• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:05 PM

A couple weeks ago, I got my license, and it will be a junior license until I turn 18; however, if I take drivers Ed I can get it sooner (Not sure exactly how much sooner). The other day a buddy and I where talking about one of the restrictions of a junior license, but I don't remember which one. Well, I had to look it up because neither of us knew what it was.

In the list of restrictions, it said that I can not drive a vehicle over 10,000 pounds, and I can not tow anything with a gross weight of 3,000 pounds. Because of this, I can not drive the F450, and I can not pull my car trailer, which is over 3,000 pounds by itself. Basically, this will put a hinder on my tractor show plans for another year!

The big reason I want it, is because in my welding class we build a solar powered car every year (or supposed to anyway) and then that summer it goes to Texas to be raced. If one is built next year, there is a very, very good chance that I will be going to Texas for the race. The problem is that to go, I need a senior license, which I will not have in time without driver's ed.

I think I am going to take the class next fall, or sooner if there is one.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ryan I can understand where you are coming from. If you would talk a person at the D/L office and explain all of this to someone in charge maybe-just maybe they can suggest something, then on the other hand you may not like what they have as an answer. One big problem I can see is that you will be driving thru several states and as we all know, every state has a little different law. I hope it can be worked out for you.

Whatever the outcome is be understanding and I wish you well with the races.

Ryan it never hurts to have the drivers ed. class behind you.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, June 04, 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:23 PM

If you're 17 and pass drivers ed. you can apply for a standard class D license, without drivers ed. you have to wait until you're 18.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:13 PM

. The problem is that to go, I need a senior license, which I will not have in time without driver's ed.

I think I am going to take the class next fall, or sooner if there is one.

Or.....     you can start dating a really hot, over 18 college girl with a drivers licsense. :dancingbanana:

• Team_Green said thank you

#5 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Ryan,  I would suggest taking the DE class.  I'm not up to date on the way New York insurance works, but here in the state of Indiana if you show proof that you passed DE it will save you some on premiums.  Being a young driver your insurance will not be cheap.  My two son's took the class when they first started driving and not only did it save ol' Dad some bucks, I believe it made them better and safer drivers.   

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I did not think about the difference in laws of other states! That will be something I check up on when I go out of state.

And I forgot about the lower insurance cost, it doe lower it a good amount.

#7 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:33 AM

The instructor might actually teach something also.. I hope he or she does.. I have heard some of em up here are useless..  Good luck on your quest for a full license.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 11:07 AM

The instructor might actually teach something also.. I hope he or she does.. I have heard some of em up here are useless..  Good luck on your quest for a full license.

I took DE in high school, and the football coach who taught it (got paid to anyway) was totally useless & didn't teach the class at all.  Like an extra study hall.  :wallbanging:

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 02:04 PM

our kids have to have drivers ed under 18, without it....no license.

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think you should take the training if possible. You may get your license sooner but you'll also get valuable driving experience and hopefully some professional training which is well worth the effort IMO. Something to consider is that if you plan to have a career where your licence is a requirement to do your job then becoming the best driver possible will be a valuable asset. If you loose your licence you could loose your job!

#11 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:08 PM

It's a requirement that a person must take drivers education before getting a permit here in NC. A person must have a certificate notarized, stamped and signed by the governor (I may be making the governor part up....lol). We get our Learners permit at 15 (can only drive with a guardian) and drivers license at 16 (drive by themselves with curfews). There is a provisional license for people still in high school. If a person fails all of their classes in high school the state takes away there license. If a person quits high school they don't get their license till they are 18.