:My heart doc. says I can have 2 beers per day & it won't affect the medicine I take.

#680 fishman OFFLINE  

fishman

• Member No: 5368
  • 19 Thanks
  • 130 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:42 PM

Got a grill for it and put it on for now still need to clean & repaint. Anyone know on a 78 Jd 312 what color it should be I'm thinking black.

#681 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Got a grill for it and put it on for now still need to clean & repaint. Anyone know on a 78 Jd 312 what color it should be I'm thinking black.

Satin black.

#682 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Got the clutch back on the JD 68 and drove it for the first time. Kinda like a go-cart, except you sit up higher. It surprised me by starting so easily, maybe 2nd or 3rd revolution. Tranny and chain drive are nice and quiet, so all is well there.
Took the rear PTO brackets off the Ford to send to Skyrydr2 (Keith). These will be used to make up a parts list for a 3 point hitch

#683 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Took the rear wheels off the 314 to clean and paint the brake drums. While I had the wheels off I decided to clean up the tires. It may sound silly to wash tires but they were brown with mud that must have been on there for years. The area between the treads was a mess with it. I scrubbed at it with a brush and most of it came off.
I am also cleaning up the sleeve hitch to get it ready to install. It is homemade and pretty crude. When the slot was cut in the lift link for the float function it was rough and the pin used to stick when it should have moved along the slot. I spent about 15 minutes with a file and have it working smoothly now.

#684 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 01:12 PM

Fixed 3 tires on the 68 for bead leaks, also 1 on the Ford. Finally got the engine tins installed on the Onan in the GTV/16. Had a major water line break up the street from me middle of the week. Had a mix of fine sand and clay in the street(slipped in it the other day, that clay is slick). Shoveled and swept into a pile, hooked the trailer to the JD 68 and loaded that mess. Took it out back where the bad crack was due to drought and filled some of it. Figured the fine stuff would filter down with the next rain. Adjusted the carb on the 68 some more, was surging some. Much better now.

#685 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Saturday morning I put tubes in both front tires on the cub.

#686 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Finally unloaded the 1971 JD 120 that I purchased on Tuesday. The oil looked great so I changed the spark plug, greased the zerks I could find, added gas and some Seafoam to the tank, leveled the deck and mowed the lawn. After the lawn was done I changed the points and condenser and tried to fine-tune the carb.

#687 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:13 PM

Just worked a bit on my PTO clutch that goes on my Bush Hog D4-10.

#688 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 10:32 PM

I think i finally tracked down the D-160s problem, to a worn throttle shaft. I think I will change out the DD13 with a Newer Nikki carb. There are a few on Ebay now for a vry good price.

#689 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 04:49 PM

Did a bit of work on the 120 and the 110.

The 120 got new fuel lines, re-gapped the points, installed a new air filter and adjusted the carb. Once that was done I powerwashed it and removed the years of grime that had accumulated on it.

The 110 is one step closer to being back together. Drained the gear lube from the new-to-me used transaxle and filled it fresh stuff. I also powerwashed the rear wheels and the fenders which were removed to remove the bad transaxle. Now I am seriously considering a repaint while it is partially torn down. Can't make up my mind on it.

#690 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,685 posts

Posted August 27, 2011 - 06:07 PM

Installed the gauge wheels on the Cub mowing deck, tore down the MTD Ranch King. The right deck spindle decided to blow a bearing. Took out the shaft, so I ordered a new spindle assy.