Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1969 B10 Won't Start. Who Designed The Dash?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • Member No: 32842
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:44 PM

B10 won't start. Did so easily not a week ago.  Tried jumping with car, zip. Ended up tearing the entire dash apart to see what's not connecting or if I have no ground, and wow, what the h. That dash is almost impossible to get off. And try getting the starter off-Battery has to come out and one of the nuts is right against the steering column. Gas tank straps loose but gas line goes under the straps so can't remove that to get at the ammeter, and the choke/throttle are unable to be removed easily either. Easily 90 mins of pure hacking and it's still not apart. Judas who designed that?  Battery on the charger now. Starter contacts were quite rusty and cable end there also bad.  Everything else is solid, motor was new 2 yrs ago and new batt. Wiring all good.  Hoping it was that rust or possibly the starter.  Tix me off-such tight spaces and so much work.

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:55 PM

imagesCAWOKRRW.jpg I hate bad designs!imagesCAF0OTL5.jpg

#3 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Charged battery, zilch. Can validate the starter switch is good. Starter will not respond. Took it off, hooked it up to car battery, zilch.  Took it apart-appears pristine.  No wires bad, nothing appears out of order. So...*throws up hands*...now what?

BTW, what is FIELD and what is A on the starter. It's a Delco 1101988 4031 is the number on the unit..

#4 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,619 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:13 PM

A is the armature that turns. Field are the windings around the inside of the case. I would ask how the brushes look.

Edited by LilysDad, June 05, 2013 - 07:15 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Brushes are very big and the springs holding them to the armature are fine.  Reading up on this - it's a generator also, I'd forgotten. Possibly Voltage Reg is bad?  Time to read how to test this stuff...

#6 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Ran that test and mine won't run on the A side at all.

#7 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Took apart, noticed brushes had a ridge at one end, filed that flat, then took emery cloth to the commutator and made that all shiny, and then took a nail file and cleaned out the ridges after, to make sure no filings were causing each of the individual (whatever you call them) to arc together.  Tested each and they all seemed close when checking resistance...greased up the ends and put it in-and it worked.  And, now it really turns fast. SO, it must have been near failure.  That, and combo of the red wire going to the starter button being fairly rusty, may not have helped allow proper electricity to flow...

Thanks to Youtube...

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 05:45 PM

The answer is Simplicity. Did you get her running?

#9 eriklane OFFLINE  

eriklane
  • 10 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:09 PM

yep.