caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 20, 2011 - 11:27 PM

Worked some more on the Commando 6 "survivor" restoration today. I managed to repair the pivot pin for the front axle by welding up the groove that was worn into the front end of it then grinding / filing it down to the original diameter. I also repaired one of the ball joints from the tie rods that had become dislodged. To finish off the day I shot some paint on the frame rails where I'd filled in the holes from the engine swap(s) that the PO's had done. Hopefully I'll get some more tinker time tomorrow, maybe install the engine and get the choke and throttle cables installed. I still need to find an ignition switch for it.

#542 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Continuing to work on the 314 engine and other issues. I have been taking advantage of the down time to clean and paint some of the rusty bits. I got the engine bay area of the frame painted today. I used my electrolysis tank to de-rust the hitch plate. 24hrs in the tank and after running over it with a wire wheel to remove the loose paint this is what it looked like. It's a pretty painless way to remove rust. Hitch plate1.jpg

#543 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:21 PM

Continuing to work on the 314 engine and other issues. I have been taking advantage of the down time to clean and paint some of the rusty bits. I got the engine bay area of the frame painted today. I used my electrolysis tank to de-rust the hitch plate. 24hrs in the tank and after running over it with a wire wheel to remove the loose paint this is what it looked like. It's a pretty painless way to remove rust. [ATTACH=CONFIG]14912[/ATTACH]

Looks brand new. Electrolysis is a better idea than sliced bread.

#544 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Got a new "Gator" seat from Northern, made an adapter plate to mount it on the 420 & another adapter plate to mount the current 420 seat on the 790. Replaced the seat springs on the F525 with longer ones, used the current F525 seat springs to upgrade the 420 springs when I put the new seat on it. ~~ grnspot

#545 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Got a pair of tail lights and reflectors for LGT165 today. Installed them, I will need a new light switch, takes 5-6 tries to get them to come on. Going to pickup the 26X12 tires in the morning. Not sure where they will call home yet, maybe on the GTV/16.

#546 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Got a pair of tail lights and reflectors for LGT165 today. Installed them, I will need a new light switch, takes 5-6 tries to get them to come on. Going to pickup the 26X12 tires in the morning. Not sure where they will call home yet, maybe on the GTV/16.

Can't wait to see pics of the 26's installed.
  • KennyP said thank you

#547 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Can't wait to see pics of the 26's installed.

:ditto:
  • KennyP said thank you

#548 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Cleaned up and painted the deck for the MF7. Gave it a phsyical first. It passed.

#549 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:14 PM

Did you check it's prostrate?

#550 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Did you check it's prostrate?

My tractors are all girls. Checked the 26's for plugs.:laughingteeth::laughingteeth:

#551 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Kenny

Do you mean prostate? All decks are female aren't they? :laughingteeth::laughingteeth:!
  • KennyP said thank you

#552 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Was mowing with my Snapper 1600 and hit a big old root sticking up out of the ground but hidden by the grass. Knocked the blades out of time and they hit on each other which ruined them. Guess while I'm fixing that, might as well replace all the bearings. Now to see if I can find that article on which bearings etc to save me some time.

#553 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 21, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Installed the engine on the Commando 6. Also installed the choke and throttle cables. As a bonus, I got the battery tray sand blasted and painted as well. I picked up some rubberized undercoating for the inside of the tray, but didn't have a chance to shoot it on yet.
While I had the sand blaster running, I threw the main body of the axle hitch for my 312 in there and got it painted as well.

#554 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Doing physicals on the girls is a whole lot more fun.:rofl2:
I thought about putting them on the Ford, but was concerned the extra lift may cause problems with the u-joints on the tiller when it is down. IE: wouldn't be able to till as deep as I can now. I can set the tiller to go deeper, but that puts more angle on the u-joints. Plus I have chains for the 23X10.50's.

Edited by KennyP, May 22, 2011 - 06:29 AM.

#555 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,512 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 22, 2011 - 07:47 AM

I forgot to add that I checked out the charging system on the Ford yesterday. The cheap meter I was using showed 17 volts at the battery, so I thought the regulator was at fault. But that meter wouldn't work on ohms. So I got out my Knight K-260 to ohm the wiring. Set it to DC volts and it showed only 14.5+/- at the battery. So that cheap meter is history. Bought a new cheap meter and it is off from the Knight a little, but a whole lot closer that the other one. I don't like leaving the good meter out in the shop, but will use it to make sure the cheap ones are giving a reasonable reading. Just a heads up in case others may be getting odd readings.