#316 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 10, 2011 - 10:29 PM

I finished welding the lift pins onto my modified 3 point Brinley disk (now potato hiller/ raised bed maker) I can't wait until it dries up enough to try it out. the disks are totally adjustable and I might have to take a couple of the disks off we will see how it does.

100_3533.jpg
It has been too wet to try it out. It might work better if I take 2 outer disks off each side, will wait to try out and see. If it doesn't work to suit me I can flip the disks around and re-adjust and just have a 3 point disk. It would be better than a drag anyways because I can use the down pressure of my tractor and not have to use weights on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3534.jpg

#317 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 10:42 PM

Looked all over town for Silver Mist (MF10 Rim Color) in a spray. Finally found it at Auto Zone. "Rustoleum Wheel & Rim Paint" Wow, Just the thing... WRONG.

Used electrolysis to get rid of rust. Wire brushed the rims, cleaned, temps close, humidity a little high, actually shook the can, used etchant primer. The Silver Mist went on fast, looked good until I tried to put the MF RED on it 2 days later... Orange peel city. Checked cleanup instructions, same solvents, so the 2 should at least play nice together. Took the center area clean again & started over. Less peeling this time, but still a little. I was blaming the Valspar MF Red until I started to peel of the good Blue masking tape. The silver was coming off all over the place. Ryan let me do the touchup... I think he wanted to be somewhere else if Dad melted down.

Finally got the rims at least close to right. We hope to find another set sometime in the future. I would not suggest using Rustoleum Wheel Paint for much of anything. Especially if using another color with it. Just my $0.02.

Anyways, here is the "As far as we're going" product. Considering what we had to work with, it'll do:

Attached Thumbnails

• Fronts Mounted.JPG

#318 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,689 Thanks
  • 5,337 posts

Posted March 11, 2011 - 11:46 PM

Ive had problems when you mix 2 different brands of paint, even the same brand spray and liquid paint sometimes. I try to stick with the same stuff when doing 2 colours on 1 part, just easier for me.

#319 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 12:08 AM

I finished making my potato plow/ layoff plow. I made the plow out of scrap that I had and made the tips interchangeable. One is a wider middle buster that I am going to plow my taters with in the fall and the other is a little chisel that I am going to use to layoff my rows. I finally got all the parts to test my hydro pump. Going to wait until it dries up a little and test while I am tilling some more of the garden up so I can plant my potatoes. Figure with gas almost 4 dollars a gallon if I have to get the hydro system hot might as well do something productive while I am doing it.
100_3538.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3540.jpg
  • 100_3539.jpg

#320 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 02:25 AM

Looked all over town for Silver Mist (MF10 Rim Color) in a spray. Finally found it at Auto Zone. "Rustoleum Wheel & Rim Paint" Wow, Just the thing... WRONG.

Used electrolysis to get rid of rust. Wire brushed the rims, cleaned, temps close, humidity a little high, actually shook the can, used etchant primer. The Silver Mist went on fast, looked good until I tried to put the MF RED on it 2 days later... Orange peel city. Checked cleanup instructions, same solvents, so the 2 should at least play nice together. Took the center area clean again & started over. Less peeling this time, but still a little. I was blaming the Valspar MF Red until I started to peel of the good Blue masking tape. The silver was coming off all over the place. Ryan let me do the touchup... I think he wanted to be somewhere else if Dad melted down.

Finally got the rims at least close to right. We hope to find another set sometime in the future. I would not suggest using Rustoleum Wheel Paint for much of anything. Especially if using another color with it. Just my $0.02.

Anyways, here is the "As far as we're going" product. Considering what we had to work with, it'll do:

Alan, Maybe the red still had solvents in it that hadn'd evaperated, I've had the same thing happen. I have used a hair dryer on stuff to make sure it flashed out good. Then painted over it. Don't know if thats what happened or not. Sorry for your problems.

#321 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:03 AM

Ive had problems when you mix 2 different brands of paint, even the same brand spray and liquid paint sometimes. I try to stick with the same stuff when doing 2 colours on 1 part, just easier for me.

