• Please log in to reply
2305 replies to this topic

#346 dadork OFFLINE  

dadork

• Member No: 2404
  • 3 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 05:34 PM

I have a Bolen's 650 that I'm restoring and I got the right worm wheel so I put my transmission back together. I totally took apart the whole tractor and now am in the process of putting everything back together after everything was cleaned, stripped down to bare metal in most places, primed and repainted. The manual I have is for a medium tubeframe and I'm not sure that it's the right manual but can't find anything on small tube or for 650's specifically.

#347 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:23 PM

Welcome to GTT!

You came to the right place for Bolens info and literature.
Be sure to post any further info or progress you make in our Bolens Forum.
We would love to see some pictures as well :D

Here is the direct Bolens forum Link
Bolens Garden Tractor Forum

#348 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I tore the tranny out of the Massey 12G on Sunday. Today after work I set it up on the new workbench I just built on Saturday and started taking the axle tubes off. Ran out of time for now and Doug mentioned a great idea to stand it on end using the wheel and tire so I plan on doing that tomorrow.

#349 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Didn't sleep well last night, not feeling well, by the time 4am rolled around, I was officially sick. Finally got out of bed About 11 & forced myself outside to "burn" off the sickness with a little puttering.

Put a 2nd coat of primer on ryan's rear rims, set them aside to dry so he could sand when he got home. Found (finally) the belt sander and took off all the rust from the Sears plow surface. Then wire brushed, sanded and painted it to protect it. It was a lawn ornament save last year & had seen some weather.

Took the boom apart & ran the wire brush on it and just a few minutes ago, put the primer on. I didn't have it in me to make the welds "purty" with the grinder. I may yet, but at least it won't rust anymore between now and then.

Ryan got home, started homework and when he took a break, he sanded the rims. Too cold now to prime them again, have to wait for tomorrow night.

Edited by MH81, March 24, 2011 - 06:57 PM.

#350 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:44 PM

I had to work today, so I didn't get to do or with my tractor today. I need a fix. HELP!!!!

#351 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Today I had the privilege of working on my wife's grandfathers 1960 or 1961 Simplicity 700. He hadn't ran the tractor since last fall(he is in his 90's) and when he tried to start it, it wouldn't stay running. After cleaning the carb and repairing a carb mount bolt I got it running. I did a repair on the dirt/snow blade and found the voltage regulator had a broken mount and will need to be replaced.0322111335.jpg His father bought it new. The other attachments that he has for it is a mowing deck, single bottom land plow, cultivator and the tire weights and rear weights. Someday I hope that I can restore it for him but he usually uses it year round. After I got home from working on his, I tackled one of my new projects. While I was working on my projects I was boiling down some sap to make maple syrup. I installed the new front end on the Bolens H18XL but before I could move it into the garage I needed to tighten the overhead valve assemble as it became loose enough to have a push rod come out of the rocker arm. I started installing the choke cable I picked over the winter but ran out of time before my meeting. More to do tomorrow.

#352 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 10:08 PM

While boiling sap and watching the kids while the wife took one of the girls to her eye doctor appointment I was able to work on the Bolens H18XL a little. I finished installing the choke cable. It works backwards from what is written on the dash but I don't have to open the hood to choke it. I installed the the heat box that is over the muffler and fabricated the rest of the tin work that goes from the OHV's to the heat box. I adjusted the angle of the hydro pedal and took some slop out of the hydro linkage.

#353 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Worked on my Bush Hog JBI, prepping the NOS hydro for install. Hoping to get her moving strong again tomorrow.

#354 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:25 PM

Worked on the Bolens 800 Today. Got the oil seals out and will get new ones on Monday

#355 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Got a chance to work on the Bolens H18XL today. The wife and kids were off to a book signing and I was alone to boil sap and tinker. I installed a hood chain so the hood would only open so far, temporarily mounted a John Deere R72 seat until the original seat dries out, installed some rubber hose around where the hood meets the dash when it closes and remounted the headlight bulb holders as the were loose and rattling around. I also made a 1/2 gallon of maple syrup today. So all in all it was a productive day.

#356 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Ryan, "Uncle" Caseguy & myself got Ryan's Sleeve Hitch Built. The tubing is 3000lb Burst rated Hydraulic line. Walls are 3/8 thick with a 5/8 hole in the middle. We modified it a little from the drawings, extra couple of holes on the lift arm (leverage changes... Ryan is 12 & we may need the advantage).

Here's some action shots & 2 of my favorite people in the world working on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0065.jpg
  • PICT0067.jpg
  • PICT0055.jpg
  • PICT0058.jpg
  • PICT0069.jpg
  • PICT0068.jpg
  • PICT0070.jpg

Edited by MH81, March 26, 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#357 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Alan, thats a huge tube, think you got the right one? lol. Great project and it looks good.

#358 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 10:30 PM

Looks great Alan, And you had the right help with you on the drill press.

#359 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 07:13 AM

Looks Great!

#360 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Ryan, "Uncle" Caseguy & myself got Ryan's Sleeve Hitch Built. The tubing is 3000lb Burst rated Hydraulic line. Walls are 3/8 thick with a 5/8 hole in the middle. We modified it a little from the drawings, extra couple of holes on the lift arm (leverage changes... Ryan is 12 & we may need the advantage).

Here's some action shots & 2 of my favorite people in the world working on it.

Alan the sleeve hitch looks great and will definitely get the job done. It is great that Ryan wants to be involved with the garden tractors. Our boy doesn't want to be around em at all. My little girl on the other hand loves working in the garage with me and I think once she gets a little older will want to be involved.