I've been tinkering with an old suburban. Manage to get it to move under its own power today. Still need to fine tune the belt, clutch, and clutch arm. Still need to fab a belt guard also. I've been putting this together from leftover parts. The last picture is what i started with. First saw this in the back of a barn stall. Didn't know what it was, just knew I had to have it. Rick
What did you do TO your Tractor Today: ie wrenching/cosmetics
Posted February 25, 2015 - 01:55 PM
- KennyP and Traill95 have said thanks
Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:04 PM
Cleaned up the clutch parts for my Bolens 1054. Now I have the plate in the oven baking on the new surface.
Posted March 03, 2015 - 02:18 PM
Still tinkering with my old D.B. Suburban. I used an old wheel Horse hood to make a belt guard. Then I took her outside to play in about 8" of snow. The 23x10.50 turfs didn't do very well. I put on a pair of 6x12 ags, and played around until i got cold. I still need to do some fine tuning on the clutch lever and should probably install new belts first. I used the Wheel Horse grill to make a wall hanging. I had to cover the window to get rid of the glare so the grill would show up. Rick
- KennyP said thank you
Posted March 04, 2015 - 10:18 PM
- Gabriel said thank you
Posted March 06, 2015 - 04:37 PM
It fairly nice out so I got to thinking about what I could do. Decided to see if the belt I got with the Jake tiller would work for the drive belt since it was too long for the tiller. Didn't realize I would have to take half the tractor apart to get the old belt off!
After taking all the guards loose, I finally wormed the old belt off. It was the same length of the other belt, so I went to put the 'new' one back on. Had to loosen the engine mount bolts and slide it back in the slots to get it on. Then had to look up how to reset the tension in the manual. Got that done to specs. everything is back together, but I will need a new idler pulley soon.
The old belt is supposed to be 5/8" wide. Measured south of .600" and is cracked all along the inside.
Hopefully, this will keep Jake moving for a bit longer!
- CRFarnsworth and dropped82 have said thanks
Posted March 06, 2015 - 07:26 PM
I put a new belt on the Suburban, and did some adjustments. Works much better now.
I had been using a pair of 13-6.50x6 tires/rims on the front since the original tires were rotted.
I dismantled the original split rims and cleaned up the inside using the lathe. I'm leaving the "patina" on the exterior. Re-assembled the rims with new tubes and some "old 4.80-4.00x8" tires off of a bean buggy. What a PIA to remove the tires from the old rims and re-assemble the split rims. After breaking two of the original bolts I decided to use all new hardware. Guess it gives the old girl a little bling.
In the first two pictures if you listen REALLY CLOSE you can hear her running. Rick
- dropped82 said thank you
Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:10 PM
- CRFarnsworth said thank you
Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:26 PM
Worked on the drive with it this afternoon!
- propane1 said thank you
Posted March 17, 2015 - 07:53 AM
Pulled both idler pulleys of the Sears last night, one didn't feel too bad, but I know it squeals, The other was movable but very tight, it was the one locking up on me after it get hot.
Hopefully TSC will have a match for both
Edited by TAHOE, March 17, 2015 - 07:57 AM.
Posted March 21, 2015 - 02:39 PM
As a bonus, spent a little time on the Deere 420 engine. Replacing the leaky gaskets that were burnt in an engine fire. Pressure washed the chassis. It's gonna be a good mower when it's done. I'm glad the grass is taking its time to grow. I don't want to mount the deck on the Massey.
Posted March 23, 2015 - 09:29 AM
I tore into the 312 over the weekend. While the k301 is getting replaced with a NOS block filled with genuine Kohler parts I am going to give it a quick refresh including re-painting the frame Blitz black, re-painting the sheet metal, replacing the hood with a better piece, installing a correct steering wheel, and a replacement seat. Also need to rebuild the steering box and the linkages.
As it sits right now...
- KennyP said thank you
Posted March 29, 2015 - 08:30 PM
- aevansgatech said thank you
Posted April 01, 2015 - 12:45 PM
Installed a mechanical oil pressure guage on my Kubota and found out that it still has great oil pressure. Put some new shoes on the JD 140.
Posted April 01, 2015 - 06:51 PM
Also found a Bolens RAM ('59, I think) for cheap that I will part out on EBay. It's about 90% there, but doesn't run the best.
Posted April 01, 2015 - 07:03 PM
for the JDx475
I have to add that I like the fact everyone here likes
pictures...gives me a chance to take a break , find the camera, take a pic, then
tip back a cold beverage!
Edited by WHdbJD, April 01, 2015 - 07:07 PM.
- Alc and twostep have said thanks