FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 10:38 PM

After checking with quite a few shops, I found someone selling some. It was reasonable, $10 for a 5 gallon bucket. Now this weekend, I can melt it all down and fill my box and the rest into ingot's for later use. Depending on how much is left, I may pick up another bucket to melt down and have on hand in ingot form. Given a rough guess of 150-170 lbs per bucket, that is about $.05 a pound. One of these days, I want to try my hand at melting done some weight to make some rear wheel weights once I have enough melted down and made into ingots.

#2 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 02:34 PM

It would be cool to be able to cast your own scaled down MF suitcase weights for the front!
:thumbs:

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 03:56 PM

I would like to get into this someday. I need a small forge and the ability for sand casting. The ideal thing would be to save all the zinc weights and use them for the suitcase weights. With sand casting, I could even put a MF logo on the side :thumbs:

I may pour a weight that can bolt under the front frame. There is room directly behind the front bumper under the frame. I have to look at the size and room I have to work with and how much it would weigh first.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 04:36 PM

It would be great to cast some suitcase weights. Glad you found a supplier for lead. Just be careful with the stuff.

#5 justwalt OFFLINE  

justwalt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1318
  • 4 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 08:09 PM

Scrap lead is about $1.75 per pound, or $3500.00 per ton.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 08:44 PM

Yes, do be careful. That's nasty stuff. The fumes from heating can be really bad. We used to work with 60-40 solder all the time with our faces right over it. Never gave it a thought.

Now I forget things quickly, drool on my pillow & talk to myself a lot. Or is that 'cause I'm older and have a wife & kids?

#7 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 08:02 AM

If you are wanting lead you might want to find as much as you can soon. More and more states are outlawing using lead in wheel weights. The options are steel or zinc weights. You might want to check truck tire dealers also for used weights.

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 08:30 AM

Mike, that is exactly what I am doing! I have some small teflon bread pans (like the gift basket size, maybe 6" long) and I plan to get what I can and melt it down. Worst case, it is only going to go up in value. The good thing is I drive around all day (and in a crossover suv) so I can just load it when I find it. I have one or two shops I can get it for free at, but many places have been cleaned out, or sell it to scrap guys. The place I grabbed the $10 bucket from sells to scrappers, but his price to me was very fair so I gladly bought it. I would like to still pour wheel weights that mount inboard of the wheels and weigh about 50lbs to 75lbs. I am not looking for the most weight here, just a way to replace my cement weights that stick out.

I melt outside and for the most of the work, I am no where near the lead. I do want to stress again though, the fumes are really not the main issue (unless overheated, it does not have very hazardous fumes) BUT what is very dangerous is the dust that gets on your hands when working with it! Lead is entered to the body mainly from ingestion. I use those throw away brown gloves to handle it, and just now I am thinking that maybe latex gloves under them would be a good idea. I wear a mask when sorting out the lead, as again the dust is what is bad for you. Melting outside cuts down any fumes in a major way.

I have tried to find the "holy grail truck weights" Heck, I even have a good friend who works in a truck shop! The problem is, many truck places either do not balance them, or use the new ballast weighting systems inside the tire. Any high end shops that still balance them with lead weights have been "claimed" by the scrap guys...

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 05:24 PM

Another place you might check with are any indoor shooting ranges. You may not end up with pure lead (steel, jacket materials, etc) in the early 90's I remember a local guy having to pay people to come get it & haul it away.