Garden Tractor Forums banner

What did you do TO your Tractor Today: ie wrenching/cosmetics

374K views 3K replies 395 participants last post by  backwoods 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My BIL had a good idea. Split "What Did You Do with Your Tractors Today" into two stickies, this one dealing with what you did TO your tractor (general service, repair, cosmetics), & the original sticky to what you did WITH your tractor, such as tilling, plowing, hauling, etc.
This will be a sister thread to the other, with this also being an infinite thread.
So tell us, What did you do TO (not with) your tractor today?

#3 ·
Finished make a new rear PTO shaft to drive 40 GPM hydraulic pump with with one of the Masseys or Snappers for used oil pickup.
Right now I used a 5 GPM diaphragm pump. Trying to speed up the operation a bit

Reactions: holdenboy1960
#5 ·
Yesterday I cleaned the crud off the fins on the hydro on the Ford LGT 165. Then I turned the tires around to check clearence.

The stock tire size is 23x10.5-12 and this tractor has 26x12-12 on it. So there wasn't a lot of clearence between the tire and the sleeve hitch lift bar.
here is a before.

after I turned them.

I will turning them back soon. I think they stick out to far like this. I will have to put the tires and wheels from the 145 on this one if I want to use the sleeve hitch and tire chains.

Also worked on freeing up the seat slide. Got it to slide some, but it won't lock in place so go up a hill or stab the forward pedal and you get that falling feeling as the seat slides back.

#7 ·
harrycu said:
Mounted my new Nanco 23x10.50x12 lugs onto my rims for the new JD212. Took them to a tire shop and had them mounted and filled for 25 bucks. Now, that's also my favorite way of fluid filling my tires. :laughingteeth:

Harry
I bet they look sweet on there,did you take any pics ?

#8 ·
mjodrey said:
I bet they look sweet on there,did you take any pics ?
No, not yet. I haven't mounted them on the tractor yet, either. It has been raining here, but it has stopped now. I am about to go out and work on it. I also have to mount my tri-ribs on the front and install my new motor mounts.

Harry

#10 ·
My JD 330 had a oversize battery in it when I got it that was sitting bout a inch higher on one side. Re-engineered (bent and beat flat) the original sides of the battery tray and then slit some old gas line to cover the edges of the top of the grill frame. Nice tight fit and setting level now...

#11 ·
On the AC B-10,

started reassembling the differential...
need one axle washer still

replaced one key in the bevel gearbox, reassembled and painted...
waiting on the last seal

cleaned, deburred and painted many parts

painted transmission... done

ground the rough edges to square and smooth on front weight plate,
painted... done

nearly finished preping the frame for paint

#14 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Does working on GTT count as working on my tractor? Seems to be what I have been doing lately. Plus it is too cold out for me to really wanna go outside.
I've not had a true day off in over 2 weeks now, but plan to get shop time Sunday...my next day off. Gotta get my propane line hooked back up to the shop. Took that line off to side that side of the house. Gonna be pretty cool Sunday.

#18 ·
#22 ·
Meangreen said:
Out of town this weekend but did start the JD330 tonight just to listen at it idle, gotta love a diesel :) Yep, need a GT intervention! lol
mikebramel said:
i dont think anymore diesel fumes are gonna cure your mental illness
mjodrey said:
They might if you smell them long enough:angel:,so watch it.:laughingteeth:
Oh he loves the fumes...so much that he fires that chainsaw up every afternoon also to get the aroma of the 2-stroke oil! The fumes & a beer or 2 (or 3), and he's one happy camper!:bigrofl: :smilewink:

#23 ·
I just got back from dad's place. I charged the Elec Trak while I picked the popcorn for drying. I plan to charge it once a month to keep the batteries ok over the winter here.

Just got all the popcorn hung. Neat sticky thread!

#24 ·
olcowhand said:
Oh he loves the fumes...so much that he fires that chainsaw up every afternoon also to get the aroma of the 2-stroke oil! The fumes & a beer or 2 (or 3), and he's one happy camper!:bigrofl: :smilewink:
Chainsaw is not as much fun, chainsaw=work :(

#25 ·
Meangreen said:
Chainsaw is not as much fun, chainsaw=work :(
Dad always says, "Wood heats you at least 2 or three times.... cutting, splitting, burning" ... LOL

#26 ·
daytime dave said:
I just got back from dad's place. I charged the Elec Trak while I picked the popcorn for drying. I plan to charge it once a month to keep the batteries ok over the winter here.

Just got all the popcorn hung. Neat sticky thread!
Pic's of the popcorn, I may try planting next year....