• Please log in to reply
2305 replies to this topic

#1561 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:13 PM

Got the frame painted on the 1650 , new 23 /10.50 ag tires on the rear and the 16hp Kohler installed on new ISO motor mounts.

Sent from my DROID4

4ply or 6ply ags?   Fluid

• JRJ said thank you

#1562 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 11, 2013 - 11:21 PM

I worked on my belly grader today, sanding off all the loose rust and prepping for painting. I have been debating about reinforcing the pivot hole in the frame I welded shut some time ago.
null_zpsef5115b4.jpg
I was thinking of getting a piece of steel and drilling a hole in it to accept the 5/8" pivot bolt but decided that I would try a 9/16" grade 8 flat washer and just weld it with a edge bead. First I had to move a bunch of junk just to get my welder out of the shed. Talk about needing some organizing. It was fairly neat until I cleaned out my truck. Now all I can do is stand in the door and toss it to the back and hope I don't need it tomorrow. Anyway I did a little welding despite getting one phone call after another.
null_zpsc6678e70.jpg

null_zps1ce25eb7.jpg

null_zps05a9e00c.jpg

Boomer approved.

null_zps1caf1caf.jpg

BTW: for those who might want to make a smart comment, I finished the welding before I drank the "1554".
I'm just a novice (bad) welder.

I think you did a fine job, it looks good and strong....  Fluid

• olcowhand and JRJ have said thanks

#1563 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, I used to sell specialty welding rod but never welded the first line until about a year ago. Mig is easy (my brother calls it a hot glue gun) but doesn't produce welds I would trust my life to. I am just now getting to the point where I can see the puddle.
  • JRJ said thank you

#1564 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Didn't do anything to my tractors today but yesterday I tore into my Simplicity 3414 shuttle that was working smoothly but was a real Grease Pig and was wobbling a bit on the transmission input shaft.
null_zps04672a21.jpg
I was reluctant to tear into something that wasn't broken but after my friend in Indiana sent me a shuttle differential I could dissect and then use to replace mine I gained the confidence, I couldn't get from exploded drawings, to risk opening her up. I thought the replacement was a pretty clean unit but was gummed up with waxy dried up grease. I cleaned it up and decided it was a keeper but when I pulled mine apart I discovered that the planet gears were much smother and had no slop what so ever. The only thing I discovered is that the rear seal was shot ,
null_zpsdc354a5c.jpg
so I replaced the sheive containing the seal and put my shuttle assembly back together and packed with #2 lithium grease per owners manual.
null_zps55bc6698.jpg
The differential was no longer sloppy but as I was running it to make the final adjustments I felt a bit of grease hit me in the face. Rats! it was slinging out the grease as bad as ever.
So much for my fix but it wasn't a total loss as I gained the confidence to go back in and replace the seal when it arrives. I put the tire back on and drove it about the yard and it drives great but will go to the shed until the part comes in next week.

Edited by skunkhome, November 14, 2013 - 10:49 PM.

• olcowhand and JRJ have said thanks

#1565 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Fluid, not one bit tacky, and a great repair.  It looks great to me!

I agree with Daniel, that is really spiffy.
  • JRJ said thank you

#1566 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Time for the 108 to get some love! It now sports an "official" Cub Cadet 3-point hitch!

Image016.jpg

Image017.jpg

• JRJ said thank you

#1567 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 03:57 PM

Machined a remote filter adapter for my Bush Hog HD-12 diesel repower.

DSC00056.JPG

• JRJ and michael.kitko have said thanks

#1568 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Nice job on the filter adapter Daniel. I learned a lot about machine shop operation while I was in the service, all the things that can be made out of a raw piece of metal, and it looks like you fall into that area of masters with the lathe.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, November 17, 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#1569 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Machined a remote filter adapter for my Bush Hog HD-12 diesel repower.

Do you make stuff for other people? I think your work is great. Looks like a store bought filter adapter. Fine job olcowhand.       Fluid      

#1570 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:57 PM

Just waiting on parts,head gaskets,muffler,plugs,plug wires,points,condenser,oil filter.  Then the 816 will be ready for snow.   Fluid

#1571 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 19, 2013 - 10:43 AM

null_zps1ce25eb7.jpg

.... before I drank the "1554".

Now that's funny. I saw the picture before I read the text and I was thinking "That sure looks like 1554? No, can't be. Almost no one on here drinks craft beer." You have good taste. That's one of my top five favorites.

#1572 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 06:31 AM

I have a little catching up to do.
Winter is officially here, so over the last weekend KK and I put all the plows away, reorganized a little, and then pulled the mower deck out from under the Gt5000. We don't have a outside faucet this year (replumbing and need to move it to the other side of the house) and clean out underneath has been by hand this year. I decided it was time to really clean her up.

2 years ago, I did rubberized undercoating... It worked great. Even tho the nooks and crannies had stuff left in there all year, there was no rust. I was stunned. We used the rotary wire brush to take it down to bare again.

My plan was to undercoat again, but the new can I had left wouldn't work. Valve just junk, so we just painted it with rattlecans with plans to do it all over again next fall. It's not an OEM paint job or finish, but it should keep the rust off her until I can do the undercoating again.

image.jpg
  • olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#1573 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 443 Thanks
  • 252 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 01:35 PM

Today I need to rebuild attachment for my 425 JD  When pushing snow over the last week I noticed my blade bouncing around a lot more than it should.  Taking it apart I find the pivot holes worn out.  See how it goes.

#1574 4SPEED OFFLINE  

4SPEED
  • Member No: 8733
  • 6 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 23, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Got the 1772 super smoker ready to throw some snow.

Sent from my DROID4

#1575 PaulL ONLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted December 07, 2013 - 12:00 AM

I got the 1950 Gravely Model L started today for the first time in over 30 years. It was given to me about a year ago in rough shape along with a box of its essential parts. I have done a thorough cleaning, reassembly and an exterior restoration. I ran it only briefly today as I am working in a small garage with the door closed. Tomorrow I will run it outdoors and check out the gears and pto. If it works well, I may use this as my plow tractor for the winter to give it some exercise.
Paul L
  • MH81, HowardsMF155, Cvans and 1 other said thanks