• 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:03 PM

got to make 10 posts to download another manual

bought a 317 for 1800
guy

said it only had 259 hrs on it but digging into it

looks like it has more hours.

any way to check that? What should the compression be?

I just merged your posts. Please don't abuse the system by posting a bunch of one liners just to get your post count up.

#452 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Well it's been one of those days. It has rained for a week so the lawn needed mowed.
Started out with my Murray Yard King Pro and it was going good till it died in the middle of a hill.
Got off to see what was wrong and when I opened the hood it caught fire around the electrical connection on the bottom of the carburator. I put that out before it did much damage.
My dad came out and we towed it to the shop, will have to tear into it next week and see what's up?
It's too good a machine to scrap over one little incident.

Went to the shop to install the mower on my 318. This was a first for me so I had some figureing out to do.
That's when I discovered the lift link was missing on the right side of the tractor. The one that goes between the lift and the mower deck.
It was mid afternoon so the JD Shop was closed. So I took the other link off and took measurements.
took some Barstock and made a link that will work till I get the right one. With the limited tools on hand it took about 1 1/2 hours to grind, drill and file out the slot. But I spent one whole day at home and never left the place.
Put it on and adjusted the mower height. and did most of the mowing.

#453 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Spent part of yesterday & today working on the Onan P224 out of the JD420 meangreen's Dad (my FIL) bought. It would run, but every now & then it would start a knocking sound & we could see the flywheel actually move up & down a shade. Turns out the front main was rotating on it's seat, cutting off the oil to the crank & camshaft until it would move again to the right spot to align oil holes. Turns out the bearing is not worn out as clearance is within spec. I cut 2 slots 1/8" deep into the edge of the crank bearing, 3/16" apart. Bent this outward at a slight angle. On the rod side of the block where the bearing installs, I filed an angled slot into the block. When I installed the bearing (using red Loctite, which previous fellow did not & is called for), this tang I put into the bearing fits snug into the notch in the block, which will prevent the bearing from turning. The Loctite may have been enough, but I want to be sure.

#454 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:56 PM

Started a rebuild on the carburetor for the Techy HH60, only to discover that the float has some fluid in it! Of course it was too late to get a new one, so will continue at a later time. Also started to build a straight pipe for the 312. I found a piece of 1" EMT that I had laying around and it seems just the right size! Also cut a flange out of a piece of scrap that I had lying around. Need to borrow one of the benders from work so that I can get it just right!

#455 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:59 PM

picked up my new JD 285. I did alot to it. reasembled it, installed new igniter, new batt cables, new batt, cleaned and rebilt carb, flushed the tank, new antifreeze,new plugs, new fuel line, new fuel pump.... Thats about it. I think it will se more wrench time tomorrow

#456 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I just got a 82 JD314 that was running rough and needed some choke to run at high speed. It was backfiring after shutdown and generally running poorly. I decided to check the points and they were pitted. I tried to burnish them but the pitting is deep. When I put it back together it wouldn't run. It would pop a couple of times then nothing. I took out the plug and found I had spark maybe once or twice when I started cranking, then no spark. Looked at the points while I cranked it and they were barely opening. I re gapped them to .020 and it fired up and right away it sounded different- smoother and quieter. Took it for a drive and let it run for 15minutes or so. When I shut it off in the garage I noticed drops of oil where I had driven in. They were coming from the breather. Hopefully it is just the crankcase breather that is clogged or not assembled properly and not blow by pressurizing the crankcase. It doesn't smoke at all even at startup. I found another problem today. I thought the rough running at low speeds was due to a tune up issue but while looking underneath I discovered a broken rear motor mount that is contributing to the vibration. Oh well at least it is running now.

#457 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:32 PM

After using my new to me 51 broom on my 318 I realized I needed more weight in the rear so I filled the rear tires with 6 gallons of WWF each.
Tire Fill 3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Tire fill 1.jpg
  • Tire Fill 2.jpg

#458 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 09:03 PM

I got to work on the big boy today. The MF 50 has been running a little rough so i pulled the plugs and regapped them to the correct gap. You know sometimes you have to enlarge the PDF file to see the difference between 0.025 and 0.035. It was 0.025 this time when i looked in the book. I adjusted my brakes so that I actually have some now. Thats a nice feature to have. And finally I got to take apart my throttle linkage and fix it. The tractor came with a nice pair of vice grips attached to the friction disk to act as my throttle lever. The lever on the dash just swung around and was not connected to the linkage. Using my amazing contortionist skill and a can of PB blast I pulled the little connecting rod and its two ball and socket joints out out from under the dash. The socket that was connected to the trhottle lever was worn so much that the ball just feel out. So I installed the ball setion into the socket section and with a little persuation and a 3 lbs hammer, recrimped the socket. Now the ball doesnt fall out anymore. I reattached everything and Howdy Doody we got a working dash throttle again.

