Some of you have seen this over on the walk behind thread. For those that haven't - I'm removing the Tecumseh and installing a period correct Clinton on this 1952 ish Milwaukee Equipment tiller.
When I got this from a [then] neighbor he said it ran fine years ago but had been setting "on the old home place" unloved for 25+ years.
When I got it in September of '12 it turned good. Day before yesterday when I removed it it would turn 3/4 and get tight. Having had a real problem last year with another engine that would seize at times after a long sleep, I wanted to know what was going on inside this engine. Tore into it and it was the flywheel side bearing [or bushing] After a good cleaning inside and removing the rod bolts I could tell the problem was on the crank and not the rod or piston. With some fresh, clean oil and laying it on its side to lube the problem area it turned fine.
Checking the points, they were awful! Worked them over good and had some spark. That was surprising because the condensor is nasty looking. Worked the contacts over again and had great spark.
Tank is plastic so no rust to deal with. Better open up the carb....
Carb was terrible. I cleaned on it for a long time and got most everything looking do-able except I gave-er too much compressed air and shot the needle seat to who knows where. Doubt it was good anyhow but it'd been fun to save it.
Filled the carb. bowl with a syringe and the ole Tecumseh fired right up. Sounds good so now I'll have to find a use for it.
I do have a rusty [patina is kewell] '68 Lawn Ranger that would be a good butt buggy.....