• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 11:10 PM

Nice sickle bar, Tinkerer. I will have to put a new regulator on the Ford, as it over charges.

#497 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 10:11 AM

Went to install new tie rod ends on the 314 and discovered that the tie rod was bent. It was bent straight up in about the middle. It looks like someone tryed to jack it up using the tie rod. Only took a minute to straighten it out. Whenever you work on an older machine you get to see the history of what has happened to it in the past. I find that to be one of the fun things about this hobby, even if you sometimes find really bad repair jobs.
The old rod ends were quite worn. When I looked under the rubber boots they were rusty and dry as a bone. I usually give mine a little squirt of spray lithium grease every year to keep them lubed.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#498 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Painted the side panels yesterday for the LGT 165. Plan to post pics in my 'Freshen up' thread. Engine seems to be doing fine.

#499 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 10:21 AM

Got the pics posted on the Ford. I will start on removing the seat pan, now.

#500 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 11:00 AM

The old rod ends were quite worn. When I looked under the rubber boots they were rusty and dry as a bone. I usually give mine a little squirt of spray lithium grease every year to keep them lubed.

I been wondering for a while what others have been doing with the ball joint style tie rod ends, and I may just start doing that myself. Thanks.

#501 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 07, 2011 - 08:47 PM

I finished the deck rebuild on the 285, the did the 265 deck. Leveled the decks on the 140 ,265, and 285. Changed the front tires on the 285 and 265, Did an oil change on the 265, 285 and 140. and lubed all the chassis

#502 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 12:24 AM

Seat pan is primed, letting it dry for sanding. Moved the Ford over so I could wash some of the crud off the hydro. Fins were nearly full, sprayed on some Mean Green degreaser and got it looking pretty good. While the seat pan is off, I will fix a few items that need attention. PO used nails to hold everything together. Need to weld the steering box bracket back together on one side, maybe brace it better.

#503 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 02:27 AM

Got my Cub 127 PTO rebuilt.Installed 2 clutch disks instead of 1.It should last the life of the tractor.
Installed a stainless steel Pin in the Driveshaft.The PO had a Roll pin jammed in there and it was bent.

Installed the 23x10.50x12 rims and tires I bought the other day for $40.They were on a JD212 that was being parted out by someone.
I'm going to have to take them back off and put 1 thick washer on each Lug bolt in between the Rim and the Hub.The left tire JUST touches the inner fender well.
Getting the chains installed will be a PITA with them being that close.Washers will work till I need to chain up.

They look Really good on the tractor though,except for the Yellow paint.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 08, 2011 - 02:37 AM.

#504 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 02:41 AM

Got my Cub 127 PTO rebuilt.Installed 2 clutch disks instead of 1.It should last the life of the tractor.
Installed a stainless steel Pin in the Driveshaft.The PO had a Roll pin jammed in there and it was bent.

Installed the 23x10.50x12 rims and tires I bought the other day for $40.They were on a JD212 that was being parted out by someone.
I'm going to have to take them back off and put 1 thick washer on each Lug bolt in between the Rim and the Hub.The left tire JUST touches the inner fender well.
Getting the chains installed will be a PITA with them being that close.Washers will work till I need to chain up.

They look Really good on the tractor though,except for the Yellow paint.

Eric, I would invest in automotive wheel spacers, they will perform way better, and give plenty of space. The ones I'm talking will have holes to recess your lug bolts and then new studs for the rim. Only downside is you will have to enlarge the lug holes in the wheels, but they would be worthless to you without the spacers.

#505 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 11:24 AM

While checking the field with the golf cart it decided to quit running. Walked back and got the skid steer to carry it to the shop. There we found good fuel supply so off with the carb and cleaned. Now we are back up and running.

#506 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 03:37 PM

Went and got Kaylen's (KK's) tractor. Had it started and moving on it's own after about 1/2 hour of tinkering. Part of that was putting on a spare tire.

#507 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Solved the electrical issue on my MF12. Woooo Hoooo!

#508 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 06:35 PM

Got the blue on the seat pan. Next is the charcoal highlights. Found a few things to fix and deleted a few PO nails whilst the seat pan is off. Centered the steering wheel and got the tool box sprayed charcoal. Guess it's about time to go seat shopping. I would hate to put this ugly thing back on after all the new paint.

#509 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted May 08, 2011 - 06:37 PM

Changed the hydro oil and filter on my Craftsman PGT9000. Then gave it a general clean-up, including a polish. Ohhh, the glare!!!

#510 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 09, 2011 - 01:37 AM

Worked more on the Caterpillar rewire project. It is going well, new wires are actually going in now lol. It sure is nice to start it over from scratch using heavy duty truck parts and bigger wires. :D