Had a scary experience with my mom's JD F725 the other day..
The thing wouldn't start for her last week so I went over to check it out.. Looking things over I found that once I engaged the starter the voltage dropped off a cliff so I spied a bad ground terminal connector..
Looking at the original equipment cable I felt it was time to just change the whole cable out.. So I put the charger on the battery and we went a-shopping down to the parts store to buy another cable..
When we got back I took the charger off and removed/replaced the old cable and turned the key..
The battery shorted out & exploded!! It sounded like a gun went off in the shop echoing all over and my ears were ringing for quite a while afterward from the excessive noise.. My arm and face started burning from the acid spray I just got so I went in the house to wash it off.. Acid was all over the tractor so some baking soda got soda got liberally sprinkled around then washed off..
Theeennnn.. We went a-shopping for another battery..
I removed what was left of the battery and put it in a plastic pan then we went down to spend another C-note on a new one.. After giving things an acid wash I put in the new battery.. After I got it in my mom went out of the shop to the other side of the driveway.. (last time scared the bejesus outta her!) I told her she better walk up the road a spell just to be safe!
The thing cranked right up so I buttoned it up and she's back in business..