Alan, Maybe the red still had solvents in it that hadn'd evaperated, I've had the same thing happen. I have used a hair dryer on stuff to make sure it flashed out good. Then painted over it. Don't know if thats what happened or not. Sorry for your problems.

Thanks Guys,
Doug: I agree wholeheartedly about mixing brands. But they were what I could find locally in the right color by code.

Brian: the silver was the base coat. I guess it's possible that that was the orange peel problem, but the lack of good adhesion I blame on the paint, or operator error & IDK what I did wrong.

Either way, Ryan is happy & that's what counts! I just hope they hold up for him.

#322 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 10:12 AM

still sandblasting...........................

#323 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,382 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:44 PM

Built a sleeve hitch adaptor.
Now I can hang the Brinley sleeve hitch plow on the 3pt.
Also made some adaptors to be able to hang the mini Sears (I think)
imps on the sleeve hitch adaptor.
Sleeve hitch adaptor will also act as a draw bar. (I'm too cheap to buy one):smile1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Rozwell Ranch said thank you

#324 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,248 Thanks
  • 17,421 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:45 PM

I welded the cracks in the seat on the Bolens 800 and 600 Today.

#325 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 09:48 PM

Built a sleeve hitch adaptor.
Now I can hang the Brinley sleeve hitch plow on the 3pt.
Also made some adaptors to be able to hang the mini Sears (I think)
imps on the sleeve hitch adaptor.
Sleeve hitch adaptor will also act as a draw bar. (I'm too cheap to buy one):smile1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sherwood, That looks great, I like the adapter you made for Sears attachments, very nice...

#326 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,823 Thanks
  • 6,829 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 10:26 PM

After seeing Josh set up his disc for hilling I wanted to try the same. The disc was just a pull behind that can with a parts tractor , I made it into a 3 point hook up a few years ago but the one bearing was bad and shaft froze . Spent the afternoon getting it apart to find only the inner bearing race , cage was left intact . Went above the garage to see if by dumb luck I would have a bearing and race , not only did I have 1 but 2 bearings and races !!!!! Kept the inner disc off and can't wait to try it out . DSC07689.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC07682.jpg

#327 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,468 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 10:36 PM

Good job Al. That should work well for you.

#328 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,390 Thanks
  • 29,103 posts

Posted March 12, 2011 - 11:37 PM

Got my 3 pt from BHTS today & installed it. I put a followup & pic HERE. Thanks Bob!

#329 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 12:53 AM

After seeing Josh set up his disc for hilling I wanted to try the same. The disc was just a pull behind that can with a parts tractor , I made it into a 3 point hook up a few years ago but the one bearing was bad and shaft froze . Spent the afternoon getting it apart to find only the inner bearing race , cage was left intact . Went above the garage to see if by dumb luck I would have a bearing and race , not only did I have 1 but 2 bearings and races !!!!! Kept the inner disc off and can't wait to try it out . [ATTACH=CONFIG]11399[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11400[/ATTACH]

Looks good Al, When you get a chance to try it out let me know I haven't used mine yet. My discs are angle adjustable so I can set it to what works. I couldn't tell if your were but something to think about. Also I plan to use mine really close to the plants so I plan to run a stabilizer bar and tighten it so there is little side to side play in the 3 point might save some plants from getting chopped up.

#330 jollygreen OFFLINE  

jollygreen

• Member No: 2269
  • 0 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 13, 2011 - 07:14 AM

While the weather in Ohio was nice Saturday I took full advantage of it, Got all the bushing out of my front axle, Wire brush it and primed. All my spindles and tie rods were primed and painted. Boy getting them snap rings off of the hydra fittings on the front of my 140 was not easy. Lets see what else, wheel brushed one of my front wheels and primed. Got a question for you guys. I said this is the first time I have down this so. I don't no much about body work, Is it better to take as much paint off of my sheet metal parts so it is smooth and prime? or what is the best way to get it ready to paint? Also what are the best tools I should use ? And if I want a mirror finish look what paint should I use? I am going to work my tractor but I want it to be a head turner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: with your tractor, to your tractor