2305 replies to this topic

#1921 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • Member No: 73578
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 07:55 PM

M T D  is dead , so pulled the head off & re done the valves ,,

then found the fly wheel had sheered the alloy key off & was out 1/4 turn so replaced that & it still wont start, might have to re check the valves for clearance & such

attachicon.gifPC300144.JPG

Rover Rancher , killed the 12 HP in it , was pushing straight oil into the carbie & drowning the engine so replaced it with a 10 HP Briggs ,

put better tyres on the back as well 8x19.5x8 

attachicon.gifPC300145.JPG       much better for pushing and pulling stuff 

Hey good luck getting it back up and running. Valve clearance sounds like it could be  a good bet.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#1922 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 08:27 PM

20150812_185819.jpg 20150812_185829.jpg 20150812_185842.jpg 20150812_185851.jpg

Ok so it took me a long time to figure out how to upload pics to the forum. ( actually, to locate them in my computer, don't ask..) so we'll have to pretend this is what I did today. Its actually about two weeks old now.

Pictured here is this years version of my snow cab. I built the original last year, using 3/4" and some 1" E.M.T. and some flat stock,etc. I had laying around and it was enclosed by a "soft sider" cab made out of heavy gauge clear poly/vinyl? which was draped around lie a shower curtain. It worked good till about mid February when it started to really crack and tear from getting in and out and moving the plastic when it was freezing cold. This time I built the outer frame out of 1x3 furring strips and attached to the old frame and tractor. Used the same poly clear vinyl but made it fixed to the wood frame with an actual door that opens and closes without moving the plastic. Figured this will eliminate much of that previous problem. I did have to leave it sort of open around the plow controls, closing it in with a double layer of off-set strips of vinyl so I can move controls in/out- up/down what have you and then retract my arm back inside where its dry and actually fairly warm once you work up a sweat;)

#1923 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 08:43 PM

20150812_190117.jpg

So what I worked on this past weekend and today after work was my Duratrac Bolens GT2000. Got it running about three weeks ago by soaking the carb in carb cleaner and basically just putting it back together with all the old parts and making the needed adjustments. Running it off a oil quart filled with gas as a gravity feed fuel tank since tank,lines, pump all gummed up. This is the first time it has run since about 2005 is best I can tell. Need to run it on my deep cycle battery since I don't have the cash to go get another tractor battery at this time. Money better spent on other items it needs. Finally got it to move and drove it around a little just to check it's sea legs. Then put it back in it's hole and started more disassembly to change some steel hydraulic lines. Also removed steering cylinder, cleaned up rust pitting on rod with a file and high speed polisher and filled in pits with JB Weld. Media blasted cylinder and repainted. Freed up frozen ball pivot joint on rear of cylinder and drilled/tapped for a grease fitting which the factory must have figured was to difficult to do :(. Much work still to do

#1924 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,453 Thanks
  • 3,362 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 06:21 AM

All I can see is a Firebird with Trans Am goodies on it, real T/A?

• holdenboy1960 and backyardtinker have said thanks

#1925 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 19, 2015 - 09:09 PM

All I can see is a Firebird with Trans Am goodies on it, real T/A?

Yes, real T/A. Was Starlight Black w/platinum graphics before we decided to paint it for a bunch of reasons, first being it was already far from all original. It was a beautiful car as recently as July 2014. Then I crashed it.......Got it back to drivable but still needs some cosmetic bodywork and another repaint :mad2: but I digress,,,,way to off topic for this thread ;)

Edited by backyardtinker, August 19, 2015 - 09:17 PM.

#1926 holdenboy1960 ONLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted August 21, 2015 - 07:30 PM

attachicon.gif20150812_185819.jpgattachicon.gif20150812_185829.jpgattachicon.gif20150812_185842.jpgattachicon.gif20150812_185851.jpg

Ok so it took me a long time to figure out how to upload pics to the forum. ( actually, to locate them in my computer, don't ask..) so we'll have to pretend this is what I did today. Its actually about two weeks old now.

