coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 07:47 AM

I made a clean spot on the L8 today. I had finished converting the L to an L8 and wanted to fix a few minor problems while I had it in the shop. There appeared to be a leak in the gas tank. It was on the left hand side and the OP had caked on the epoxy to try and stop it. I pulled the tank and tried to get the epoxy off so I could see the leak. I tried chipping it off and got frustrated so i grabbed the side grinder with a wire brush on it. Well I got the epoxy off, and the paint too. There was no way to match new paint to the old so I had to go ahead and strip the rest of the tank and paint it. I figured it would look even more crappy to put a freshly painted tank onto the old paint fan shroud, so i pulled all the sheet metal, clean and painted it too. My 5 minute job turned into half a day and I still have to put it back together.

So becareful of making a clean spot!
  • janiecv16 said thank you

#32 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:22 AM

...My 5 minute job turned into half a day and I still have to put it back together...So becareful of making a clean spot!

You sound a lot like me LOL! I've done that myself a few times. Makes you think twice about starting something that could get too "involved"! Sounds like you had fun though!

#33 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 09:11 PM

Replace the stained and unusable hydro fluid check line and put my E-Bay light brackets on:pIMG00309-20101114-2041.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00307-20101114-1937.jpg
  • IMG00308-20101114-1957.jpg
  • IMG00306-20101114-1906.jpg

#34 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 11:04 PM

Not to a tractor, but to the workspace. Swept, and finished prep work for Ryan's Tractor to come in... last item to do is Build another bench on a "found" wall. Never to many flatspots when I'm around. LOL

#35 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 08:48 AM

Sat morning before I could go to the plow day I swapped my loaded and chained turfs on the LGT 165 that I was plowing with.

#36 scout girl OFFLINE  

scout girl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1388
  • 8 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 11:02 AM

I finished getting the engine back in the 1250 and took it up and down the driveway a few times. It is amazing how much quieter it is when the muffler doesn't have a second hole in it the size of a baseball. And the new engine mounts really took the shakes and hard rattles out of it.

I also picked up a snow blade for it that needs a little bit of attention.

#37 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 17, 2010 - 06:03 PM

The wife and I went to the hardware store to get some paint for the trim around the front door. While we were there I picked up a can of SeaFoam to treat the gas in the tractors. As soon as we got home I put some in the gas tanks of all eight tractors. Some of the fellows swear by it so we might as well try it.

#38 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:05 PM

I built this vari-speed control handle for my Bush Hog V4-6 out of an implement lift handle from an Allis 410 garden tractor.

DSC00128.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00125.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#39 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:35 PM

Today was modification day. When I received my Bolens 1600H with mower deck and bagger I was missing a set of critical pulleys. Today I added an engine to the mower deck to run the blower for the bagger. I received a 6 Hp motor from pressure washer the other day. The motor ran fine and so I decided to attach the motor to my mower deck and run the blower so that I could pick up leaves. It took me about 3 hours to engineer how I was going to attach it, find a pulley that would fit on the motor and find a short belt. I had all the pieces around from other pieces of equipment that people had given me and the belt was saved from an old treadmill I disassembled years ago. After getting the motor where I wanted and mounted, I gave it a test run. This first test run didn't last long as one of the motor mount bolts loosened up. I changed this bolt out for a different one that wouldn't come loose. The next test run went well. I used my neighbors yard that was covered with leaves and did some lawn cleanup. I have decided after mounting the mower that I will have to design and fabricate the bolt I need to hold the pulleys on this winter as the motor makes the mower deck a little to heavy on one side and therefore wants to dig into the lawn. Here are a couple of pictures with the motor mounted to the mower deck.1118101559a.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 1118101558.jpg
  • 1118101559.jpg

#40 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I built this vari-speed control handle for my Bush Hog V4-6 out of an implement lift handle from an Allis 410 garden tractor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7212[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7213[/ATTACH]

Looks like it's made to fit and work.If you wouldn't have said what It was I'd have figured it came from new like that.BTW I see I'am not the only one who salvages stuff from other machines to make work on the ones that we fix up.Larry

#41 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Today was modification day. When I received my Bolens 1600H with mower deck and bagger I was missing a set of critical pulleys. Today I added an engine to the mower deck to run the blower for the bagger. I received a 6 Hp motor from pressure washer the other day. The motor ran fine and so I decided to attach the motor to my mower deck and run the blower so that I could pick up leaves. It took me about 3 hours to engineer how I was going to attach it, find a pulley that would fit on the motor and find a short belt. I had all the pieces around from other pieces of equipment that people had given me and the belt was saved from an old treadmill I disassembled years ago. After getting the motor where I wanted and mounted, I gave it a test run. This first test run didn't last long as one of the motor mount bolts loosened up. I changed this bolt out for a different one that wouldn't come loose. The next test run went well. I used my neighbors yard that was covered with leaves and did some lawn cleanup. I have decided after mounting the mower that I will have to design and fabricate the bolt I need to hold the pulleys on this winter as the motor makes the mower deck a little to heavy on one side and therefore wants to dig into the lawn. Here are a couple of pictures with the motor mounted to the mower deck.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7214[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7215[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7216[/ATTACH]

Very Nice Fabrication :thumbs:

#42 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 10:23 PM

Got to turn a wrench on the JD430 I picked up a few weeks ago. Won a seat off e-bay, it has a rip on one side, but MUCH better than what was on it.

IMG00313-20101118-1911.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00312-20101118-1808.jpg

#43 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Today I exchanged the 8.5 inch wide tires on my 1969 Bolens 1220 for the studded 10.5 inch wide tires on my 1973 Bolens G14 parts machine. I then removed the mower for the season and mounted the 38 inch snow blower. I need to change the oil to the winter formula and come up with some weight for the back of the 1220 before snow flies but that will have to be next week sometime.
Jonathan

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:37 PM

Today I exchanged the 8.5 inch wide tires on my 1969 Bolens 1220 for the studded 10.5 inch wide tires on my 1973 Bolens G14 parts machine. I then removed the mower for the season and mounted the 38 inch snow blower. I need to change the oil to the winter formula and come up with some weight for the back of the 1220 before snow flies but that will have to be next week sometime.
Jonathan

Lets see some pics of it! :D

#45 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 08:53 PM

Got to turn a wrench on the JD430 I picked up a few weeks ago. Won a seat off e-bay, it has a rip on one side, but MUCH better than what was on it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7218[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7217[/ATTACH]

Looks so much better Fred! Just think how good it would look repainted.......RED!:bigrofl: