grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for posting pics of the start on your restore awol. I can only imagine working in an unheated garage in Canada. I know you will keep us posted on your progress. We do occasionally run the heat in our garage but usually the temp has been staying about 47F even when the furnace isn't running.

Glad to hear that you were able to make your repairs Maynard. Why is it that whatever breaks, seems to be in the worst place to get at and work on ?

#227 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 07:27 PM

I started the JB diesel...does that count? :D Been full days farming lately, but tomorrow is my day off! The diesel JB is going up the road to meangreen's for a visit!

#228 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 11:17 PM

Got some garage time this afternoon. Found out the float on Ryan's MF10 is sticking & will "wee" out the water Drain hole. I just got that 2nd engine with the SS12, so I grabbed the carb off it... I don't think it's ever seen gas??? Looked brand new & had 12-85 stamped on it... I it possible this is a brand new one?

Anyways, got the 10 running again, sound good too! Dad & I shined up the pullies using the old stick trick... we did it, as we didn't want Ryan's fingers anywhere near those pullies/belts. They look pretty good now, not much can be done with the pitting. I am goind to look at the 67's rear pulley to see if it's in better shape. the back one is the really bad one pit wise.

We also tore apart the ign switch & shined everything up & put it back together. The original switch now works like a slightly to tight new one LOL, I may have crimped it a little tight, bu it'll wear in.

#229 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 11:23 PM

Alan ,I have redone pulley's that were pitted badly with JB weld, I wire wheeled the pulley good and clean and then applied the JB to it. After it started to set up ,I dida final smooth job with a piece of metal I ground down to fit in the groove. When it is fully set up, I hit it with some emory cloth to knock down any ridges that were left.
  • Bill56 and MH81 have said thanks

#230 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 11:50 PM

Started putting my B43 engine back into my 318. Got the frame cleaned up and seated the engine back in the hole where it belongs. Only problem is that it's been over a year since I pulled the engine out and now I don't remember where all the wires go, LOL.. I guess I will figure it out over the next couple of nights.

Got the wiring all figured out today. Starter on the new/used Onan B43 had a different starter on it. Mine had the solenoid mounted on the starter, and the replacement only had a starter, must have used a remote solenoid. Both eniges are out of 318Jd's ,so I don't understand that one.

#231 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Glad to hear that you were able to make your repairs Maynard. Why is it that whatever breaks, seems to be in the worst place to get at and work on ?

The only thing that could have made it worse would have been it it had happened today, ( Sunday ),nowhere to get hose made up.

#232 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 08:56 AM

Got the wiring all figured out today. Starter on the new/used Onan B43 had a different starter on it. Mine had the solenoid mounted on the starter, and the replacement only had a starter, must have used a remote solenoid. Both eniges are out of 318Jd's ,so I don't understand that one.

It's a 318's engine on my MF1855, and it's starter uses a remote solenoid. I think only the later year models had the starter mounted solenoid.

#233 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Trying to figure out how to fix a broken electric pto for my 214....

#234 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 10:24 AM

I had a helper yesterday and we tore down a Murray lawn tractor for the parts. Even though we are not full time foster parents anymore we still do respite care for foster kids. We have 2 kids for the week. I had the 12 year old boy help me in the garage and I think we have another garden tractor nut in training! The Murray had a great running 14 horse Briggs twin cylinder in it that I wanted to save. I let my helper have at it and tear the tractor down. He did a great job and had a ball taking it apart. We saved the engine, tranny and front axle with wheels, idler pullies and linkages. The mower deck was toast and that along with the tractor frame is set out for my neighbor to add to his scrap pile. I am planning on using this engine instead of the 12 horse single cylinder engine on my pull behind mower project.
  • Bill56 said thank you

#235 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 10:41 AM

That is nice he takes an interest in that.

#236 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 11:24 AM

That sounds like a great day, Mike. What a great way to have fun together, and make a start for a possible, future GT nut!!

Thanks for sharing that story.

#237 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:15 PM

I removed some more parts from the Bolens 1225 today and drained the rear end fluid if you want to call it fluid. It was thicker than molasses, I don't know what it was but I'm sure it wasn't SAE#90. Youtube link.
YouTube - Gear Oil

#238 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the video,that does look a bit like molasses.

#239 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:48 PM

Drove the diesel JB up to BIL meangreen's house. Was going to make a video of it driving, but right rear went flat on way home, so limped it in & changed out to a better tire. By time I got finished, my buddy Cecil stopped by & didn't get the video made. It will come soon.

#240 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 13, 2011 - 05:49 PM

I removed some more parts from the Bolens 1225 today and drained the rear end fluid if you want to call it fluid. It was thicker than molasses, I don't know what it was but I'm sure it wasn't SAE#90. Youtube link.
YouTube - Gear Oil

Likely straight 140 gear oil.