Yesterday I had to work inside since i was raining all day, so I got the PTO shaft off the JD 261 mower and started replacing the locking yoke. It originally hada snap lock coupler on it. Where it is now I have no Idea since it was gone when I got it. Jd said the repair parts were NLA and that I would have to replace the yoke and cross. Parts were gonna be $120. So I pulled the yoke apart, thanks to a high school frien who showed me how to press apart universal joints 20 years ago, I did it with little problem. Wit the old yoke in hand and the two bearing cups, off to TSC. I managed to match up the old yoke to a new one. I went home and pressed it all back together, and what do you know it works!

The day before that I got to install a muffler on the 1855. I was at TSC and saw one that i thought would fit. I grabbed it and headed home. I had to cut the exhaust pipe so the muffler would fit and i had to use a little persuation on it but it was on there. I cranked it up and couldnt tell a difference in the loudness. So I used the old end cap that was on the exhast and made it fit the mufflers exit port. That helpped quit it down a bit. The bad thing is that now i hear more little squeeks and whines.

Edited by coldone, April 23, 2011 - 09:13 PM.

#459 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 10:48 PM

Well I finished up the motor swap on the Sears SS12. I installed a battery and wired it up, changed out the throttle cable for a longer one, and installed the original gas tank. Tomorrow I will put some gas in it and see how it goes. I found out tonight that the headlight switch isn't working anymore so I will have to switch that out another day. I have a rear tire that goes down so I will have to find out where the leak is and see if it is repairable. Here are a couple of pictures with everything finished up.0423112300.jpg As you can see from this last photo it is a little bit snug with this new motor. The original motor was a Tecumseh HH120 and now it has a Tecumseh OH140. The bar running under the breather tube is the grill support. I thought I was going to have to angle it and drill a new hole up front but after disconnecting the breather hose from the metal down spout I noticed that it would work just fine over the top of the grill support. There is only an 1/8" gap between the breather tube and the hood. At least I didn't have to do any modifications.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0423112258a.jpg
  • 0423112258.jpg

• hrhoward said thank you

#460 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 12:03 PM

Piddled with the diesel JB this morning. Got my new stainless steel hood latches in the mail yesterday & got them installed. Now the hood doesn't vibrate & rattle like before. Also cut out a piece of metal to weld into the hood where the cutout was for the OE air filter housing. I may spot-weld it in later today after returning from family Easter gathering.

#461 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Couple of little things like mounting the key clips with chains to the Sears 3pt and changing the oil in the GT5000.

Also took 15 minutes and found 1/2 my bench top. Maybe tonight I can find the other half and some of the floor. Tired of doing the garage shuffle to get thru.

#462 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Got a good bit done today. Got the detent spring fixed in dad's Bolens 800. Also swapped the original starter generator back on to the 800 trying to trouble shoot the lack of charging. Tested the one that was on it and it wasn't working which is why we put the other one on it. Wasn't charging either until I started testing it and grounded the field wire and she was charging so I knew it was the regulator. Got to looking at the regulator and here the one side wasn't bolted down and of course that was the side with the grounding strap. Put a bolt in and it is charging now.

I also fluid filled the tires on the Massey MF12G and will be posting a little article on it since it has been topic of a lot of discussions lately.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#463 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 07:42 PM

Installed a new battery in the Suburban, checked it over and fired it up for the first time this season. The snow is pretty much gone and it is time to think about spring chores.

#464 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,322 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Not with a GT, but got the smaller tires on the Massey Harris 81, took off the pulling hitch and put the regular drawbar on. Also put the Wheel Weights back on. Stupid things weigh 120# each, 2 on each wheel. Ryan had to help this time, too darned heavy tonight :D
Good helper, and I told him so!

#465 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 09:16 AM

chased electrical problems on the GT 5000 saturday. Have it narrowed down to the solenoid on the carb. The wire going into looks to be in less than ideal condition. Got to see if I can fix it or if it has to be replaced.