What did you do TO your Tractor Today: ie wrenching/cosmetics

• Please log in to reply
2278 replies to this topic

#1486 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have been tinkering with the old Bush Hog for the last couple days. My plan was to properly install the battery ignition conversion I made for it. So I pulled the fuel tank, battery box and the grill for access to the wiring etc. I was then going to figure out where to mount the coil and where to properly run the wiring. I then made the call to completely rewire everything because the old stuff was just hacked up crap. At this point I got side tracked a bit and dug into the lighting system. I first thought the headlamps were some kind of small sealed beam. As one didn't work I took it apart to find they use a 1156 style bulb. They were a rusty mess inside. Since they were pretty much junk I then made the call to modify them into something workable. I started by using a die grinder with one of those surface conditioning discs (cookie) in it and grinding all the rust out of the reflector bowl. I then soldered a ground wire to the backside that part. Next I sprayed a thick wet coat of hi temp paint in the reflector bowl and quickly lined it with aluminum foil while the paint was wet. I then found some 55 watt fog light bulbs I removed from my old Porsche and mounted them to the reworked bulb holders. Next I cleaned up the glass lens and reassembled everything. Which required making new retainers to hold them together. Next I installed a new light switch and wired everything up with nice soldered connections and heat shrink. Wired in the tail lamp too. I now have a killer set of headlamps that will blind you a block away that look original and cost nothing but my time. Now I just need to get back to making it run.

Jack.. Oh I will get some pics when I get the battery back in it.

Edited by Jack, July 09, 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• olcowhand and backwoods have said thanks

#1487 nade-em OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Changed the oil, hydraulic fluid and filter on my 1982 JD 314. Hardest part was getting off the cooling tube.

I don't think it's ever been off .

#1488 nade-em OFFLINE  

• 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Tightened up the steering on the JD 314 . Got it a little better . It was really sloppy , the steering wheel would do 1/4 turns before the wheels moved. Now the steering box is tighter , i'm waiting on bushings from JD store ( bushings on steering shaft through frame was sloppy and ovaled. We'll see what happens.

#1489 TerryD OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5916
  • 132 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 12:08 AM

Um, cleaned the Walbro LME 37 for the 3rd and 4th time on my MF10 with no luck. Now soaking in a mixture of vinegar, oxyclean, dish soap, and ammonia.

#1490 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,215 Thanks
  • 29,686 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Starting cleanup on the Massey 1010 in preparation to put her up for sale.  Just don't use her enough to justify keeping her.  I do hate to sell her, but better to pay bills than watch her sit.  

• JRJ said thank you

#1491 esbbent OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 236 Thanks
  • 170 posts

Posted July 28, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Cleaned up and primered drive parts on MF 8H to have them ready to paint and then work on putting more of the tractor back together.

• fishingbud said thank you

#1492 nade-em OFFLINE  

• 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Got the steering shaft bushing in, much better!  Now i can tell the tie rods are loose.

#1493 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Pulled the Gravely 5460 out, made sure it cranked, put a battery charger on it for an hour or so.  Also pulled out my two 30 inch bush hog decks and sharpened the blades and got the oil level right.  If the weather holds out, I'll head down to my Dad's house and try to cut the grass.

I'd love to take a Massey, but I'm not sure the belt drives would hold up to the thick grass and brush.

#1494 dropped82 OFFLINE  

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,329 Thanks
  • 1,186 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Well got bored and kept looking at my Case 222 and the 446 parts tractor. Well grabbed a few wrenches and here is where I'm at so far. I have everything needed to make a big wheel out of this tractor so why not? Hopefully have it rolling tonight. Also have a set of 8-16 AGS to mount on the back. I need some fenders though. The 446 parts tractor is a long frame and the 222 is a shorty so the fenders are 3.5" longer. Maybe I can cut them. Here are a few pics.

I also have an extra sleeve hitch that I made a while back for a 400 series. So its only natural to mount it.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#1495 fishingbud OFFLINE  

• Member No: 37921
  • 41 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well after the poker run, my mf7 vibrated loose the carb and engine mounts. So i replaced bolts and loctited everything i could. Pulled the engine off.....it was sure fun, even though my bud towed me thru most of the poker run with a craftsman lt2000. I had the only massey tho lol

#1496 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Tuesday, I unbolted and fought the Tecumseh 12 ( running, dead starter)clear of the frame on my Noma/Stiga Park 2000e, not a fun job with the clutch and oil drain tube configuration.

yesterday, I dropped the Newer (98 BS diamond I/C series) 15.5 in. It was a bolt in except for the modified fuel tank mounts, modified exhaust, and the different wiring. The stock pulley slipped right on and it used the same bolt.

Today I tightened down the engine with nice shiny new hardware, started on the wiring, and the fuel tank mounts.
Discovered that an exhaust modification is in order. I can stretch the tube down, and use the stock under body muffler, or I can add a stack, or I can point it strait out the arse. No matter what, some cutting and welding is in order

#1497 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,336 Thanks
  • 1,448 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:27 PM

To keep occupied and since it has been on the back burner while I worked on the house,  I painted the snowblower for the 12H yesterday and started reassembling it tonite.  Need to order some decals for it and it should be ready in about a week.

#1498 hatedge OFFLINE  

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Took the engine out of the MF 14 and opened it up to find a broken piston.  :mad2:

• KennyP said thank you

#1499 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:07 AM

Took the engine out of the MF 14 and opened it up to find a broken piston.  :mad2:

that stinks!!

I Painted the new engine mounts on the 400, while the engine was out I changed the oil/filter and fan belt. Last set the engine back down to find that the PTO pully was sitting about 1/2 belt with too far forward... After checking a few things I have found that the driveshaft still needed to slide about 3/16" further on to the hydro. I hope to have her running in the next week.

• hatedge said thank you

#1500 michael.kitko OFFLINE  

• Member No: 28357
  • 460 Thanks
  • 439 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:04 PM

Well, after getting back from deployment, I have finally went and looked at my tractor in the garage. Bad news here. It ended up with me pulling the battery, pulling the battery tray, and making a paste of baking soda and water and slathering it everywhere. Yep, that is right, the JD Strongbox battery has been leaking for the last three months. Now, tomorrow, I have to correct the rest of that issue. I am starting to think the tractor wants a full restore. -Mike

Edited by michael.kitko, August 24, 2013 - 09:05 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you