• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Started putting my B43 engine back into my 318. Got the frame cleaned up and seated the engine back in the hole where it belongs. Only problem is that it's been over a year since I pulled the engine out and now I don't remember where all the wires go, LOL.. I guess I will figure it out over the next couple of nights.

#212 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 09:26 PM

The Bolens 1600H has been starting hard and running rough so I purchased a carburetor rebuild kit and cleaned and rebuilt the carb. It needs some more tuning but runs smoother. While the carb was soaking I removed the rear fenders and seat worked on adjusting the hydro linkage. I went a little to far and so I will have to readjust in on Thursday. I will probably change the implement lift over from manual to hydraulic on Thursday. I found everything I needed on Ebay to make the switch over and got it for a reasonable price. All of the implements I have for this tractor are heavy, so the hydraulic lift will be a plus.

#213 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 08, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Got home tonight on time for once, jumped right into the SS12 and put it back together, it started & ran like it should. The 2nd time I started it, the switch failed. Oh well, probably should've had a new one anyways.... then I decided to move the Custom 7. It runs for 30 seconds & quits, then 30 seconds & quit... I think I got some gunk in the carb. Oh well. LOL The whole time I'm pouring gas on my gloveless hands (cant do fine work with them) the temp was dropping. When I came in, it was 8F and the wind was wailing. Prob 10 below with the wind chill. Brrrr.

On the upside, since I couldn't shut down the 12 with the switch, I got impulsive & hopped on. Did a 20 second lap & it seems really nice. At first, I thought the drive belt was slipping. Turned out the tires were spinning, guess I need some weights & chains. :D

#214 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:21 PM

I should have posted this last night but figured I would do it today. We got the new drive belts on the 800. The whole job wasn't all that hard to do. But when I went to start the 800 it ran for a short time and then quit. Turns out the gas tank was empty! Put gas in the old gal today and ran it down the driveway. Runs like a top.

#215 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:23 PM

That's great news grand.:thumbs:

#216 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 07:46 PM

I should have posted this last night but figured I would do it today. We got the new drive belts on the 800. The whole job wasn't all that hard to do. But when I went to start the 800 it ran for a short time and then quit. Turns out the gas tank was empty! Put gas in the old gal today and ran it down the driveway. Runs like a top.

Glad to hear the 800 is running again
Did you test the hi/low ?

#217 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 10, 2011 - 08:57 PM

Sorry I didn't answer sooner Brian, but some other issues came up here at home. Yes I did test the hi/low when I ran the 800, and everything ran fine. The 800 had only one belt since we brought it home and that's I how I had always run it. George said that after talking to you we needed two belts on the tractor. After helping work on the belt installation I now know much better how the hi/low operation works. Thank you for all of your help.

#218 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 01:10 AM

Yesterday I readjusted the hydro on the Bolens 1600H and got neutral back to where it should be. After I adjusted the hydro I decided to dive into changing the lift mechanism from manual to hydraulic. It was going okay until I tried to remove the manual lift handle from the rockshaft. It wouldn't budge even with heat so I took my grinder with a zipwheel and sliced it and then spread it with a cold chisel and it came off. Today after my dentist appointment I plan to continue with the conversion. I need to install the rockshaft that accepts the hydraulic piston, the hydraulic piston and hoses, and finish mounting the spool valve and control handle.

#219 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 01:58 AM

Stared at it longingly thru the frost on the window. I think we both wish it was warmer.

#220 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:20 PM

I thought I would pull the engine on my Bolens 1225 today to start the restoration. I don't have a heated garage so I thought I might bring the engine in the basement and start with that. I spoke with Jestin at tubeframe.com and I will be putting a order with him soon for a carb kit, choke and throttle cable and air breather. I figure it's a start at least I can stay warm:bounce:

0211011237b.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 0211011325.jpg
  • 0211011237.jpg
  • 0211011326a.jpg
  • 0211011326.jpg
  • 0211011327.jpg
  • 0211011237a.jpg
  • 0211011325a.jpg

#221 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 11, 2011 - 02:30 PM

Yes it's a start.

#222 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 11:00 AM

Was plowing snow this morning with the 6640 ,trying to move some 6 and 7 foot drifts when a hydraulic hose blew on the loader.So I have been working on that half the morning getting the old line off,having a new hose made up, and re-installing it.Great fun,was kind of tight quarters in between the loader uprights and the cab.You would think they would put them in a better spot.anyway,I got it.

#223 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 11:11 AM

Was plowing snow this morning with the 6640 ,trying to move some 6 and 7 foot drifts when a hydraulic hose blew on the loader.So I have been working on that half the morning getting the old line off,having a new hose made up, and re-installing it.Great fun,was kind of tight quarters in between the loader uprights and the cab.You would think they would put them in a better spot.anyway,I got it.

Glad to here your up and running! Hope it didn't make much of a mess.

#224 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 02:27 PM

Glad to here your up and running! Hope it didn't make much of a mess.

Oh it did make quite a mess,but I got it cleaned up.

#225 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted February 12, 2011 - 05:06 PM

I thought I would pull the engine on my Bolens 1225 today to start the restoration. I don't have a heated garage so I thought I might bring the engine in the basement and start with that. I spoke with Jestin at tubeframe.com and I will be putting a order with him soon for a carb kit, choke and throttle cable and air breather. I figure it's a start at least I can stay warm:bounce:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10357[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10356[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10355[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10352[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10354[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10353[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10351[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10350[/ATTACH]

Your off to a great start