Pictured here is this years version of my snow cab. I built the original last year, using 3/4" and some 1" E.M.T. and some flat stock,etc. I had laying around and it was enclosed by a "soft sider" cab made out of heavy gauge clear poly/vinyl? which was draped around lie a shower curtain. It worked good till about mid February when it started to really crack and tear from getting in and out and moving the plastic when it was freezing cold. This time I built the outer frame out of 1x3 furring strips and attached to the old frame and tractor. Used the same poly clear vinyl but made it fixed to the wood frame with an actual door that opens and closes without moving the plastic. Figured this will eliminate much of that previous problem. I did have to leave it sort of open around the plow controls, closing it in with a double layer of off-set strips of vinyl so I can move controls in/out- up/down what have you and then retract my arm back inside where its dry and actually fairly warm once you work up a sweat;)

nice unit & very clean in deed 

• backyardtinker said thank you

#1927 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 23, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Somebody got a bath today. I was done cutting the lawn and I looked at a totally filthy tractor and said it's time. I got out the bucket and suds and away I went. I don't normally go crazy washing all the tractors but today I just felt this one needed it. I'll do the others later this week as I was tired today.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0359.JPG

#1928 MGP59DB ONLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 990 Thanks
  • 505 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 02:06 PM

Rusty' Got himself a new Kevlar drive belt . He is ready to bite something now .

002.jpg

#1929 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Somebody got a bath today. I was done cutting the lawn and I looked at a totally filthy tractor and said it's time. I got out the bucket and suds and away I went. I don't normally go crazy washing all the tractors but today I just felt this one needed it. I'll do the others later this week as I was tired today.

cleans up nice

• Buck Tales said thank you

#1930 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 24, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Rusty' Got himself a new Kevlar drive belt . He is ready to bite something now .

attachicon.gif002.jpg

nice looking machine. Like the duals

• MGP59DB said thank you

#1931 backyardtinker OFFLINE  

backyardtinker
  • 249 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted August 25, 2015 - 07:54 PM

20150823_084819.jpg 20150823_084652.jpg 20150823_084951.jpg 20150823_085030.jpg 20150823_085119.jpg Worked on the Bolens Duratrac a bit more this weekend. Got the steering shaft cleaned up and re-painted. Also upgraded the steering column support bushing to some nice heavy bronze bushings that I got off the shelf at my local hardware store. I lucked out in a way because I really was hoping the O.D. of the bushings would be a tight fit so I wouldn't have to braze them in place. I recently installed them on my Craftsman and had to braze them. For some reason, even after heating and leaching out as much of the lube they are apparently impregnated with, they still are a little tough to get brazed up. This time, the I.D. of the column support bores and the O.D. of the bushings was spot on for an interference fit. I just lightly cleaned up the bores with a round file, put the bushings in the freezer one at a time, heated up the bores with my torch and had my daughter rush the bushings out in turn while I had the support good and hot and drove them home. Beautiful interference fit that will not allow for any unwanted movement. Then I repainted the support bracket( painted version not shown). Also made up some mending plates for the bottom of my dash pod. Plastic was all cracked. Melted the cracks back together and riveted in the mending plats. Nice sound repair. Notice the steering shaft collars that I cleaned up by soaking in Jasco prep'n prime phosphoric acid for about two hours. They were previously so caked with heavy rust, I nearly broke my allen wrench trying to loosen the set screws, even after soaking them in PB Blaster and heating them. Even had to use my air hammer to remove from shaft. How they appear in the pictures is exactly how they emerged from the acid.

• Alc, holdenboy1960 and MGP59DB have said thanks

#1932 Buck Tales OFFLINE  

Buck Tales
  • Member No: 73140
  • 150 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted August 26, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Wow, somebody has been busy. It looks like that Bolens is coming along quite nicely.
  • backyardtinker said thank you

#1933 holdenboy1960 ONLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 06:50 AM

M T D  is dead , so pulled the head off & re done the valves ,,

then found the fly wheel had sheered the alloy key off & was out 1/4 turn so replaced that & it still wont start, might have to re check the valves for clearance & such

attachicon.gifPC300144.JPG

Rover Rancher , killed the 12 HP in it , was pushing straight oil into the carbie & drowning the engine so replaced it with a 10 HP Briggs ,

put better tyres on the back as well 8x19.5x8 

attachicon.gifPC300145.JPG       much better for pushing and pulling stuff 

M T D update , 

fixed the engine in it

, pulled the old valves out & put another 2nd hand set in out of another 13.5 HP engine witch had a blown con-rod , ideal doner engine 

goes like a charm now & put 8x19.5 x 8 lawn tread on it for the moment just as a rider  for now  & removed the wheel weights off it as well

it is not retired to light duties  ................................hmmmmmm maybe !! 

• Alc said thank you

#1934 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:43 AM

Edited by Jazz, August 29, 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#1935 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted August 29, 2015 - 08:48 AM

attachicon.gif002.jpg

attachicon.gif002.jpg

That's quite the colour combination! I like it.  We are considering a similar copper finish on a project vehicle. The colour really pops and hides dirt well,,,

• holdenboy1960 and MGP59DB have said thanks