• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 17, 2015 - 06:04 PM

Looks good from here! We got some sleet a few minutes ago!

#2027 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,544 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 10:14 PM

Finally got the mower deck and tiller taken off the Gravely 18H. Now to get the snow plow put on.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2028 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 3,377 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:54 AM

A tractor always looks better with stuff hanging off the front and back.

• KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2029 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 09:43 AM

Yesterday I put chains on the craftsman so I can sand driveways with a spreader I converted from push to pull behind

#2030 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,494 posts

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Installed new points in Wisconsin on the Bolens 850 project.  Got the two speed shift rod loosened up good. Drive shaft slide forward to put new drive belt on.  Chunk broke out of the pulley for the high side so it will be a low side only for mowing and blade work.  Lubed the shift rod with WD 40 to free them up.  Checked the transmission and it is good in all 3 forward and reverse.  More repair parts tomorrow and maybe it will fire up? ?

#2031 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 01:04 AM

Toro

2 days ago finished work for the Festive so took a look around then started to fiddle with the Toro xl440-h ,

i had mysteriously doubled over filled the engine with oil, so got a peace of clear hose & sucked some out till the correct oil level was reached & cleaned the plug

then started it with a great cloud of smoke , when it evened out in revvs i took it out for a short run to burn the excess oil from the system  , checked the tires for pressure , re parked it  

............................................

85 Rover Rancher

re set the clutch belt pulley on the mid 80's Rover Rancher rider as it would not disengage & replaced the bearing in the pulley as 1 was seized topped with oil & NO oil over fill on this 1 lol & took it for a test run aswell

Success yes 

#2032 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Toro

2 days ago finished work for the Festive so took a look around then started to fiddle with the Toro xl440-h ,

i had mysteriously doubled over filled the engine with oil, so got a peace of clear hose & sucked some out till the correct oil level was reached & cleaned the plug

then started it with a great cloud of smoke , when it evened out in revvs i took it out for a short run to burn the excess oil from the system  , checked the tires for pressure , re parked it  

............................................

85 Rover Rancher

re set the clutch belt pulley on the mid 80's Rover Rancher rider as it would not disengage & replaced the bearing in the pulley as 1 was seized topped with oil & NO oil over fill on this 1 lol & took it for a test run aswell

Success yes 

On the one overfilled, check it often, especially for gas in the oil. You may not have overfilled it and the carb leaked gas into the oil.

• Bmerf, MolonLabe and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2033 MolonLabe ONLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Installed magnetic oil drain plugs on four of the tractors along with the necessary 3/8 pipe adapters to accommodate the existing plumbing. Now all four have the same size drain plugs where before they were a variety of end and pipe wrenches.

SAM_1489.JPG SAM_1490.JPG SAM_1491.JPG SAM_1493.JPG

• Delmar, jpackard56 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2034 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,483 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Finally removed the mowing deck on Sears, installed my winch mount in mule drive for snow plow and welded up a bracket on it that broke. Guess it was good timing, 60's last week, 30's today with snow flurries......I hate winter! 

#2035 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 995 Thanks
  • 508 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:46 PM

I finally took the carb. off of my SS12 .

Now for clean up and rebuild.

#2036 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:05 AM

Well still flushing and filling the "O" trans-axle. Pulled right side axle shaft assembly today...yep more work ahead. Before its cleaned up enough that I'm happy with it I'm afraid it will be a complete tear-down like Boyscout said upfront.

IMG_20151231_164933.jpg

At least I have some time before Daniel's plow-day.

#2037 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Yea.  One of my least favorite projects.  broken bolt removal.  First the motor was acting like it wasn't getting enough gas, so I checked out the shut-off valve, filter, and finally checked the intake in the carb.  I adjusted the float a little, and it seemed to run better, but...so I pulled the plugs and they look to be heavily carboned over.  Time for cleaning/decarbonizing  the heads!  No problem, except while remove the heads 4  bolts broke off.   It is an old engine (1983 Onan B48G)  and the tractor spent a lot of years outside in the rain, etc. 

I soaked the bolts overnight with some tranny fluid/acetone mix, now I am working on drilling them out and using a easy-out tool to remove them.  Putting pressure on the easy-out with a cresent wrench while tapping with a hammer usually works, it just takes time.

Edited by Delmar, January 02, 2016 - 05:13 PM.

#2038 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:08 PM

ok, this just got tough....broke off the easy-out in the first bolt-hole. 

Edited by Delmar, January 02, 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#2039 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:34 AM

Got back to the tractor today and I pulled the motor out of it, I'm going to try welding on some nuts on the broken bolts tomorrow to have something to grab them to back them out.  hope that works.    I have a back up motor for the tractor, but I like the tractor it is in too.

Edited by Delmar, January 06, 2016 - 01:35 AM.

#2040 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:03 AM

Got back to the tractor today and I pulled the motor out of it, I'm going to try welding on some nuts on the broken bolts tomorrow to have something to grab them to back them out.  hope that works.    I have a back up motor for the tractor, but I like the tractor it is in too.

Amazing what  a "simple" project can turn into :wallbanging:  Hopefully this is not an immediate "needs done" with a whole crew being held up while you "fix" under pressure....Those are my worst  "favorite projects" Some how when it's just me and my stuff with no real deadline I actually enjoy it. The wife came in while I was viewing an assembly drawing the other day on my "O" trans-axle and she made the mistake of asking a question. After several photos of my posts here and explanation of the drawing she said "you actually enjoy this stuff don't you?" :D 

Hang tough, you're too far for me to come encourage in person, but I can say "some of those words" that Momma doesn't allow in the house out in my shop later today if it'll help :smilewink:

• limebuzz, KennyP and Delmar have said thanks